What is considered Hi-Capacity in 9mm?

PDA

watindes
July 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
This was before my gun interest so I don't know the specifics but what was considered too many bullets when the ban was in place?

thanks

Jesse

If you enjoyed reading about "What is considered Hi-Capacity in 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
novaDAK
July 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
Anything over 10 rounds was banned, regardless of caliber.

MaterDei
July 27, 2008, 08:46 PM
No such thing as Hi-capacity. There are normal full capacity magazines and neutered low capacity magazines. The defunct AWB prohibited the manufacture of magazine of greater than 10 rounds.

rsilvers
July 27, 2008, 10:44 PM
Not true. There are high-cap mags. For example, Glock makes 33 round high-capacity magazines.

tinygnat219
July 27, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'd say anything more than 10 rounds is: "Standard Capacity" for whatever that gun's magazine comes with.

Anything 10 rounds or less: "reduced capacity"

"High-capacity" is a term made up by the anti-gun crowd.

BlindJustice
July 27, 2008, 11:06 PM
The 1911 and P-08 Luger had 8 rd magazines. THe Browning Hi-Power was the first to have a staggered magazine with 13 rd magazine capacity.
S&W 59 was the first DA/SA with the staggered mag Hi-Cap mag.

High Capacity magazines for semi-autos was termed by gun
writers/magazines before most of y'all were probably born.

High Capacity 9MM Luger took off with the CZ 75 in 1975 and
the SIgs then Glocks - Beretta 92 came along shortly thereafter
and they filtered down to the gangbangers with spray & pray
drive bys.

Welcome to the late 20th century

R-

NG VI
July 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'd say any mag designed specifically to extend well past the grip and add notably more rounds to the gun's on-board capacity. For example, I don't think that a 17 round Glock 17 mag counts as a high cap, because it is designed to be fully integral with that pistol, even if the mag is used in a Glock 19 or 26. However, the 33-round stick magazines I would call high capacity, because it improves capacity beyond what any production Glock pistol can use in a reasonable size.

Phil DeGraves
July 28, 2008, 12:58 PM
THe Browning Hi-Power was the first to have a staggered magazine with 13 rd magazine capacity.

Actually, the Broomhandle Mauser M1896, was the first full powered "hi-cap" staggered magazine handgun.

fletcher
July 28, 2008, 01:01 PM
>10 rounds is the typical limit before it's legally considered "high capacity". Realistically, I'd consider a high capacity magazine anything that protrudes unusually from the bottom of the pistol, such as the 33-rounders mentioned above.

lions
July 28, 2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with NG VI. "High capacity" will vary from gun to gun based on what the gun was designed to hold. If you use a mag that holds more rounds than the one that came with the gun I would call it high capacity.

Watindes: Who doesn't enjoy a good royale burger with cheese?

watindes
July 28, 2008, 02:13 PM
My Astra has a 17 round clip, I was surprised when I got it that it could hold that much.

Thanks for the responses

possum
July 28, 2008, 02:13 PM
i personally think there is no such thing as "high cap" but technically anything over 10rds is "high cap"

nalioth
July 28, 2008, 02:41 PM
Not true. There are high-cap mags. For example, Glock makes 33 round high-capacity magazines. They are not 'high capacity mags'. They are standard capacity for the Glock 18.
i personally think there is no such thing as "high cap" but technically anything over 10rds is "high cap" "Technically" here meaning "legally under the old AWB"

If it was designed for a pistol, it is standard capacity.

The Calico 100 round 9mm magazine for the Calico pistol is not a "high cap mag", but a standard one.
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7619/calicom950op4.jpg

As has been mentioned, a "high cap mag" is a legal invention. The gov can pass a law that says dogs are cats, but that doesn't change reality.

Phil DeGraves
July 28, 2008, 03:15 PM
High capacity referred t more than was previously understood to be normal for a handgun. So, in the 1800s, anything more than 6 rounds (the LeMat revolver for example) was "high capacity". After the turn of the century when the whole world had pretty much gone to either .45 or 9mm, standard capacity was 7 or 8 rounds. When the BHP came along with 13 rounds standard, that was perceived to be "high capacity."

Orion8472
July 28, 2008, 03:24 PM
I agree with those who say that "high capacity" is an anti-gunner term.

My FN Five Seven has a standard round capacity of 20 rounds for each magazine. Those who are unfortunate enough to live in "communist states" have reduced capacity magazines of 10 rounds.

Now, I do have two magazines that I have 10 round extenders on. I suppose they could be technically labeled as "high capacity magazines".

KiltedClaymore
July 28, 2008, 03:28 PM
33 rounds for most pistols

jlh26oo
July 28, 2008, 03:34 PM
That would have been funny had they weighted it according to caliber though (I.E. you get to choose among 8 rounds of .45 A.C.P., 9 rounds of .40 S.W./.357sig, or 10 rounds of 9mm etc)!

Seriously though, that's a good point P.D.G.- it's all relative.

BlindJustice
July 28, 2008, 04:15 PM
+1 Phil DeGraves for the reality of terms of
High Capacity and when it was coined.

Randall

jaydubya
July 28, 2008, 10:19 PM
A historical note: the Browning High Power came to be known that way because of a rather poor translation its Belgian/French name: Grande Puissance. A better translation would be "High Capacity". So now you know where it came from.

Cordially, Jack

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 28, 2008, 10:50 PM
As has been mentioned, a "high cap mag" is a legal invention. The gov can pass a law that says dogs are cats, but that doesn't change reality.

So true - well-put. Something about that made me laugh hard. I guess it's the thought of my dogs being pissed off that the .gov is claiming they are worthless cats. :D

I had also already forgotten about giving away all of those damned "low-caps" (which came with pistols I bought) on the internet to those poor saps in Maryland, Mass, and elsewhere. Needless to say, from 94-04, I bought only pistols which had a large supply of "standard caps" on the used market.

Is that a brass catcher hangin off that Calico, or what?

nalioth
July 28, 2008, 11:29 PM
Is that a brass catcher hangin off that Calico, or what? Yes. Ain't bottom ejection wonderful?

Cliff47
July 29, 2008, 10:33 AM
There is the "designed capacity" of any specific semi-auto (be it 7, 8, 9, 13, or more rounds), and the "legislated capacity" as specified in the AWB of 10 rounds, and anything over the "legislated capacity" as being a high-capacity magazine (especially to the anti-gun groupies).

packnrat
July 29, 2008, 12:33 PM
in places like ca they have rewritten the wording on "high cap" it was at one time only standard cap (the sizes made for the gun)
then came along the true high cap mags holding way over the number of rounds the manf started with. drum was not a high cap only just a drum.

but now places like ca, call any mag holding over 10 rounds a high cap.

so you can say calling a mag high cap is just using correct speach...not real life.

Defensory
July 30, 2008, 05:53 AM
As a general rule, I consider any large or medium frame 9mm that accepts a double stack mag to be "high capacity".

If you enjoyed reading about "What is considered Hi-Capacity in 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!