boot knife question

PDA

KiltedClaymore
July 26, 2008, 12:35 PM
are they considered a concealed weapon, and do you need a ccw to wear one in your boot?

If you enjoyed reading about "boot knife question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Tourist
July 26, 2008, 12:43 PM
In my neck of the woods you cannot get a CCW license for anything. Having said that, a boot knife will get you hooked up because it's obviously hidden, hence a concealed weapon.

But here's my prejudice. I'm not an "ankle" anything. If you want the weapon, find a way to carry it where it will easily fall to hand.

The ring of my Razel is easily seen, quite handy, and perfectly legal. There is no reason to carry it on a boot.

(I have heard that some folks fear felons knowing they carry any implement. The thinking is that if they got caught in a robbery, the thief would kill them quickly to avoid confrontation.)

KiltedClaymore
July 26, 2008, 12:45 PM
well i have a crkt m-16 in my change pocket. thats my first knife. i was just wondering about the boot knife because i've considered it a "backup"

The Tourist
July 26, 2008, 12:54 PM
KC, I think the practice would get you into more trouble than it would get you out of.

Sometimes I carry two knives. I can get to both easily.

Besides, one of the biggest uses for personal knives is cutting food at a restaurant. Do you really want to use anything that has been in your sock?

KiltedClaymore
July 26, 2008, 12:56 PM
my double edged dagger for food cutting?

and thanks for the info. imma leave the dagger at home.

Mongrel
July 26, 2008, 01:08 PM
Around here, having a double-edged anything is a no-no.

As The Tourist pointed out, the practicality of getting to a boot knife seems remote at best. Typically I envision accessing it from a position where I'm lying on my back or have been knocked down onto my back. Too many movies perhaps?

Also, unless you use some type of a strap to attach the sheath to your calf (ouch-circulation) you need a cowboy-boot type of footwear to clip it to or conceal it in. Now think about how high up you have to pull the cuff of your pants to get to it.

And, I would definately think an LEO's first impression would be "criminal" if he found one on you vs. "typical" if he saw a folder clipped to a pocket.

BTW-I have two really nice boot knives that spend there time in drawer just because of the above. I love 'em, but I just can't bring myself to chance carrying them.

KiltedClaymore
July 26, 2008, 01:09 PM
cowboy-boot type

8 inch combat boots

Mongrel
July 26, 2008, 01:12 PM
8 inch combat boots

KC-do you wear it inside the boot or outside the boot?

Personally, I can't stand that feeling of something riding alongside of my leg in a tight (relatively) boot. That would drive me nuts.

KiltedClaymore
July 26, 2008, 01:14 PM
inside.

jpatterson
July 26, 2008, 01:23 PM
So wait, is keeping a crkt m16-sized folder clipped to your pocket considered "concealed"? This probably differs state to state but what about for you guys?

KiltedClaymore
July 26, 2008, 01:26 PM
no, because its in a pocket. dont ask me why but in AZ, anyone can carry a pocket knife in their pocket. regardless of make, model, ect. boot knifes are kinda different due to their one use is killing.

22-rimfire
July 27, 2008, 08:31 AM
I have a couple "boot knives". Daggers (aka double edged knives) are often illegal in most states like switchblades. Played around with them a bit. I wanted to carry one on my belt or near my belt vs a boot or ankle. Not going to carry one for the reasons you mentioned. The CCW permit in my state does not give you any carry rights for a knife unlike Florida.

hso
July 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
A boot knife is almost always concealed unless for some reason you stuff your pant's legs into your boots leaving the knife in plain sight.

As a concealed weapon you face whatever state and local restrictions there are for carrying a concealed weapon.

If your state only issues a concealed handgun permit then a concealed knife of any kind would not be covered by the permit.

If your state issues a concealed weapon permit then a concealed knife MAY be covered by the permit. Knives that are illegal (e.g. daggers) in your state regardless of permit would not be covered and you could be in violation of the law if you were carrying an illegal knife.

Or in fewer words, you need to research the law yourself and find out what it permits you to do.

KiltedClaymore
July 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
well, in the wonderland free state of arizona (where everything except fireworks are legal) any weapon that is concealed is covered under CCW. and there are no laws against daggers, butterfly knives, switch blades (OTF and OTS), ect.

i LOVE my state :D

Tom Krein
July 27, 2008, 01:49 PM
KC you are very lucky! IF you have a CCW then go ahead and carry. I always thought it would be uncomfortable and hard to get to.

I was never a big fan of boot knives until my first knife hog hunt. I found I could easily carry my U.B.C. stuck into my snake boots. It was always out of the way and very secure. It also made getting into and out of the truck very easy as I didn't have to take my gun belt off every time.

I'm talking about a pretty good sized knife...

http://www.kreinknives.net/images/blknblueubk.jpg

Worked good!

http://www.kreinknives.net/images/HogHunt018.jpg

:D

Tom

Mongrel
July 27, 2008, 02:13 PM
ahh...Tom?

CAN'T SEE THE PICS MAN! :fire:

Sorry...

:D

Tom Krein
July 27, 2008, 02:21 PM
How about now... sorry about that!!:cuss:

Tom

ExSoldier
July 27, 2008, 02:29 PM
IMHO, a lock blade pocket knife can be explained away as just about anything. I have a CRKT assisted open knife (not a full on auto or switch blade) that locks with a liner type lock and is as rigid open as a fixed blade, razor sharp spear point.

If I carried my Gerber MK I that's has that double edge and slick clip sheath, it's difficult to explain away as anything but a silent KILLER. S'pose you need to cut something with precision that requires you guide the blade with your forefinger? With a conventional single bladed spear or even tanto point this is easy. Dagger? Lose a finger.

I put my CRKT "voodoo" into my pocket with the clip and it's a "nonissue" yet always ready to take care of business. But carrying an obvious combat style blade and you have an "issue" before you ever even need it. Even though the FL permit is concealed "weapons" instead of concealed "pistol" I prefer to fly under most folks radars. Just my .02.

KiltedClaymore
July 27, 2008, 03:50 PM
Tom, thats a awsome pig. how hard was it to get close enough?

Tom Krein
July 27, 2008, 05:01 PM
Not too hard with the Dogs working on it.... :D

Tom

KiltedClaymore
July 27, 2008, 05:03 PM
aw, dogs are cheating. gotta be a man and do it mano-a-mano

loandr.
July 27, 2008, 07:15 PM
"aw, dogs are cheating. gotta be a man and do it mano-a-mano"

BINGO, NOT to mention our responsibility to keep the little ones safe :evil:
Don't let Tom fool ya he has DAMM BIG FEET ;) in FL almost ANYthing goes CCW/Blade wise, BUT Personally I stay away from ankle anything myself also, unless I plan on being seated for extended periods of time (ex. long car ride etc.) In THIS postion alone I find it useful.....Gawd I love those Krein's!

Loandr./BoerBoelGuy

KiltedClaymore
July 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
A wise man......

was this sarcasm?!

loandr.
July 27, 2008, 09:14 PM
Absolutely NOT....We are ALL about Hand to Paw when it comes to the yard;) here at the BoerBoel Ranch :D and we take ALLL of our furbabies saftey with the utmost of seriousness...

Loandr./BoerBoelGuy

KiltedClaymore
July 27, 2008, 09:17 PM
haha ok! nice dog too! what breed?

loandr.
July 27, 2008, 09:23 PM
Thank you, Why BoerBoels here at the BB Ranch, what else :-) below is one of Boomerang's sister's "Luma Zulu". I keep telling Tom to leave the pups at home and bring a BIGGER KNIFE....and Knowing him, he's working on it:evil::what::D

Sistema1927
July 27, 2008, 09:28 PM
Re: The OP

I don' rely on the advice of strangers on the internet to keep me out of jail.

KiltedClaymore
July 28, 2008, 02:01 AM
well now, its a good thing i took their advice and DIDNT carry it.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 28, 2008, 09:13 AM
The CRKT / A.G. Russell "Sting" is a fine yet inexpensive boot knife.

If you enjoyed reading about "boot knife question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!