Crack in stock on new Marlin 1894 lever action rifle!!

PDA

July 26, 2008, 02:27 AM
This morning I was able to pick up the Marin 1894 Cowboy Limited that I'd ordered and my overall impression is that this is a great little (and practical) rifle. It has a very nice walnut stock but when I got it home, I noticed that the stock on the left side where it butts up against the receiver was flexing way too much. My first thought was that this was a crappy design and a weak connection so I decided to strip the rifle down to take a better look. Once I had removed the stock, I noticed a large crack inside the stock where it connects to the receiver. :uhoh:

http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/rifles/marlin/crack1.jpg

http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/rifles/marlin/crack2.jpg

It's just not worth sending the rifle back so I plan on using Titebond III wood glue to repair the crack. Anyway, a little frustrating on a new rifle. Also, this rifle is supposed to be brand new so I would have preferred it if the factory could have cleaned the bore after firing it. I'm assuming they're the ones that fired a few test rounds and left it for me to clean. Do all US firearm manufacturers test fire EVERY rifle, shotgun, pistol and revolver that they sell? If so, I guess that'd mean a lot of cleaning which would probably mean higher prices!

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Crack in stock on new Marlin 1894 lever action rifle!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chris in va
July 26, 2008, 04:25 AM
Contact Marlin. You may not have to send it back.

July 26, 2008, 04:37 AM
Contact Marlin. You may not have to send it back.

I think I will since the problem is worse than I thought. There's an even bigger crack running back into the stock. It's a real pity ... this stock has a really nice grain to it. :(

mainmech48
July 26, 2008, 09:00 AM
Ditto call Marlin. While I'm not certain, it seems to me that with the current state of CNC manufacturing technology no skilled fitting work should be needed to swap a butt stock.

If how closely the wood of the butt and forearm match is an issue for you, you might even be able to negotiate a bit of lagniappe in the way of swapping all your wood for a hand-picked-for-color/figure replacement set under the circumstances if you're polite and affable.

Shawnee
July 26, 2008, 09:12 AM
+1 for "Mainmech48's" comments.

TightBond is great stuff and will glue a boat to the surface of the lake, but that isn't the place for it. There's a good chance the wood would later just crack again somewhere besides the repair.

:cool:

Reddbecca
July 26, 2008, 09:14 AM
Repairing a split stock (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/educational.htm), just in case Marlin isn't of any help.

viking499
July 26, 2008, 10:33 AM
I had the same stock problem with my new 44 stainless Santa brought me last year. Never been fired. Called Marlin. They apologized and said they would take care of it. Had to send complete gun back in so they could inspect and fit the new wood. Was back home in under 2 weeks.

Ratshooter
July 26, 2008, 11:02 AM
My 94 in 357 had the same thing. I called Marlin and they sent a new stock. The stock fit fine.

They use induction heat to final fit the stocks. I think they may get carried away on occasion.

vicdotcom
July 26, 2008, 12:15 PM
I think that stocks on marlin's is its only weak point. Its fine walnut but from what I noticed, the fits arent always the best. No other complains though on their rifles. Some of the best. I hope Remington's buyout doesnt impact that.

jkingrph
July 26, 2008, 12:27 PM
My ex brother in law had gotten several extremely high grade stocks for the Guide Gun, and some how managed to break one of the "tang sides" completely off. The wood was so highly figured that this was easy.

I proceded to order some high quality epoxy( West System) then made a jig , leather lined so I could clamp the stock with out marring it. Fitted a piece of pine the exact width of the tang to help align things then glued it up, When dry I drilled a couple of small holes through the tang cheeks, going ahead and doing both sides and epoxied in a couple of pieces of welding rod to reinforce the wild grain extending into this area. The break was so clean that it is hard to find the glue line now and I have a very high grade stock .

CRITGIT
July 26, 2008, 02:17 PM
Repairing a split stock, just in case Marlin isn't of any help.
Great post Reddbecca!:)

CRITGIT

July 26, 2008, 02:51 PM
Reddbecca, that's an excellent web site .. thanks for the link.

TightBond is great stuff and will glue a boat to the surface of the lake, but that isn't the place for it. There's a good chance the wood would later just crack again somewhere besides the repair.

Shawnee, wouldn't that be true of any repair then? Titebond is specifically formulated for wood and you'll be hard pressed to find a better glue. Its low viscosity allows it to creep into the finest cracks. I repaired both cracks last night and will put the stock back on today. I'll call Marlin to see if they'll send me a new stock though just in case this one decides to fall apart.

They use induction heat to final fit the stocks. I think they may get carried away on occasion.

Ratshooter, so that's what the black, burnt looking ends are all about. That's good to know ... thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. It seems that I'm not alone in this (based on at least three posts). I will add, the barrel on this rifle has more burrs in it than any barrel I've ever seen. I can hear/feel the cleaning patch catching on the burrs and when I look through the barrel it looks like it was tarred and feathered!! :eek: Hopefully the barrel will clean up after a few hundred rounds.

July 26, 2008, 02:58 PM
Reddbecca, come to think of it, the stock could look really nice with a couple of 3/16" brass pins in the grip area.

vicdotcom
July 26, 2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments. It seems that I'm not alone in this (based on at least three posts). I will add, the barrel on this rifle has more burrs in it than any barrel I've ever seen. I can hear/feel the cleaning patch catching on the burrs and when I look through the barrel it looks like it was tarred and feathered!! Hopefully the barrel will clean up after a few hundred rounds.

Wow it honestly sounds like the stock was only one condition issue in this rifle. I hope it cleans out nice for you and shoots well.

aka108
July 26, 2008, 03:36 PM
Send it back to Marlin. UPS returned to your door, no FFL to go thru or any of that. I sent a 917 back to them for a bolt and ejector problem. Rifle was back in my hands in less than 2 weeks.

July 26, 2008, 03:41 PM
Wow it honestly sounds like the stock was only one condition issue in this rifle. I hope it cleans out nice for you and shoots well.

Hmmm ... looks like I may have got one built on a Monday!! I've never owned a Marlin 1894 so I'm not sure what's "typical". Most folks seem to really like their Marlins and the cracked stock hasn't changed that. Even the barrel, if it cleans up then that's fine too.

wanderinwalker
July 26, 2008, 03:52 PM
Between the barrel and the stock, I'd send the whole thing to Marlin and have them final-finish everything! No excuse for that kind of thing! :cuss:

That said, I have an 1894, and between family and friends I've shot and handled half a dozen other Marlins. None of them had any of the issues you describe. Everybody was/is perfectly happy with the fit, finish and performance of their rifles.

Actually, I think my 1894 (.44 Magnum BTW) would be the last rifle I'd let go of. It's reasonably accurate, but mostly lightweight and handy, while chambered in "enough cartridge" for 99% of needs I can foresee.

Get Marlin on the horn Monday and get them to sort it out. I wouldn't wait for the barrel to break-in on that rifle; it'll probably foul so badly it'll just frustrate you.

DRYHUMOR
July 26, 2008, 04:13 PM
Too bad about your new rifle, hate to hear it. I think part of the issue is the shipping cartons they use. They aren't too impressive.

I ordered a 308 MX last year. When it came in, the sight hood was off and had gouged the reciever and stock. I refused it, they sent it back.

They should honor it to make it good though.

Perhaps they are used to it.

ftierson
July 26, 2008, 09:13 PM
As others have suggested, just call Marlin...

They have great customer service, and are likely just to send you a replacement buttstock...

Forrest

July 28, 2008, 02:27 AM
Well, I loaded up 50 rounds this morning and headed off to the range. First off, these rifles are wonderful to shoot which I'm sure many of you realize. I can see why folks become so attached to these little guys. I was shooting a 200 grain LRNFP bullet with 6.0 grains of Trail Boss powder and talk about ZERO recoil!! This thing really is a blast to shoot. I don't care for the sites and will change those ASAP. I had a hard time seeing the target at 50 yards since the front bead completely covered my 4" square. I was basically trying to aim at the center of the 8-1/2" by 11 paper. Anyway, after making a couple of adjustments to the sites I fired off twenty rounds.

http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/targets/marlin/marlin_target.jpg

I was reasonably happy with the results. I'm not sure of what to expect from the Marlin in terms of accuracy. It's a 20" barreled carbine so I'd expect it to be capable of breaking dinner plates at 100 yards but not much more. After today's session, I cleaned the barrel and there's definitely something odd going on. One of the lands just looks weird. I'll try to post a photo tonight. The stock repair went well and now it feels very rigid and flex free. I'll still contact Marlin this week to see if they'll send me a replacement.

chieftain
July 28, 2008, 03:22 AM
Do all US firearm manufacturers test fire EVERY rifle, shotgun, pistol and revolver that they sell?

I hope so.

As to the 1894, mine is the most FUN rifle I have ever shot (Let us not talk about those with a fun switch). I also replaced my sights with a set of ghost ring sights from XS. Mine is the 16" with factory comp. This is a REALLY fun rifle.

Go figure.

Fred

mainmech48
July 28, 2008, 09:47 AM
Just a couple of suggestions for sights that've worked out very nicely for me.

I've replaced the front bead on all of my Marlin LAs (39M, 1895G, 336) with a Williams "Firesight" fiber optic bead. Not only has the change made it easier for my bifocal-clad eyes to focus on, but also faster to pick up, too, even though the bead is a good deal smaller.

I really like a receiver sight. IMO, putting a conventionally mounted scope or other optical device right at the natural balance point makes it clumsy to hand carry and screws up the sweet handling characteristics that I love so much. The speed and precision with which I can deliver my shots are both improved a great deal over what I can accomplish with other irons, and the way the factory opens are made means that I can get those benefits and still keep an "emergency" back-up set in-place and zeroed. This saved a semi-expensive hunting trip for me once.

Since your carbine is a newer model it probably doesn't have the two pre-D&T'ed holes in the left side of the receiver that mine do. Williams, XS, etc. have models which use the rear two scope mount holes on the top for receiver sights now. The major practical difference in one of those is that the front usually needs to be replaced with a taller one. Some brands include one as part of the package. Money well spent, IMO as you don't have to look up or calculate the proper height and order one separately plus the cost is usually a bit less than separate items. FWIW, the Williams package includes the FO bead, is a quick, easy DIY and is relatively inexpensive.

A nice extra for an FO front that's very useful is the modified hood for the front. It's opened up on top to let the light in and slips right on the factory ramp. Less than $10 from most sources.

I know that the prospect of having your new carbine unavailable for an indeterminant time isn't very attractive, but I'd have to agree that sending your carbine back to the factory for warranty work seems like the best course in light of the barrel situation.

When the only problem seemed to be the cracked wood I can see trying to avoid the hassle. Adding a rough bore to the list would make it sort of mandatory, IMO.

The barrel might slick-up with some shooting if the flaws are minor, but why gamble with something so vital to the performance? IMO, you should be able to work out a deal where Marlin picks up the tab for shipping both ways. IMO, their QC should've spotted the flaws and had them corrected before it ever left the plant.

July 28, 2008, 05:02 PM
mainmech48 and chieftain, thanks for the very informative posts and great suggestions. I tried to take some photos of the barrel this morning and this is what I managed to capture.

Muzzle end:
http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/rifles/marlin/bore1a.jpg

Muzzle end:
http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/rifles/marlin/bore2a.jpg

Breech end:
http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/rifles/marlin/bore3a.jpg

You can see the odd looking land. Whatever the problem is, it's on that one land all the way through the barrel. After shooting about 40 rounds yesterday and cleaning, and then cleaning again this morning, most of the barrel looks good. That one land is weird though. I'd appreciate any ideas on what the problem is. This is supposed to be a brand new rifle so it would only have been shot a couple of times. Hardly enough to cause lead fouling right?

chieftain
July 28, 2008, 05:27 PM
I would doubt lead fouling, unless the bore is so rough as to virtually shear the lead as the bullet passed.

Sounds extreme but possible. I haven't shot lead bullets since I stopped casting my own balls for my cap and ball revolver about 35 years ago.

I have purposely avoided that problem. Hopefully someone much more up to date.

But I think you should send the rifle back to Marlin.

What ever you decide, good luck.

Fred

vicdotcom
July 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
Personally, I would consider that a manufacturing defect. It should be covered under warrantee. If that land problem runs all the way down the barrel, it may have been a problem at the factory. And you did say that when you ran a patch down it, you could hear it catching the cotton.

I would return it and have them take care of it. Its a great shooter, but there is no reason you shouldnt have a better barrel. Those are great guns to shoot and you should be proud of it instead of having to worry about those things.

At least thats my input on it.

July 28, 2008, 06:54 PM
chieftain & vicdotcom, Thanks!! I'm going to call Marlin tomorrow morning. I'm kicking myself because I wanted a NIB Marlin so that's why I bought this one online. I looked at a very, very lightly used Marlin Cowboy Limited with a 24" barrel at a local gun shop. It would have cost about the same as this one. I don't know if that one had a perfect barrel but the action was very smooth and the stock looked good and solid. :banghead:

paintballdude902
July 28, 2008, 06:57 PM
it looks like a bad rifling job

vicdotcom
July 28, 2008, 07:26 PM
Let us know what they say and how it turns out.

mainmech48
July 29, 2008, 08:45 AM
I'd agree that it should be considered a manufacturing defect. Don't think you'll get any argument from Marlin on that point and they'll almost certainly replace it at no charge.

It's likely that the broaching tool either developed a "chip" or other defect on one tooth or picked up some debris which got between the cutter's edge and the surface being worked.

While I'm sort of surprised that QC didn't pick this up somewhere along the line before it got out the door, stuff happens and hand inspection of every single component coming off a machine is a seldom thing these days, as it isn't considered cost-effective anymore.

Most outfits have the machine operator or QC tech take a couple of random samples from each machine periodically, usually one or two times on each shift. With today's highly automated production lines that's usually pretty effective.

I know how disappointing it is to scrimp to obtain a brand new example of something that you've heard praised so highly and spent so many hours anticipating how great it would be to have one of your own only to find that the one you got isn't up to standard.

I saved for over a year to buy an expensive repro of a relatively rare 19th century carbine. I'd slowly accumulated all of the stuff it was going to take to make the cartridges, etc. only to open the box and find that the dovetail cut for the rear sight went all the way down into the bore on mine.

July 29, 2008, 02:57 PM
I called "Mawwlin" (Marlin) this morning and spoke to an efficient woman with a strong New York accent. First off, she's going to send me a new stock no questions asked. As for the barrel, she gave me the contact information of an approved gunsmith "in my area". The gunsmith isn't close to me and I checked the shipping cost to his business and discovered that I can ship the rifle to Marlin for the same cost. I called Mawwlin back and asked if I could ship the rifle to them directly. The nice woman said "shawwww". I'll be shipping the rifle at the end of the week or early next week.

It's likely that the broaching tool either developed a "chip" or other defect on one tooth or picked up some debris which got between the cutter's edge and the surface being worked.

mainmech48, that's what I was thinking too. It looks like the cutting tool was "chattering" as it made its way down the barrel.

While I'm sort of surprised that QC didn't pick this up somewhere along the line before it got out the door ...

Seriously!! What would it take for the operator to glance down the barrel once it's rifled? I suppose there could be a bunch of cutting fluid in the barrel but at some point someone should take a look since the barrel is kind of important right?

I found out that the 94202XXX serial number means it was manufactured in 2004. I bought it online from Dominion Outdoors in Virginia and no wonder it had been sitting around for so long. Most people coming into the store would have been able to look down the barrel and see the obvious problem not to mention noticing that the stock was flexing!!

I just got off the phone with JD at Dominion Outdoors to ask him if he could do something to help me out. By his own admission, he didn't notice the cracked stock or the scored barrel and wouldn't have listed it in that condition. I emailed him the photos that I took and he's going to talk to the owner about "making it right". If at the end of the day I get what I paid for them I'm happy ... if not ... well, I'll leave it at that for the moment.

:scrutiny:

August 10, 2008, 11:49 PM
Let us know what they say and how it turns out.

A replacement stock from Marlin arrived last Friday.

http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/rifles/marlin/stock1.jpg

I'm not sure if this is a scratch or a crack ...

http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/rifles/marlin/stock2.jpg

... but at least I have a spare stock if the original one falls apart. :)

I'm going to send the rifle back to Marlin to change/fix the barrel but am still waiting for Dominion Outdoors to honor their promise to "take care of it" by paying for the shipping back to Marlin. I've sent a number of emails and made a phone call to them but they may just be blowing smoke at this point ... I should know tomorrow. I'm seriously considering picking up another 1894 Cowboy Limited in .45 Colt with a 24" barrel. There's a used one at a gunshop in town that looks to be in near pristine condition. These are wonderful little rifles so another would be fun. I'm going to use this one for CAS but I'd put an XS Ghost-Ring Hunting Sight on the other one (or a scope of some sort) if I pick it up.

ftierson
August 11, 2008, 12:09 AM
Marlin has great customer service, as you've just seen demonstrated...

Thanks to them, right...?

Personally, if I was planning on sending the rifle back to Marlin for a barrel replacement anyway, I would have just had them replace the stock at the same time since that would have saved them having to pay for shipping the replacement stock to you...

But maybe that's just me...

Good luck on getting it all worked out...

Forrest

August 11, 2008, 01:31 AM
Personally, if I was planning on sending the rifle back to Marlin for a barrel replacement anyway, I would have just had them replace the stock at the same time since that would have saved them having to pay for shipping the replacement stock to you...

But maybe that's just me...

You're kidding right? $650 for a rifle that has a cracked stock (in two places) and a barrel that shouldn't have left the factory AND I have to pay to ship the rifle back to them and I should feel bad that they had to mail me a stock!! :cuss:

Did you notice the scratch/crack in the stock they sent me?!!

Oh yeah, thanks Marlin for the great service!!! :rolleyes:

ftierson
August 11, 2008, 10:59 AM
I did say that 'maybe it's just me,' didn't I...?

Obviously, it's not you...

Forrest

August 11, 2008, 01:39 PM
Forrest,
You're a better man/woman than me. :) I have three Remington rifles and one Remington shotgun, all of which have been perfect from day one. I sincerely hope that Remington's high standards carry over to the Marlin line now that they're one and the same (or soon will be).

ftierson
August 11, 2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by 1858
Forrest,
You're a better man/woman than me. I have three Remington rifles and one Remington shotgun, all of which have been perfect from day one. I sincerely hope that Remington's high standards carry over to the Marlin line now that they're one and the same (or soon will be).

And I certainly agree with you that the rifle you received should not have displayed the problems (especially the bore problem, since that certainly could not have occurred in shipping or handling) that yours did...

And I also agree that Marlin deserves a swat for not catching that one before shipping...

I just think that they deserve credit for being anxious and quick to 'fix' the problem...

And I hope that you get everything straightened out to your satisfaction very quickly.

Forrest

And, as an aside, I've had more 'problems' with Remingtons than with Marlins, but Remington has also been quick to fix problems. I would not hesitate to buy again from either...

If they were making anything I wanted, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying...:)

September 3, 2008, 10:47 PM
Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited shipped UPS ground on 8/12.
Received at the Marlin factory 8/20.
Back in my hands with a new barrel 9/03.

Comment from tester on repair order "Replace barrel - re breech and proof - range check accuracy and function both excellent."

My cost: $13.00 (shipping via UPS ground to Marlin)

I see many, many more Marlins lever action rifles in my future!! In fact, I've been bitten by the lever action bug!! I just installed the new stock that Marlin sent a while back since and as some here suggested, the wood glue didn't work on the original stock. Now I'm thinking of cutting up the old stock (walnut I think) and making revolver grips out of it.

WAY TO GO MARLIN!!

:D

ftierson
September 3, 2008, 11:04 PM
I'm glad to hear that everything worked out...

Have great fun with the rifle.

Forrest

greyling22
September 7, 2008, 04:04 PM
both your stocks have better figure than 90+% of marlins I have ever seen.

September 30, 2008, 05:21 AM
Forrest, thanks ... but it gets better ... I tried four or five times with phone calls and emails to get Dominion Outdoors (:cuss:) to cover the shipping back to Marlin but I got nowhere with them. I contacted American Express to complain about Dominion Outdoors charging me $60 for shipping (I only paid $13 to ship the rifle to Marlin), not paying to ship the rifle back to Marlin and for selling me a rifle in such poor condition (cracked stock and defective barrel). Today I was notified by AMEX that they're refunding me $50!! :D It all worked out in the end.

I will NEVER buy anything again from Dominion Outdoors in Fishersville, Virginia ... NEVER!!! They're crap at what they do, particularly their customer service. :cuss:

Marlin on the other hand impressed the heck out of me and I will DEFINITELY be buying more rifles from them ... A LOT more!!

georgeky
September 30, 2008, 01:31 PM
Howdy 1858. Glad you got your rifle to suit you. I can say with 100% certainty that Marlin has the best customer service of any gun company in the country. I have never had to send one back in 35 years and I have more than 20 Marlin leverguns. I can say that during mass production it is always possible for a bad unit to get through to the publc. I have called to order things such as screws and various small parts that I have lost or just messed up and everytime Marlin has sent me the parts free of charge. That may change now the Cerberus and Remington are in the picture, but so far Rem CEO Tommy Millner has been taking the concerns of the Marlin fanatics like me into serious consideration.

Several Marlin employee's do read these forums and some are members of a few of them and do participate on them. Marlin even dropped the trademark bullseye that their walnut stocked guns have had since 1922. We(folks at MO's) protested this directly to Mr. Millner and the bullseye has been put back on the new walnut stocked rifles.

That wood does look better than most of the smooth wood 1894 CB models I have seen. All of my CB's have 24 inch barrels and checkered wood on them.

sandy4570
September 30, 2008, 05:00 PM
Wow, Marlin send you a new stock and replace a barrel , that is great customer service.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crack in stock on new Marlin 1894 lever action rifle!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!