XDs or Glocks

PDA

XDGirl
July 27, 2008, 11:42 PM
i picked XDs :D

If you enjoyed reading about "XDs or Glocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
weisse52
July 28, 2008, 12:03 AM
Like better in what regard?

I have owned Glock's and shot XD's. I like the grip angle on the XD and the grip safety, but I know the Glock was 100% reliable.

MarcusWendt
July 28, 2008, 12:07 AM
This can only lead to trouble.

devilok
July 28, 2008, 12:40 AM
I voted Glock. Both pistols are roughly equal in quality, but Springfield makes it impossible to get spare parts (they're only now starting to show up on pistolgear.com).

Glock parts on the other hand, can be had from pretty-much anywhere. Not to mention the fact that Glock will fix/replace their pistols pretty-much forever.

19-3Ben
July 28, 2008, 12:51 AM
I voted neither. My vote is planted firmly with the S&W M&P camp.

VAX
July 28, 2008, 01:16 AM
My wife and I both think our XD .45 is just as reliable and easy to shoot as our Glock, 17, or 19, and it certainly looks more intimidating.

If it was me, it would be XD all the way, or maybe one of the new Taurus 800 .45's, but my wife still likes her Glco 17 with the Lazermax.

She says it matches her Mossberg 500 Cruiser better.

Defensory
July 28, 2008, 01:54 AM
XD all the way!

evan price
July 28, 2008, 03:56 AM
Who gives a ****?

Buy what you shoot best.

These polls are stupid.

DWARREN123
July 28, 2008, 05:41 AM
I like my Glocks, 23/27. They fit me after a short time of use and are reliable. I just do not like how the XD's feel to me.

psyopspec
July 28, 2008, 05:58 AM
For what? If I could only pick one, and it had to work for every future scenario, and I could never have another pistol again, I'd go for a Glock. Otherwise, give me an XD anyday to test out and then use as a carry gun. No matter what I pick, what is this thread supposed to prove?

denfoote
July 28, 2008, 07:16 AM
We are Glock.
Resistance is futile.
You will be assimilated.

http://usera.imagecave.com/denfoote/Aliens_borg_assimilation_faces.gif

PTK
July 28, 2008, 08:41 AM
I love them both and carry an XD45 every day, but I love my Glock 17 more - just try finding inexpensive (sub-$150) drop-in threaded barrels for XDs.

XDKingslayer
July 28, 2008, 09:34 AM
Obviously I went with XD. I think they're better ergonomically for me.

Matt-J2
July 28, 2008, 09:42 AM
I voted neither, as I'm just not cool enough for polymer pistols, with their fancy semiautomatic actions and newfangled high capacity magazines.

CrazyWella
July 28, 2008, 09:46 AM
I voted Glock. Both pistols are roughly equal in quality, but Springfield makes it impossible to get spare parts (they're only now starting to show up on pistolgear.com).

Glock parts on the other hand, can be had from pretty-much anywhere. Not to mention the fact that Glock will fix/replace their pistols pretty-much forever.
Something to think about though, XDs have only been around a few years. Glocks have been around for a few decades. I voted XD, I've tried both and I love the way the XD feels in my hand, the glock was nice the but the grip angle was a little exetreme. Both I feel are very reliable and quality pistoils.

Walkalong
July 28, 2008, 09:48 AM
Who gives a ****?

Buy what you shoot best.

Yep. I voted XD though, for what that is worth. ;)

OH25shooter
July 28, 2008, 09:54 AM
OMG! Not another XD vs. Glock poll. :banghead: These polls are so subjective. What's next, stainless vs. blued? My gun is better than yours...nah-nah-nah. :neener:

FLoppyTOE
July 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
Love my XD's!

July 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
I've owned many of both. I voted Glock. They are what everyone else copies.

possum
July 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
i as well went xd and i will .have more in the future i have 2 xd's right now in .40 and i am just waiting for that xdm in 9mm with the 2 tone to come out and then i will pick up one if them. glocks are awesom and i like em and all but i am so much better with the xd line, and i prefer them over the glock line. i won't go into depth about all the reasons why as that has been discussed many times over, but i just prefer the xd line.

chingon
July 28, 2008, 01:12 PM
I like both, but have to go with xd as I don't like glock's grip angle near as well.

memphisjim
July 28, 2008, 01:26 PM
i picked glock to to the thickness of the polymer in the grip

PCRit
July 28, 2008, 01:29 PM
It's the grip angle "thing". XDs (like 1911s and CZs) have a natural grip angle which I prefer over Gs.. I've owned just about every caliber of Glock, sold them all, went to XD.

Ske1etor
July 28, 2008, 01:45 PM
XD. Grip angle is correct, backed by Springfields lifetime warranty, and it doesn't squeak when you rack the slide...

Deanimator
July 28, 2008, 01:47 PM
Everybody I know who has an XD likes it.

I just don't like the looks. The perceived height of the slide looks awkward to me.

I have two Glocks, a 19 and a 22 and will stick with them.

Unlike S&W revolvers with the lock, I don't mistrust the XD. If somebody gave me an XD, I would certainly keep it. The S&W with the lock, I couldn't get out of my house fast enough.

Ala Dan
July 28, 2008, 01:53 PM
XD's fit me better~! :scrutiny: :cool:

cdcmj
July 28, 2008, 01:57 PM
XD's are the new glock..they are superior is every facet, deal with it you old foagies hahah

thegoodfight
July 28, 2008, 02:05 PM
If you want a copy, get an XD. If you wan the real thing, go glock.

burningsquirrels
July 28, 2008, 02:50 PM
Cz. :D

caseypj
July 28, 2008, 02:52 PM
I have an XD and a glock, I prefer the glock, better trigger.

wally
July 28, 2008, 03:46 PM
I like XDs better than Glocks as Glocks just don't fit me well and are therefor the guns I shoot worst with. But I like the S&W M&P even better than the XD.

Still nothing beats a good cocked and locked SA like a 1911, or Witness Elite Match, or SIG P220SAO in my hands.

--wally.

Zan
July 28, 2008, 04:03 PM
A very trivial question that's asked a lot on this forum. This firearm or that firearm unless it's totally obvious in the quality of the firearm, the variations, mechanics and aesthetics are much different from gun to gun, it's not worth asking. I love the way CZ's feel when I shoot them. I like the fact that Glocks field strip so easily and cleanly and the ass amount of options available to them. I like the conceal ability of the XD's and their so damn sexy looking. Asking this brand or that brand it like saying Ford or Chevy, they both make their own market favored features and they both lack in something the other doesn't.

I'm not voting.

CountGlockula
July 28, 2008, 04:50 PM
Glocks...because they came first.

sparkyguy
July 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
XD's have been around for awhile, just under another name. It's amazing how nobody cared about them, reviewed them, or gave two ****'s about them until Springfield put their name on them, then all of a sudden they are "way better then a Glock".:barf::barf: Saps.:rolleyes:

10-Ring
July 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
I've seen more XD's break than Glocks -- 3 to 1 :D I voted Glock

joesolo
July 28, 2008, 10:45 PM
Glocks. Of all the other pistols I've owned and tried to find the balance between reliability, power and concealment I keep coming back to my G27. These include Colt Pocket Nine, Rohrbaugh, HK, Kel Tec, etc. I like these guns, don't get me wrong, but the Glock better balances all of the attributes I want.

.cheese.
July 28, 2008, 10:46 PM
I have 6 Glocks and will probably buy more.

If I could do it over again, I'd get all XDs though. The new XDm looks amazing.

So even though I'm a big Glock fan, I voted XD.

exar
July 28, 2008, 10:50 PM
Put me in the 'XD fit's me better' camp.

Bear2000
July 28, 2008, 10:51 PM
I own and XD9 but voted Glock. I had shot them both before buying the XD9, which had more safety features I liked and seemed to fit better. Now I kind of wish I had gotten the Glock, which I am able to shoot better.

That said, I'll take my CZ 75B over either one in a heartbeat.

Geno
July 28, 2008, 11:01 PM
I had 3 SA XDs, and I really liked them. However, SA makes it nearly impossible to make repairs unless you are willing to send the pistol to them, over-night UPS or other. Glock, on the other hand, makes it easy to get parts. For fact, I like both equally for their quality. They are both excellent. The Glock is more readily repaired (like a Glock ever needed), and modified if ever desired (like anyone would ever modify a Glock). :) There is no shame in liking either, or both.

doc2rn
July 29, 2008, 08:25 AM
I prefer FN to the above, so I went neither.

bowl443
July 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
I don't like these threads...

It's like a caliber war...

I have shot and do like both, but I own an XD:)

lions
July 29, 2008, 12:58 PM

So what will you be voting for in my upcoming chicken vs. egg poll?

I voted XD, what with the grip angle and all. It really points so naturally. Not a glock hater here though, I really want a 17 after shooting my friend's! (Reading that last sentence again I decided to double check my grammar!)

valor1
July 29, 2008, 07:31 PM
i like the XD's because I love shooting lead bullets without worrying about kabooms. I can't do that with the Glock unless I buy an aftermarket that supports the 6 o'clock position of the bullets.

Throwingdown
July 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
Depends on why.
For carry or dependability - Glock without question.
For range/target XD would be fine.

XD seems too top heavy IMO. Both equally wide.

gastonmellon
July 29, 2008, 10:23 PM
XD for me!! BUT, I think this thread shows that Both Glock and XD are the 2 most respected guns out there today. NOW dont get all outawack 1911 guys, I like those also. But times have changed and reliable poly guns are here to stay. over 20 years now. My first gun was a glock, and i still miss that gun.

Chilean
July 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
GLOCK...no XD experience yet... :)

Ric in Richmond
July 30, 2008, 01:06 PM
No funky grip angles for me!!

Had an XD and should have kept it.

sparkyguy
July 30, 2008, 03:44 PM
I have a feeling if Hi-Point were bought out by Colt, those guns would be the greatest handgun since JMB made the 1911.:rolleyes:

ceadermtnboy
July 30, 2008, 11:26 PM
I personally think the Glock feels like a holding onto a 2x4 canted at a sharp angle. The XD has a much better grip. I find very few people except Glock fans that have had problems with their XD'S. I like the M&P better than both. S&W finally did something right with an autopistol!

sparkyguy
July 31, 2008, 03:27 AM
I had an XD. Trigger spring broke before it got to 1k rounds. Also felt top heavy, looked kinda "busy" too.

countryrebel
July 31, 2008, 09:46 PM
I voted xd but only because I have three of them and one glock. I do like both though. I have owned four glocks but for now just a 23c.

bleachcola
July 31, 2008, 09:51 PM
Arguing over which one is more reliable is pointless since they are both excellent performers. So when a person is trying to decide between the two they should merely be looking at the grip (most important) followed by the appearance. I personally think the grip on the XD's are much more natural and comfortable. I also think they look better than Glocks. So I bought me an XD and love it. My concealed carry piece is a subcompact .40S&W.

bleachcola
July 31, 2008, 09:55 PM

Precisely why I carry a Colt Single Action Army. It came first. My jerk neighbor had to one-up me though. He carries a spear hidden in the back of his pants. He told me they came first and that he would chuck it at a bad guy if the SHTF. Ever since then I've been looking around for a good rock that can carry in public. Rocks came first.

Tennessee Ned
July 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I don't have either but I thought that I had it narrowed down to a Glock until I held the XDm. It just feels right. I don't know how it shoots but I do like the extras that it comes with. It seems that you get more for less than the price of a Glock. The Glock does have that special barrel rifling though doesn't it? I would think that because of that it is maybe more accurate for an experienced shooter? Especially in the .45? Thoughts?

PCRit
August 1, 2008, 08:19 AM
Tennessee Ned,

Yes, Glock's do have a different barrel rifling, and as such it's recommended that you only shoot jacketed/plated bullets, no lead only rounds.

My Glocks were no more accurate than my XD's, at least in my hands;)

XD's have standard barrel rifling and are fine for all bullets, including lead.

briang2ad
August 1, 2008, 12:44 PM
Overall, the Glock is very hard to beat for the following:

- It is proven, reliable and tough
- Accessories are EVERYWHERE
- It is VERY lightweight
- It is very easy to work on

BUT - XDs have some real pluses:

- The grip is VERY ergonomic. My XD 45C is about perfect, and is probably why I got it over the Glock 30 - it was before the SF came out, but it still 'feels' better.

- Their compact and sub models come really as TWO guns - and its legit. Glocks can take mags and extensions, but XD packages it nicely.

- If you have to deal with customer service, SA reimburses for shipping and this is a big plus, and their CS is great to deal with

BUT - the XD should go with an external extractor - I don't like the way their internal claw is layed out - it works, but it isn't so easy to get to.

DougDubya
August 1, 2008, 04:41 PM
OH! The Glocks are gettin' spanked in the polls!

GO TEAM XD!

ArkansasFatboy
August 1, 2008, 10:47 PM
I picked XD I love my XD.45acp Have shot the Blocks :Doops I mean Glocks and they didn't feel right and didn't point well for me.

XD what a Glock wants to be when it grows up!!!:neener:

PhillyGlocker
August 3, 2008, 01:41 AM
i picked XDs

Because you're a girl, most guys here will vote XD to be at one with you, and you know that. Get the Glock. It is the original. Leave that copy alone.

MadMercS55
August 3, 2008, 10:13 AM
I voted Glock. I have both platforms and find things I think are better overall on the Glock from an ease of maintenance and engineering standpoint. I'm not a big Glock fan, but they do their intended purpose very well. The grip of the Glock is a personal thing, love it or hate it. The ease of parts replacement on the Glock is a big factor for me. I like to stockpile parts and do my own work on my sidearms. With the Glock, this is simple. I tried to get spare parts for my XD's and some of the critical parts are not easily purchased on the aftermarket. I don't like sending my sidearm back to the factory for simple repairs. Neither platform feels 100% perfect to me though, but the Glock was a better compromise in the end.

PhillyGlocker
August 3, 2008, 10:52 AM
Glock is the original. XD is the imitator. I'll stick with the original. Glock ain't going nowhere, no matter how hard S & W, Springfield, or Sig try to knock Glock out of the box.

PhillyGlocker
August 3, 2008, 10:56 AM
I voted Glock. I have both platforms and find things I think are better overall on the Glock from an ease of maintenance and engineering standpoint. I'm not a big Glock fan, but they do their intended purpose very well. The grip of the Glock is a personal thing, love it or hate it. The ease of parts replacement on the Glock is a big factor for me. I like to stockpile parts and do my own work on my sidearms. With the Glock, this is simple. I tried to get spare parts for my XD's and some of the critical parts are not easily purchased on the aftermarket. I don't like sending my sidearm back to the factory for simple repairs. Neither platform feels 100% perfect to me though, but the Glock was a better compromise in the end.
You know your weapons! :D

valor1
August 3, 2008, 11:32 AM
i forgot to mention, I love handling and shooting the XD's better than the Glocks.

xd45gaper
August 3, 2008, 12:18 PM
i have an XD 4" service model, and a Glock 19, they are damn near the same size, weight, width etc, the glock grip and angle is different than the XD. I like the way the XD grip feels, the glock grip angle isnt unnatrual or anything!

i like them both though, if i had to bet my life on it would be the glock, between my two pistols ive had issues with the XD45 GAP locking open while i was fireing it and still having a full magazine, never had an issue with the glock though!

jonboynumba1
August 3, 2008, 12:25 PM
I actually like both in different ways. I like the feel and shootabillity of the XD a little better. I like the simplicity construction and finish of the glock better (beter mousetrap IMHO). If the XD had a better tougher finish and a shorter trigger reset with maybe less mush in the pull/break it would be a hands down winner. As it is I think it shoots a hair better but the GLOCK is deffinately a better deffensive tool and probably the beter design overall....of course at the end of the day all that matters is what YOU like and what YOU shoot best. So it's not really a big issue...they are both great guns...plenty reliable and accurate IMHO

jdc1244
August 3, 2008, 12:40 PM
Who gives a ****?

Buy what you shoot best.

These polls are stupid.

I agree (but the polls will continue...)

And thanks to the OP for giving us steelies a choice. :);)

Daemon688
August 3, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sig fan and I hate polymer pistols. But I'll choose the XD any day of the week. The grips fit me much better and I shoot it better.

Guillermo
August 3, 2008, 12:45 PM
I recently bought a striker fire 45acp.
Looked at the Glock, XD and M&P

I already own a Glock 19 and it is outstanding. Parts are available from the factory and a ton of aftermarket suppliers are ready to help too. Still the ergonomics of the XD & M&P won out.

When faced with the choice of the XD or M&P I went with the XD.

Why? Because I no longer do business with Smith & Clinton.

Master of Arms
August 3, 2008, 02:17 PM
Glock because I own one. LOL Nah, really because there is a reason that the majority of Police, state troopers etc.etc. use the Glocks. They are THE most reliable weapon available. They are very accurate, dependable, easy to disassemble and reassemble, have many alterations such as the capability of having two calibers in one gun just by simply changing the barrel and clip which takes about 30 seconds, and cause I own it. lolol

XD-40 Shooter
August 3, 2008, 03:30 PM
I voted XD, superior ergonomics for me.

philbo
August 3, 2008, 03:36 PM
XD's every time.

Rustynuts
August 3, 2008, 08:26 PM
XD

Highly doubt XD's break 3x more than glock as stated above, probably more like 3x LESS KB's and ND's.

Pretty rare to see moaning about broken XD's on the XD forum. Usually it's "which model of XD do I buy next!"

Glocks look ugly to me, not the XD. It's a beauty.

tiger rag
August 3, 2008, 11:01 PM
Love the Glocks not so much the knockoffs!

CombatArmsUSAF
August 3, 2008, 11:28 PM
The grip angle on Glocks feels funny to me. The XD on the other hand felt natural.

I grew up shooting guns with grip angles similar to the 1911.

briang2ad
August 4, 2008, 05:55 PM
but after shooting my sons G19, and now owning a Steyr (similar grip angle) I have to say, you DO get used to it.

But... the XD still feels slimmer in the hand. It is a natural, and my XD45C rivals my Steyr which is VERY ergonomic! If Glock simply modified the grip a bit, it would once again take the 'lead' in almost every aspect. Then again, if XD got rid of the silly internal extractor, it would be VERY hard to beat.

If you enjoyed reading about "XDs or Glocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!