No Carry in IL

PDA

semper_fidelis
July 25, 2008, 01:14 AM
Hello I live in Illinois where it is illegal to carry a concealed firearm. So I've been thinking about what i should carry. I always have my keys (3 car and 2 home) and my Buck tempest spring assist. But I think I need something else because keys aren't that good and somethings don't rectify stabbing. I've though about a CIA ice scraper (pictured below) flash light I cant carry a baton or flail (local law and pain to carry). Do you have any ideas.

If you enjoyed reading about "No Carry in IL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carl Levitian
July 25, 2008, 06:24 AM
An AA mini-mag is a handy kuboton/fist load, looks totally normal with no red flags, and as it gets dark every single night really does come in handy sometimes. Drop in the 5.95 Nite-ez LED conversion for almost double the run time, and you have a nice tool.

Add a screw driver in a pocket, and your good to go.

Of course you could always carry a stout walking stick. Buys you distance, looks low alert, and is good for stray varmits.

hso
July 25, 2008, 08:07 AM
There are plenty of tools that serve as well as some of these "stealth" weapons that would be easily explained while one of those might be challenging to explain to a LEO.

Carl has pointed out two obvious good choices.

BTW, I've had those "ice scrapers" and they don't scrape ice very well and they aren't very comfortable in the hand being used on a practice dummy. It only breaks skin where the skin is exposed and you still have to get a good punch in to do that.

Carl Levitian
July 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
It's a bummer living in a state that will not trust you with a firearm. Here in the Peoples Republik Of Maryland we have never had a CCW option, nor likely ever will. I feel your frustration. So I go around each day with certain "innocent" items on my person, or stashed within reach in my car. These items are low level enough, that I recently flew on SouthWest airlines with all my "normal" edc stuff on me with the exeption of my pocket knife in checked lugage. The TSA people never blinked at my minimag, Cross pen, extra large bandana and pocket of quarters, Dickies work belt with heavy duty brass buckle, and my ever present blackthorn stick. They only wanted to put my stick through the X-ray machine to make sure there was nothing inside it.

Sometimes innocent items are good because they will always be with you, not to mention that if something should happen, they still look innocent at an inquest after the fact.

It's all about options.

Realbigo
July 25, 2008, 03:06 PM
I carried a $10roll of quarters and then rapped in clear packing tape on many a flight, and never got a raised eyebrow

Kingcreek
July 25, 2008, 04:15 PM
Its not illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Illinois. It just has to be cased and unloaded unless you are LEO, retired LEO, or a Chicago alderman.
Depending on where in Illinois I am, I carry one or more of the following:
knife, OC spray, surefire flashlight, and sometimes a walking stick of seasoned black locust.
Hopefully, we will live to see real legal concealed carry in Illinois. some of us are working on it.

semper_fidelis
July 26, 2008, 02:08 AM
I've though about the walking stick but the problem is I'm not quite old enough to carry a walking stick and am a horrible actor so it would raise a lot of eyebrows. Lets all hope by the time we have kids or grandkids (if you already have kids) that all states will allow its citizens to carry a concealed firearm (loaded and in a holster). I've heard mixed results about the CIA ice scraper but not much about the "heart attack" what do you know about it?

JShirley
July 26, 2008, 08:49 AM
Innocent items like lights. My suggestion would sound almost exactly like Carl's first few sentences.

I've also frequently carried a little Gerber flashlight on a 550 lanyard. Handy...and has reach.

John

SeanSw
July 26, 2008, 10:12 AM
You don't need an excuse to walk with a cane. You should carry one if you feel like it while letting the public watch with squinty eyes. I do not look very old yet I have knee pain and a bad hip from a motorcycle accident. When the weather is right I walk with a painful limp. If I'm in pain, or simply want the comfort of a stout piece of wood, there should be no justification needed. The world isn't a parking spot and there won't be a handicapped plate attached to my stick.

I always liked the idea of having a large hex nut braided with a cord loop. Call it a keychain. Impact weapons aren't kosher for carry anymore than a pistol in IL so the corded flashlight is probably the best idea of you're going that route.

Fred Fuller
July 26, 2008, 10:58 AM
A number of states have specific laws against what are called 'slung shot'- including IL.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-1

(720 ILCS 5/24?1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24?1)
Sec. 24?1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, black?jack, slung?shot, sand?club, sand?bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife...

A large hex nut braided on a loop, even if called a keychain, might not be too easy to explain.

A small metal flashlight is pretty innocuous, however, and if placed on a cord loop so it hangs usefully around the neck, might well not draw a second glance.

You want tools to help get you OUT of trouble- not INTO it...

Stay Safe,

lpl/nc

22-rimfire
July 26, 2008, 11:38 AM
If a knife makes you feel better carry one that is innocuous. But you don't want to get into a knife fight. Plus most of the bad guys have guns; what good is a knife except as a tool?

mallc
July 26, 2008, 06:31 PM
The smart CC holder seldom finds themselves in situations of such dire need. It's easier to cross the street when you see trouble coming than to explain why you were in the alley in the first place.

People who are constantly afraid of their surroundings should not be allowed to carry firearms in public. You never know what will set them off.

Scott
FFL, IA CWP,

Jeff White
July 26, 2008, 06:55 PM
Besides the things that are prohibited by name in Section 24 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes, other items could get you charged with UUW if you intend to use them as a weapon. 4 cell maglight or streamlight in your car...ok, put that same four cell into your waistband and go into the bar and get in an altercation and you might be looking at a UUW charge.

Look at this from Section 24 Deadly Weapons:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+24&ActID=1876&ChapAct=720%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B5%2F&ChapterID=53&ChapterName=CRIMINAL+OFFENSES&SectionID=60752&SeqStart=50800000&SeqEnd=53500000&ActName=Criminal+Code+of+1961%2E
(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same
unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or

In other words just about anything that you intend to use unlawfully against another can get you charged. Who defines unlawfully? Good question. Being that most acts of self defense evolve from a lessor conflict, strong words, pushing, shoving.... and it often won't be clear who was at fault what you perceive as self defense could be seen by the police and the states attorney as UUW and aggravated battery. To simplify it somewhat, if you are accosted by a mugger in the mall parking lot and you smack him with your maglight, everyone is most likely going to see that as self defense, but if you stick your maglight in your waistband and go into the bar and an altercation turns into a fight, you might not have the same easy time explaining self defense.

Your best bet in Illinois is OC (spray not open carry, it seems that anytime you mention OC around here some thinks it means to strap on your hogleg :uhoh:) and a good bright light.

OC is specifically exempted in Section 24 if you are 18 or older:

(3) Carries on or about his person or in any vehicle, a tear gas gun projector or bomb or any object containing noxious liquid gas or substance, other than an object containing a non‑lethal noxious liquid gas or substance designed solely for personal defense carried by a person 18 years of age or older; or

I recommend OC and a good, bright light. Flash the light in their eyes to dazzle them, spray and run.

Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "No Carry in IL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!