"New" Bisley Vaquero for me and a question

PDA

PennsyPlinker
July 25, 2008, 03:55 PM
Greetings all

After stupidly passing up on one of these earlier on this year, I came across another and snapped it up immediately when I discovered it in the case a few weeks ago. It is not new of course, only new to me.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/PennsyPlinker/bisleyvaquero.jpg

This is a .45 LC revolver, and it says Vaquero on the side, not New Vaquero. I am shooting weenie cowboy action loads out of it right now for about 60 a pop! :what: Obviously, I need to start reloading to make it feasible to keep pulling the trigger. My question is this. How hot can I load this thing? I am assuming it is not as heavily built as a Super Blackhawk, but beyond that I don't know. I am not wanting to shoot as hot as possible, I just want to shoot something with a little more oomph to it.

Thanks.

Oh yeah. Do I need to call Ruger to find out when it was made, or are there other sources? The serial number starts out 57-. Okay, two questions. :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about ""New" Bisley Vaquero for me and a question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zxcvbob
July 25, 2008, 04:14 PM
What diameter is the cylinder?

PennsyPlinker
July 25, 2008, 04:33 PM
The cylinder is 1 3/4" in diameter. And I called Ruger. It was built in October of 1998.

Matt-J2
July 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
The old Vaqueros are basically just fixed sight Blackhawks. They even made them in .44mag, so you can load those .45s about as hot as you want.

TallPine
July 25, 2008, 06:29 PM
I had a friend with one just like that. He let me shoot six of his "mad dog" reloads out of it - I think he said they chrono'd at 1500 fps !!!!

The gun might handle it, but I can't. Really the only bad part was the trigger guard smacking back into my second finger. I declined to shoot more than six. For comparision, I thought a Blackhawk .44 mag was merely exhilarating :)

My "old" Vaquero is a plowhandle. It seems to roll back and up rather than slamming straight back like the Bisley. My standard reload is 250g/10g Unique.

PennsyPlinker
July 25, 2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys! I like the looks of both the Bisley and the regular plow handle grips, but my mitts are so big that the plow handle is difficult for me to hold well.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/PennsyPlinker/bisleyhandgrip.jpg

This is me holding the Bisley Vaquero.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/PennsyPlinker/singlesixhandgrip.jpg

This is me holding my Single Six, which as near as I can tell has the same size grip as other Blackhawks.

My hands are big enough that the handgun that fits the best is my Mk I Desert Eagle. Am I allowed to write that on the revolver forum? :eek:

zxcvbob
July 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
My standard reload is 250g/10g Unique.

That's a classic hot load for .45 Colt, without getting ridiculous about it.

I also like 7.5 to 8 grains of Red Dot, or 12 grains of Herco (that Herco load is way up there, I don't shoot it very often.)

Jim March
July 25, 2008, 10:01 PM
Whoa. Yeah, you should try the "pinkie under" hold for SURE on that Single Six, and you might have big enough hands to do it on the Ruger Bisley!

Ye Gods.

Anyways. Yeah, your Bisley can shoot all large-frame Ruger-SA class 45LC loads, including the "wild child" stuff from Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore, Grizzly Ammo and Doubletap, or similar handloads.

Two points here: you can match or even slightly exceed 44Magnum bullet energy specs (load weight and speed) but NOT pressure. That sounds odd, but what's going on is, the larger 45LC shell means you can get the same work done at less pressure which is a good thing. DO NOT try to hit 44Magnum pressure levels or you could blow the gun up.

Reloading these things "to the edge" (or hell, reloading ANYTHING "to the edge") isn't very safe for somebody just starting out. At a minimum, read everything John Linebaugh wrote about the 45LC in your class of gun here:

http://www.customsixguns.com/

...under "writings". As of this moment the site appears to be temporarily bust but I'm sure it'll be back up soon.

JNewell
July 25, 2008, 10:08 PM
My "old" Vaquero is a plowhandle. It seems to roll back and up rather than slamming straight back like the Bisley. My standard reload is 250g/10g Unique.

It's a personal choice. Lots of folks find the Bisley grip handles stout loads much better than any of the Ruger plowhandle variations.

BlkHawk73
July 26, 2008, 08:37 AM
The old Vaqueros are basically just fixed sight Blackhawks. They even made them in .44mag, so you can load those .45s about as hot as you want.

yes and NO. Yes they are basically fixed sight models of the BH/SBH all of which use the same cylinders and with the difference of the topstrap, the same cylinder frame as well. NO in that you can load them :as hot s you want". Even the Rugers have limits. ANYONE reloading should get a reloading manual/book and use that info to get thier loads worked up. With this lg frame Ruger, don't go over the maximum for any Ruger Only loads. Some ppl might want hotter than that but...NO:banghead:

PennsyPlinker
July 26, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Jim, you may recall a while back, we had an exchange on modifying the grip on a regular Blackhawk to accommodate my hand. Now you can see why I was wondering. :D

I'm not interested in seeing how much powder I can stuff into a cartridge. I was just wondering where this thing fit in on the Ruger spectrum of stout handguns. I do know I want to shoot at least a little hotter than cowboy action loads though. ;)

Jim March
July 26, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm not interested in seeing how much powder I can stuff into a cartridge. I was just wondering where this thing fit in on the Ruger spectrum of stout handguns. I do know I want to shoot at least a little hotter than cowboy action loads though.

If it wasn't clear yet: the topstrap change from the Blackhawk/SuperBlackhawk family to the Vaquero family does NOT reduce frame strength. The Vaq topstrap looks weaker, but it isn't. It doesn't have the adjustable-sight cutout at the rear of the topstrap that weakens the adjustable-sight gun's otherwise beefier-looking topstrap.

So the "Old Vaquero" like yours can take any load that works in a large-frame Ruger SA, adjustable or fixed sight.

TallPine
July 26, 2008, 05:50 PM
PennsyPlinker: you should change your screen name to "Fezzik" if the rest of you matches your hands!

:what:

Why do you need a gun? Just throw a rock at them :D

PennsyPlinker
July 26, 2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks Jim, for the clarification. I was pretty sure that was how things stood, but clarity is always good.

Tall Pine, I don't quite measure up to Andre for size, but I am not a little guy. It took me quite a while to develop a decent grip for many of the handguns I have owned. A S&W 500 mag looks just about right in my hand (as does a Desert Eagle), and an NAA mini sends people into fits of laughter. No kidding, I was at Cabela's one day and just playing around with an NAA mini. I held in it my hand, and said, "Stick 'em up" in my highest possible falsetto. I thought the one lady standing there was going to pee her pants she was laughing so hard.

If you enjoyed reading about ""New" Bisley Vaquero for me and a question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!