I hate these kind of threads, but......

PDA

Guns and more
July 26, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have a nice collection of handguns, but I'm considering another. A Ruger MK lll
Hunter. .22 LR Target pistol. I'm thinking I'd use it more as .22 ammo is as cheap as you can get, and it might be fun at the range. The Hunter version is stainless with a 6+" barrel. Nice sights and plenty heavy for target shooting.
Is there anything I should watch out for in these?

If you enjoyed reading about "I hate these kind of threads, but......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
klane
July 26, 2008, 10:59 PM
I have the same gun you are looking at and my 12 year old son and I love to shoot it! We have run a few thousand rounds through it with zero problems. Buy it!

AirplaneDoc
July 27, 2008, 02:31 AM
they are a PITA to clean, but shoot great. I am a stickler for thorough cleaning after I shoot, even if its only 1 round. I have a friend that swabs the barrel and wipes the chamber with his finger, and never had a problem, I shoot with him often. He gives my level of cleaning to it once a year, and shoots it monthly.

The Tourist
July 27, 2008, 02:35 AM
My Ruger 22/45 falls apart. I use an aerosal "green" version of electrical contact cleaner to cleanse the metal parts. I also have those big six-inch Q-Tips to swab the tight space and maybe push a patch down the bore.

Some people have trouble getting the parts lined up to re-latch. That part of mine also falls together.

I'm just shy of 5,000 rounds through mine. Granted, it's getting a tad loose, but it's still "dime size" accurate.

Bartkowski
July 27, 2008, 02:39 AM
The early models are better in my opinion, but the mark III's are still good guns. Go ahead and get it. It can be a pain to clean, but you'll figure it out.

DWARREN123
July 27, 2008, 08:14 AM
Maybe find a conversion kit for one of your other handguns.
I not knocking a dedicated 22lr just that a conversion kit allows you to shoot with handgun you are familiar with.

presspuller
July 27, 2008, 09:18 AM
Go for it. Everybody ought to own at least one Ruger .22 pistol.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
July 27, 2008, 09:27 AM
What presspuller said.

Disassembly/Reassembly is no big deal IMO. If you learned to tie your shoe as a kid you can handle breaking down a Ruger pistol. Here are some great instructions for just that:

http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

Also here's a good forum dedicated to the Mark III.
http://www.mkiii.org/forum/

Geno
July 27, 2008, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a nice selection. <<Pause>> So, ah...when are you buying it already?! We're waiting for pictures and a range-report! Hello?! :neener:

RickW
July 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
I really enjoy shooting my MK3, it a real nice shooter and cheap to do so. Breaking it down and reassembling it is no big deal once you have done it. Get it you will love it.

nero45acp
July 27, 2008, 11:04 AM
I've been tempted to buy a 4 3/4" Standard MKIII for a while now. Do the fixed sight models generally shoot POA?

nero

Meowhead
July 27, 2008, 11:13 AM
Do it. :) Those things are accurate, cheap to shoot and have next to no recoil - they're very fun to shoot.

3KillerBs
July 27, 2008, 11:39 AM
I love mine.

Our local gunshop offers Ruger cleaning and recommends it annually or semi-annually depending on how much its used. I'll probably learn to do it myself though since I'm good at "Some assembly required".

Until then, the boresnake is doing a great job.

Don't try to feed it the Remington Bulk pack ammo though. It misfeeds at least one round in 20 with that stuff. Mine loves Federal Bulk Pack though.

Claymore1500
July 27, 2008, 12:46 PM
Maybe find a conversion kit for one of your other handguns.
I not knocking a dedicated 22lr just that a conversion kit allows you to shoot with handgun you are familiar with.

I am wondering why not get the ruger and become familliar with that gun, as well as your other ones?

Chem Geek
July 27, 2008, 02:40 PM
I just bought a 22/45 Hunter with 6 7/8" barrel. Awesome pistol. At 15yards, it does 3" groups without even thinking, just blasting away. Disassembly is quite easy I think, sure it's not like a Sig or Glock, but it certainly can't be called hard. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "I hate these kind of threads, but......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!