CCW an H&K P2000?

PDA

V-DOP
July 27, 2008, 07:26 PM
I've just recently started carrying concealed, and since I like to think I'm a practical guy I opted for a really compact and lightw gun to use: the Glock 36. Slim, small, lightweight, and holds 7 .45's. It seemed like this gun invented CCW.

However, I own a P2000 and I'd love to be able to pompously say I carry an HK :evil: But the gun is a service-sized one, and 14 rounds of 9mm is probably pretty hefty. Has or does anyone carry the service sized P2000 or a gun in similar size/heft?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW an H&K P2000?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loplop
July 27, 2008, 07:30 PM
Yes, I carried a P2000 on occasion in a Milt Sparks VM2. Piece of cake to CCW, it was all but unnoticeable under anything save a t-shirt. I'm 5'11", 160lbs, fwiw.

Great gun, btw. Kinda wish I hadn't sold mine.

riceboy72
July 27, 2008, 08:32 PM
I carry a P2000 in 9mm everyday, and it's very friendly for concealed carry. Lightweight when loaded, not prone to snagging due to the bobbed hammer, and very comfortable to carry. I use a Bladetech holster because that's what came with the pistol, but I can only imagine how much more comfortable a custom leather rig would be. Accuracy is excellent, and the LEM trigger suits my needs comfortably.

I vary back and forth and carry this pistol and a Kimber Compact concealed. Talk about weight difference! I'd like to get the .40 and eventually a H&K 45C. All in all, I think the H&K line of compact pistols are designed for carry and reliability, and they certainly fill their role well.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/riceboy72/DSC00472.jpg?t=1217204694

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/riceboy72/DSC00492.jpg?t=1217216591

loplop
July 27, 2008, 09:58 PM
BTW: if you get the flat magazine floorplates, I found it was even more concealable.

You can get them from HK USA.

The Lone Haranguer
July 27, 2008, 10:08 PM
I've carried the sort-of-similarly-sized Glock 19 concealed with no problem, if it is of any help.

gbelleh
July 27, 2008, 10:13 PM
I carry a USP .45c in cool weather months. But, I find service size pistols generally too large for t-shirt carry.

azwizard
July 27, 2008, 11:21 PM
I carry my P-2000 in .40 S&W concealed either in a Blackhawk retention holtster strong side or in a Cell-Pal holster, depending on the level of dress, But I'm kind of a big guy 5'11" X 215#, so they both work for me. There are soe nice advantages to the P-2000 that I really like, plus the fact I shoot it really well.

psyopspec
July 28, 2008, 06:32 AM
P2000, 9mm, US Trigger, CCW. I have a Galco Miami Classic, a DeSantis Tuck This!, and a Blackwhawk molded Nyolon Holster. Between the three, I can carry this gun year-round, and I do. The holster I use most is the Tuck This! since it's an all-season holster that's tuckable during the hotter seasons.

jlh26oo
July 28, 2008, 06:36 AM
So you actually manage to tuck this (this P2000)?

psyopspec
July 28, 2008, 06:54 AM
Dang straight I do. Carried in Arizona, where legal, during the hot months with it. I realize the name-brand is flashy, but IMO, it's an easy holster to lug the gun around with where needed. If I could only own one holster for the gun, that would be it.

jlh26oo
July 28, 2008, 07:29 AM
Who cares what the name is if you can effectively tuck a P2000? I wish I could view this video to see if this is for real or not, but I don't have the right player. If there is a youtube version or something someone let me know.

http://www.lenaburgs.net/james/Video/waffenschmiede_320.rm

Several million test shots per year are fired on their own range. High-tech hand guns made in Germany.

Tests assure reliability and precision. The most modern weapons technology in the world.

For example, the new police pistil P-2000 9mm caliber, the latest development from the Schwabian weapon maker.

During manufacturing it all begins with the hardening in the metalworks.

The metal parts must be heated at 900C for three and a half hours in this specialized oven. The heat improves the mechanical properties of the steel and makes it harder.

The already hardened and pre-drilled heart of each weapon, the barrel, is placed in the hammer machine. 140 tons of pressure and 2000 hits per minute increase the metallic density of the steel. There is added hardness and the barrel is solid enough to bear the burden of functioning as a weapon.

“This is the raw barrel material and this is the barrel material after the hammering machine. It makes five of the P-2000 pistols.”

Weapon barrels need not only be hard but extremely straight. This barrel straightening machine uses laser sensors to find even the slightest problems and corrects them. The same work is also done by Peter Seaman. His only proofing machine: the human eye. The pipe corrector finds flaws even faster and more precisely than the machine. But this highly specialized career is slowly dying out. The extreme stress on the eyes scares off newcomers.

“In the last ten years I’ve needed two new prescriptions. Before that I didn’t wear glasses at all, not during the first 10 years. To this point man still outperforms machine.”

At the same time Juergen Krohn prepares a function test for the new police weapon.

“Our P-2000 is frozen at -20C for 24 hours. Our so-called ice test. We take it out and bring it to the shooting range where it’s supposed to function immediately.
Ice test passed, functioned without a problem.”

The slow motion camera show what extremes are expected of this weapon.

Even the military rifle, the thirty six is being tested today. In this box its desert capabilities are being tested.

“This is the sand and dust test. We usually close the top while infusing the sand but for demonstration purposes I am leaving it open. The weapon should still shoot without a problem.”

Meanwhile the design department is working on parts improvements. Since a lot of women are entering the police force, the P-2000 will also be offered with a smaller grip.

“How many grips do we still need?”
“Four more. One for each size.”

Grips are no longer made of metal but plastic. Here, any lingering moisture is being drawn out of the plastic.

Strengthening materials made of coal fiber increase the durability.

Using a nice looking plastic like the type used to produce Legos, an almost indestructible piece is manufactured. It is not only lighter than metal but less sensitive.

“This is the finished grip piece of the P-2000 and I will now demonstrate what it can withstand.”

On the test range the new German military machine pistol is being warmed up. The MP clearly has a higher [vorschlagskraft] than the earlier model. Now it’s about reliability under extreme conditions.

“This is the new MP7 with silencer. We have more and more Special Forces clients so we want to know that the gun will shoot right out of the water. For these soldiers it’s important that the gun is immediately usable upon coming out of water and doesn’t need time to put on a silencer. So we dunk it.”

The hardest test is being set up by Martin Stutzer. The machine gun NG4 is supposed to prove itself after a mudbath.

“None of us would expect this kind of use but we need to show that it is capable of being shot with very little preparation.”

Meanwhile, the workers at the final process are putting together the metal and plastic pieces of the P-2000. For this work there are no machines. The new police pistol is comprised of over 100 individual pieces. A puzzle challenge for the workers.

“To finish, you place this piece on top, the trigger in here, push it back and slide it around to make sure it glides smoothly, grip is comfortable, try the safety, test the trigger pressure, then it’s finished.”

Finished to be tried out. The test shooter tests each individual weapon. The shots are monitored by a computer. Especially the cadence must always read at over 800 shots per minute.

“We test its ability to shoot, its cadence is measured and displayed to make sure everything functions right. Absolutely every weapon is test shot.”

And every weapon is individually set up. This test shooter is calibrating the accuracy of its target shots. Only when it shoots into the black can the weapon be delivered.

“The weapon has to hit its target exactly where its shooter points it. That’s why we set it up to definitive accuracy.”

The P-2000 has passed all its tests. It is now ready to be used by the police force.

jlh26oo
July 28, 2008, 10:45 AM
BTW: if you get the flat magazine floorplates, I found it was even more concealable.

You can get them from HK USA.

Hey L.L. would you help me out with those (I.E. a direct link to where they are sold), because I am having trouble even navigating to where mags or anything is even sold F.T.M. on H.K. U.S.A. (assuming that means hk-usa.com)?

Black Majik
July 28, 2008, 01:41 PM
I also carry the regular service size P2000 in a 9mm v3 using a Comp-tac infidel w/ belt loops.

The gun seems perfect for concealing, very contoured as well so it doesn't print as bad as other "blockier" guns. As much as I don't want to admit it, I've mexican carried it a few times running into the store and I didn't want to thread the belt loops, it hides even better.

The flat baseplates do help very, very much also. The grip is the hardest part to conceal, the flat baseplates don't print nearly as much as the extended ones.

jlh26oo
July 28, 2008, 01:58 PM
I also carry the regular service size P2000 in a 9mm v3 using a Comp-tac infidel w/ belt loops.

The gun seems perfect for concealing, very contoured as well so it doesn't print as bad as other "blockier" guns. As much as I don't want to admit it, I've mexican carried it a few times running into the store and I didn't want to thread the belt loops, it hides even better.

The flat baseplates do help very, very much also. The grip is the hardest part to conceal, the flat baseplates don't print nearly as much as the extended ones.?

Just to be clear, you guys are teasing me right? I need them. MarkK even mentioned he found them for $5 (but didn't mention WHERE L.O.L. EDIT- he did, and even gave me part no's THANKS MARKK)! I'm told it's Hk-usa.com, but I can't figure out where exactly in that site. I emailed adam at hkparts.net and he doesn't have them, repeated I need to buy from "H.K. direct", I assume this also means hk-usa.

Do you have a link for these B.M.?

Black Majik
July 28, 2008, 02:04 PM
I wish I could help. I have the even harder to find 10 round flat baseplates for the USPc/P2000 magazines.

Heres where most people get theirs. But he's sometimes out of stock on them.
http://www.robertrtg.com/

Hope that helps.

jlh26oo
July 28, 2008, 02:11 PM
I really appreciate the link, Ill them a try. Thank you.

Is there really a difference between the 10 and 12 round mag baseplates?! I am actually not opposed to just buying a 10 round mag if they come with the bottom that fits right between the notches. I'll load it up with ten and call it a day. It will be a fraction of an ounce lighter L.O.L. I'm not a capacity queen.

FireArmFan
July 28, 2008, 03:09 PM
I carry a P2000 .40 IWB. I find it concealable even under a t-shirt. Not quite as easily as my XD sub compact but still pretty easily.

Vegas
July 28, 2008, 11:10 PM
Not a problem at all. I also carry in front pocket of my baggier cargo shorts. The rounded edged really help more than one would think. I usually carry in jeans IWB with comp-tac CTAC. No problems whatsoever. I now carry my p30 much more often, which has a longer grip and slide. The p2000 carries quite nice.

loplop
July 29, 2008, 10:05 AM
Re: flat mag baseplates. I bought mine directly from HK USA, faxed in the order, had them within a week. Just email or call them. IIRC they were about $15? I can't recall, it's been a LONG time :p

psyopspec
July 29, 2008, 02:15 PM
I converted one of my mags to a flat base plate with a Dremel just to see if I could do it. Used one of the circular cutting heads on the Dremel to get most of it off, then a palm sander to get the rest of the rubber off the bottom. Not as pretty as OEM, but it works fine. I'd suggest doing it in a garage or outdoors though as it made a bit of a mess and the rubber gives off some fumes while being cut. Also, only take off the rubber pad - don't go into the plastic or you may weaken the floor plate.

jlh26oo
July 29, 2008, 02:15 PM
H.K. is currently O.O.S., so he told me to call back in two weeks. I should have asked him about buying just the entire mag with flush baseplate, see if they have those instead (or at least while I'm waiting two weeks to call them back to fix the original two).

AZGlock13
July 29, 2008, 03:48 PM
Yep, Black Majik is correct. Robert at RTG Parts is where I bought my two flat floor plates for two of my thirteen rounders for my P2000 9mm LEM. Robert hopefully will have them in stock (he is sells them for $7 each I believe). When I ordered mine last year from him, I ordered them on the phone. He is a great guy to deal with and he shipped them out to me real fast (of course he didn't have to ship them too far, since we both live in AZ:D). Yes, getting flat floor plates for USP compact/P2000 9mm and .40 mags, is like looking for hen's teeth usually. I still don't know why H&K doesn't ship new P2000s with a least one flat floor plate (I can see them shipping them with one mag that has the usual finger extension floor plate and one the other mag with a flat floor plate). Oh well, that's H&K for you. I conceal carry (Bladetech Kydex IWB holster) my P2000 9mm LEM with the flat floor plate on, like already mentioned, it makes a world of a difference on how the gun prints.

AZGlock13
July 29, 2008, 03:50 PM
Double tap. Oops, sorry.

jlh26oo
July 29, 2008, 04:17 PM
I guess H.K. wasn't fibbing as R.T.G. gave me the same "try back in two weeks" response. Yeah why not include at least ONE lipless mag?

AZGlock13
July 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
jlh26oo, That's a bummer. Hang in there, I'm sure Robert will get some more in soon (as long as H&K is still making them:uhoh:). It is defiantly worth the wait for them. I just took two quick pictures with my P2000 9mm LEM next to my G19, one with the flat mag plate installed and the other with the normal finger rest floor plate installed, so you can get an idea of how must of a difference the flat floor plate makes in grip length (IMHO).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/AZGlock13/HK%20P2000/P2000_G19_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/AZGlock13/HK%20P2000/P2000_G19_2.jpg

jlh26oo
July 30, 2008, 02:21 PM
That does bring it closer to GLOCK compact dimensions. Most everyone is familiar with such a standard in C.C.W.'s. Good comparison pics.

So guys, I knew the U.S.P.c mags work in the P2000, but are the floorplates identical? They let me know they do have the U.S.P.c .40 S.W. floorplates, which "will work" with the P2000. But are they one in the same (I.E. same part number)? Or are there floorplates specifically designated for the P2000? Actually I don't care if they are not the same P.N., just so long as they fit between the notches at the bottom like AZ GLOCK's does there.

It's only $20, relative to the price of the P2000 itself I guess I should just order and find out (while they're actually available)!

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW an H&K P2000?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!