Added Memory Pad to 1911 Grip Safety, Real Easy. What Do You Think?

PDA

JohnnyOrygun
July 25, 2008, 04:49 AM
I have had a SA Mil Spec since about 2003, I had the drop in grip safety left over from an old Combat Commander I used to have so I put it in my SA Mil Spec. Between the longer barrel and extra weight of the government model compared to the commander, the drop in grip safety keeps me from getting "bit".

But anyhow I am wandering away from why I created this thread. The drop in grip safety didn't have the memory pad like some of the better grip safeties have and sometimes if I didn't get my grip just right the safety wasn't deactivated. So me being the rather frugal (cheap) guy that I am I got to thinking, I had some of that epoxy like they sell on TV that comes in a tube and looks like play dough, why couldn't I mold a memory pad from that epoxy and apply it to my grip safety. If it didn't work the worst I would be out is a new drop in grip safety and if it worked, then I wouldn't be out anything since I already had the epoxy.

So I took out some really fine wet/dry sand paper (autobody stuff) and carefully sanded off the black finish on a small area of my grip safety. Then I mixed up a little of the epoxy (just knead it in your hand till it gets hot) and I stuck it on the safety and formed it roughly to what I thought it should look like and let it cure for a day or so. Then I took a really fine cut file set and shaped it and added some horizontal groves to give it some gripping surface and I colored it black with a sharpie. It looks ok and now I don't have to worry about getting my grip 100% right to deactivate the grip safety.
Here is a picture of it.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/johnatalley/SImHtEeb3bI/AAAAAAAAALc/sx929arvg7k/s800/IMG00028.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality its from Cell Phone Camera.

But anyhow what do y'all think? I know its not the nicest looking, but it is functional. So anyhow let me know... I'll try and not cry like my daughter does anytime someone says something she doesn't like:p

If it seems like I am rambling or my English isn't right, it's 2AM and I can hardly keep my eyes open.
Little John

If you enjoyed reading about "Added Memory Pad to 1911 Grip Safety, Real Easy. What Do You Think?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eric F
July 25, 2008, 07:59 AM
If it works then great. On obe of my old guns I had to pin the grip safety. On another one I applied 2 layers of grip tape. Both worked fine.

combatantr2
July 25, 2008, 08:28 AM
its more appropriately called the 'speed bump.' It aids the shooter in the positive engagement of the grip safety.

There's a bit of a chance your mem pad could fall off during contact with one of your cleaning agents or lubes, just my 2cents.

JohnnyOrygun
July 25, 2008, 03:30 PM
combatantr2 I have thought of that, but I tried to get a knife blade under it and pull it off, couldn't do it. It might be possible for some chemicals to loosen it, but I haven't had that problem yet... it really seems very well attached. But if it comes off, oh well. You are right it is a "speed bump", it was 2AM when I was posting this and couldn't remember the proper name. Thank You for the correction, "memory pad" didn't seem quite right, but at the time it was all I could think of.

As you can no doubt tell, I tend to recycle gun parts... the grips as some may have noticed have the Colt Stallion medallion, they are also from that old Combat Commander I used to have... had to sell it for money reasons :banghead: It was a great gun.

Anyhow thanks for your input all and anyone else have any thoughts please don't hesitate to post them.

Thanks All!

AndyC
July 25, 2008, 03:40 PM
I remember gunsmiths welding speed-bumps onto grip-safeties back in the 80's - I seem to recall that I first read about this concept in an article by Massad Ayoob back then.

As for yours - nice idea, as long as it stays in place.

ochmude
July 25, 2008, 03:45 PM
If it looks stupid, but it works, it's not stupid. That right there doesn't even look stupid, AND it works.

AZAndy
July 25, 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm stunned that you were able to put a Colt grip safety on a Springfield. Had a heck of a time finding a beavertail that would fit my SA GI without major reshaping of the frame. Finally found one from King's that worked with a little thinning of the engagement arm and a little filing on the bulge just under the hammer.

That said, I think the memory pad looks really good. You've prompted me to maybe try something similar on mine, as it also lacks the pad-- haven't had a problem yet, but I will sooner or later. I'll probably paint a pink peace symbol in it so as to astound and impress my acquaintances. :)

JohnnyOrygun
July 25, 2008, 07:38 PM
Ochmude thank you, it does work... I think it might look kind of hooky, but it works and I like that.

AZandy, I had no problem putting it in. Needed no fitting, just dropped right in. If you look closely you will notice that it doesn't match the grip tang cuts on the SA, so from a aesthetic point of view its not perfect, but from a functional point of view it works just fine. I think the pink peace symbol would certainly make a statement and shock. :)

Thanks for all your opinions, if it ever does fall off I will post here what chemical caused it to loosen.

combatantr2
July 25, 2008, 10:46 PM
JohnNRA; from the looks of it I know its a working modification. Im more okey with grip safeties with a speed bump than pinning them on a carry 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Added Memory Pad to 1911 Grip Safety, Real Easy. What Do You Think?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!