Cast vs Swaged round balls - is there really a difference?

PDA

BigBlock
July 27, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'm just curious about the quality of lead round balls that are cast compared to swaged lilke Hornaday balls. I've only used swaged up until now but want to start casting. Does the "perfect" swaged ball really make any noticeable difference?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cast vs Swaged round balls - is there really a difference?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Voodoochile
July 27, 2008, 08:27 PM
I mostly use Cast balls because I'm a cheap scate & proud of it, but on occasion I'll get a box or two of the Hornady Swaged balls for Christmas or Birthday & to me I'm not that picky of a shot to really tell the difference "in accuracy" between the two different .457 balls cept that mine are a tad harder than Hornady's probably due that mine are 98% pure lead as theirs are 99.9%.

scrat
July 27, 2008, 08:52 PM
Waist of money. I have spent money twice on hornady swaged balls. both time it was because i either did not bring enough or forgot a box at home. I have compared them too. i cant tell the difference. other than the dark color from the graphite coat. heck i have even coated mine once in a while with graphite and still cant tell the difference as far as shooting and accuracy. But then i believe most accuracy from a cap and ball depends on how many shots you have done since you have cleaned it. then the lube helps a lot too. So no start casting and saving yourself some money its well worth it. especially when you can spend about 3-4 hours casting on a day off and get a almost a thousand round balls that will last you a long time.

Seafarer12
July 27, 2008, 09:51 PM
There isn't a whole lot of difference as long as you postion the sprue in the same place every time you load it. I use the Hornady they aren't that high. If I was shooting matches I would spring for them. As far as taking up casting them you would have to shoot a bunch to make it worth the time and effort.

mykeal
July 27, 2008, 09:52 PM
If you take the time and effort to make other factors equal, then yes, there is a measurable difference in accuracy. Same patch, same lube, same powder, same load, same compression, same barrel condition and most of all, same bullet weight. And size. If you don't control those other variables, then you will be wasting money.

Shotgun Willy
July 28, 2008, 01:37 AM
I gave less than $20 for my .454 Lee mold. A box of Hornady-at Bass Pro- is $19.99. I cast three pounds of lead this weekend-at $.90 a pound-and got 147 balls. To my way of thinking, that's reason enough.

Mike OTDP
July 28, 2008, 10:20 AM
$20/box for .454s is WAY too much. About twice what they are worth.

I use the swaged RBs because I stocked up when they were very cheap...and am strapped for time. But there is no practical difference between cast and swaged for a pistol shooter.

sundance44s
July 28, 2008, 11:02 AM
I`ve got 2 , 36cal pistols I still buy the store bought balls for ..only because I mabe shoot these once a year ..But when it comes to the .454 balls I shoot nothing but what I cast ..These I shoot very often .

PRM
July 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
At the distances I shoot my C&B revolvers, I can't tell any big advantage. I cast my own and load them spru up.

Pancho
July 30, 2008, 03:28 PM
If your shooting a C&B revolver they're not worth it because you're swaging the ball anyway when you press it into the cylinder.

ArmedBear
July 30, 2008, 03:36 PM
Where do you get your pure lead?

scrat
July 30, 2008, 04:04 PM
there was a guy that i always used to get my pure lead from on ebay. i have bought a lot of lead on ebay. when you get it at 50-60lbs i was usually getting it at around .90-1.00 a lbs delivered to my door. of course i would always test the lead. brinall hardness test to make sure it was pure. I still have about 30lbs left. So im good for a while.

Voodoochile
July 30, 2008, 05:48 PM
I use a combination of Plumbers Lead from Plumbing supply locations, that is 99.9% pure & was at .75 a pound 2-3 years ago & then I use Adhesive Wheel Weights from work & the supplier "adhesive Wheel Weights are 98% Pure Lead which by it's self is plenty soft for muzzleloading bullets but when I mix the two 50/50 I get a consistent 98.8% Purity.

BTW I get my Adhesive Wheel Weights for free through my work & only .50 a pound from the supplier.

I have some where around 80 pounds mixed ATM.

Snaggletooth
July 30, 2008, 07:22 PM
I cant get over the difference in prices of lead balls. Bass Pro is the same 19.99 for all sizes. I buy 375s for6.99 and 457s for 8.99. Bass Pro has started liking their stuff too much for my pocket/

Voodoochile
July 30, 2008, 09:29 PM
I cant get over the difference in prices of lead balls. Bass Pro is the same 19.99 for all sizes. I buy 375s for6.99 and 457s for 8.99. Bass Pro has started liking their stuff too much for my pocket/

Including the propane it'd take me to cast my .457's I can produce around 400 balls for $9.00!!!
You pay that for just 100!! :eek:

Just Kidding friend but you can shoot for a lot less if you cast your own by getting a good source for Lead, I even cast my own 405gr. .458's for my 45/70 & 200gr. .430's for my 44/40.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cast vs Swaged round balls - is there really a difference?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!