Finishs on the Sig 220

PDA

Sharp669
July 27, 2008, 10:44 AM
I am a bit bummed. First time I put my sig into a galco matrix (kydex) holster, it took some of the finish off of the outer edges of the trigger guard. ditched that.

Then last night as I am cleaning it with Hoppes #9, the paint/finish started coming off the aluminum frame, inside the gun where the mag fits and in the anterior part of the frame. Has anyone else has this experience? I've had glocks and S&W pistols and never experienced this.

1-What solvents don't hurt the gun's finish? Should I use something else to clean the aluminum frame?
2- is this standard typical for Sig? my gun is a few years older, certified pre owned, non railed 220.
3-any suggestions for a holster for belt/padddle OWB and an IWB would be great. Should I sitck with leather and avoid kydex and polymer holsters?

If you enjoyed reading about "Finishs on the Sig 220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gudel
July 27, 2008, 12:19 PM
pics?

Sharp669
July 27, 2008, 12:24 PM
I will go up load some.

Jason_G
July 27, 2008, 12:30 PM
Sigs generally have some pretty short-lived bluing (or whichever process they use), but I'm speaking in terms of how long it takes to get your usual holster-wear. This sounds a little too short-lived. I've never used Hoppe's on a Sig, but I wouldn't think it would strip the finish off like that under normal circumstances. Maybe you got a gun that wasn't properly prepped or finished.

Jason

hankdatank1362
July 27, 2008, 12:32 PM
Acutally, they've been having a lot of this type of problem on their CPO line of handguns. The refinish job on them is lacking in quality, resulting in flaking or peeling, or just thin finish.

I have heard that SIG has been very good about fixing this problem. Sounds like you need to send it ot them.

tinroad37e
July 27, 2008, 01:53 PM
Sig made me mad, so I sold it. I bought a new (not CPO) Sig 220 compact last year with a stainless slide and black receiver. The finish on mine was chipping and flaking. I called Sig and they said to send it in, so I did. In fact, they also chipped it in a couple places when I sent it in the first time for repair (new pistol with less than a box of ammo through her). I sent it in a second time after complaining and all they did was touch up the spots with marker and that took them two weeks to do. Basic gun cleaner than removed the cheap looking touch up paint. I now had a new $750 pistol that looked like it was 10years old. I called Sig and they told me they would touch it up again free of charge, but would not refinish the frame. My advice is send it to someone else and have it refinished in duracoat. I will never own another Sig. I believe Sigs are a reliable pistol, but their customer service didn't impress me. I know it's not a collectable piece and was made to be used and holstered, but I'm not paying that mcuh money for a pistol with an unacceptable finish.

CCR
July 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
First off call Sig and see what they will do. I know that they replaced some but not all for people.

Sig sent the CPO's out to have a piss poor spray job done on them. The good news is that the job was so poorly done that they just sprayed over the old finish which means your anodizing should still be intact for the most part.

I would be happy to help if you decide to get it refinished. Just remember whoever refinishes it do not allow the anodizing to be removed as it critical to the frame.

The key to any good finish is in the prep of the metal first.

loplop
July 27, 2008, 07:32 PM
I never had any problems cleaning my alloy framed SIGs with Hoppe's. Sig Nitron (on the slide) will usually wear from the holster, but honestly I've never had a problem with the anodizing on the aluminum frames.

Sounds like you need to talk to SIG.

evan price
July 27, 2008, 09:01 PM
I use #9 on all my Sigs including a 220, and never had this problem.

The Lone Haranguer
July 27, 2008, 09:32 PM
:confused: No normal gun cleaning product - or anything short of some extremely caustic agent or abrasive - should be able to remove the anodizing from a SIG frame. It actually adds thickness and hardness to the metal.

Sig sent the CPO's out to have a piss poor spray job done on them. The good news is that the job was so poorly done that they just sprayed over the old finish which means your anodizing should still be intact for the most part.
If some kind of paint was applied over the anodizing to hide blemishes or something, this is much more plausible.

I am a bit bummed. First time I put my sig into a galco matrix (kydex) holster, it took some of the finish off of the outer edges of the trigger guard. ditched that.
I am not familiar with this holster, but a lot of Kydex holsters use a tight fit or indentation/dimple around the trigger guard to help retain the gun. In all probability - especially if this is just paint - it will only wear a little bit and then stop. Eventually, you will get holster wear no matter what kind of holster anyway. I would give it another chance. :)

jlh26oo
July 27, 2008, 09:40 PM
I agree with T.L.H. regarding cleaning products. They will not exacerbate the problem. However, a durable finish is definitely not Sig's strong point. It's almost a testament to how good the rest of the package must be, that we put up with the weaker finish. And holsters will take their toll eventually, no matter how bullet-proof the finish. I.M.O. only, as Y.M.M.V.

Sharp669
July 27, 2008, 11:20 PM
Pics of finish

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e278/filter882/DSC_0008.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e278/filter882/DSC_0009.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e278/filter882/DSC_0010.jpg

Pic of gun
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e278/filter882/DSC_0011.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e278/filter882/DSC_0013.jpg

jcalys
July 27, 2008, 11:35 PM
I bought a brand new SIG 226 a couple of weeks ago. I use Hoppes 9 to clean it and haven't had any problems with the frame finish. I did see some CPO's and other used SIGs at the gun shop that had finish issues that looked a lot like those pics though. I figured they were just older guns. For a new gun to peel like that is not OK.

The Lone Haranguer
July 27, 2008, 11:40 PM
That looks an awful lot like paint chipping. :scrutiny:

Sharp669
July 27, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah its a CPO. I will probably give them a call and ship it off. One of the 8 round mags also only takes seven for some reason. LOL!

Sharp669
July 27, 2008, 11:43 PM
The paint/finish was coming right off as I was cleaning it with a cloth patch with Hoppes. I didn't realize at first that it was finish flaking off rather than dirt.

CCR
July 28, 2008, 07:15 AM
It has nothing to do with what you used to clean it . It is the cheap spray job Sig had done.
I have had customers say it would flake off the frame while they were shooting

If you enjoyed reading about "Finishs on the Sig 220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!