marbles knives

PDA

mio
July 26, 2008, 01:24 AM
anybody had experiance with thier hunting knives, and if so how do you rate them for the price range?

If you enjoyed reading about "marbles knives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mongrel
July 26, 2008, 10:39 AM
I saw this sitting here unanswered so figured I'd toss in a penny.

NOTE: I have no first-hand experience with Marbles so what I type has been gathered over the years from the testimony of others.

Marbles have a long and very respected history of knifemaking going back to probably the turn of the *last* century (have to keep reminding myself of that). These were the Russell Green River Works knives of the early 1900s.

Well made, good materials, dependable. Don't know if they were the first 'modern' knives to use a convex edge or not but they were definately in that game early on.

As far as I have heard modern Marbles have continued that tradition as well as any other production knifemakers and for the money are still a good blade.

One thing for sure is that there is much greater competition today, so I wouldn't say you could'nt find something else as good or even better for the money.

I've always been a fan of the old-school Marbles looking hunting knives so I'm a little biased.

I'm sure someone will be able to add a more personal look at them soon.

Take care

Piraticalbob
July 26, 2008, 06:48 PM
When Marbles decided to make a comeback about 10 years ago, they hired Mike Stewart, former CEO of Blackjack Knives, to be their go-to knife guy. He brought the old patterns back (Woodcraft, Bird & Trout, Ideal, etc) and designed some new ones base on them (Fieldcraft, Plainsman), all of them utilizing quality steels such as 52100 and good sheaths. Mike has moved on to his own company now (Bark River Knives) but I haven't heard of any fall-off in Marbles quality.

I have one of their Woodcraft knives, it is of 52100 steel and has a Dymondwood handle; it's came from the factory with a cannel edge (Mike Stewart trademark) that was just scary sharp. Good knives, and Smoky Mountain Knife Works often has good deals on them.

hso
July 26, 2008, 11:38 PM
Marbles = good

TrapperReady
July 27, 2008, 01:44 AM
Mmm...

Dad's Woodcraft was the knife he bought when he got back stateside after WWII. I've got it now, and it's a beaut. The shape is good for dressing or skinning and the smallish handle fits my hand perfectly.

BTW, the original sheath had fallen almost completely apart. I called Marbles and they sent a new one (for free IIRC). It's not the same as the original one, but it works well. It was also excellent customer service.

That Woodcraft is very easy to sharpen to an :uhoh: and :eek: edge.

Frizzman
July 27, 2008, 12:50 PM
Some think I lost all of my Marbles but I still have 3 of them. All were purchased in the last 10 years. I have used them a good bit. I find them to be excellent knives of very good quality. The ones I have have carbon steel blades and so must be maintained to avoid corrosion. I have a good opinion of them based on the ones I have.

hangtime
July 27, 2008, 11:22 PM
solid craftsmanship. Good stuff.

sm
July 28, 2008, 01:10 AM
Bird/Trout
http://www.marblesoutdoors.com/cutlery/birdtrout.html

I Likes this one!!

I currently do not have one of these or the customs I had made similar of 01,and 52100, and I really need some.
I am telling you that is the handiest knife and it is proven by me and mine.

This one is highly recommended for those with arthritic hands and those in restrictive workplaces where they need a "nice letter opener".

*ahem*

Eleven Mike
July 28, 2008, 01:38 AM
For some reason, I thought Marbles had folded. Good to see they're still out there.

sm
July 28, 2008, 03:09 AM
http://www.marblesoutdoors.com/cutlery/pocketknives/index.html

sm
July 28, 2008, 03:15 AM
http://www.marblesoutdoors.com/cutlery/plainsman.html

80505 , leather stacked handles , in carbon is what I had , and have handled a new version of.

This will remind one of the Western Cutlery knife made in CO back in the day, that is very similar.

Recommended.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 28, 2008, 11:12 PM
Marbles = good

Yep that it - their rifle sights are too.

I have a Classic Woodcraft SMKW limited edition - very sharp, and easy on the eyes.

But I must say that I'm not sure of the purpose of putting a thin strip of steel where the HANDle should be on the "Bird & Trout"- perhaps to frustrate you so much with slippage/torquing, that when you get back to the office on Monday, work seems relatively pleasant? :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "marbles knives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!