Kahr or Glock

PDA

10/22plinker
July 28, 2008, 12:29 AM
Kahr and Glock are very similar but which do you think is better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr or Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The_Sheriff
July 28, 2008, 12:31 AM
Glock is way better :)

19-3Ben
July 28, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'd go for the Kahr.

Matt-J2
July 28, 2008, 12:35 AM
Kahr and Glock are very similar?

GW
July 28, 2008, 12:35 AM
Purely subjective
Glocks are great and super reliable but thicker however it can carry 2x the ammo of a Kahr (G-17 vs CW-9)
Kahr's are slimmer but reliable as well.

What are you looking to do with the pistol?
Kahr definitely has a concealability edge
Try shooting both and see which one resonates best with you.
You really can't go too wrong with either

Blarelli
July 28, 2008, 12:56 AM
I love my kahr. It's thin, accurate, light, and reliable. For me it is the perfect carry gun.
As for which is better, that comes down to what you want it for. If it is carrying then I would choose the kahr. If it is home defense, I would go with the higher capacity glock.

lazyeye
July 28, 2008, 01:05 AM
I just got a Kahr PM9 and it most likely will replace my G26 as my primary carry.

This is a decision mainly based on the thickness of the PM9 vs the G26 and my daily business attire. Mainly though the big question is which can you shoot more effectively?

denfoote
July 28, 2008, 07:23 AM
The MK9 is the single stack Glock shoulda made.

jocko
July 28, 2008, 07:32 AM
Own the G19 and love it. Goes bang every time. great gun.

Own a PM9 and a K9, both go bang every time.

carry my PM9 front pocket 24/7, can't do that with a G19.
My choice KAHR

burningsquirrels
July 28, 2008, 08:11 AM
they're both completely different guns. what are you going to use it for? the only reason i would go with kahr is if you needed to conceal carry, as they are thinner and more compact - for example, the pm9 or cw9 than a g26.

however if you plan to sport shoot, the glock is the way to go.

Disaster
July 28, 2008, 08:39 AM
Glocks are a good value, incredibly reliable and have decent customer support. Kahrs are smaller, many have issues, especially initially with feed reliability and the company does not have a good reputation for customer service.

I would only choose a Kahr over a Glock if the extra concealability was needed.

burningsquirrels
July 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
all i know about kahr's service is they usually make an honest attempt at fixing anyone's issues from what i have read and talked about with kahr owners.

biggiesmalls
July 28, 2008, 08:55 AM
glock for combat, kahr for carry.

W.E.G.
July 28, 2008, 08:58 AM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/kool_aidGlock.jpg

Disaster
July 28, 2008, 09:05 AM
kahr...they usually make an honest attempt....

Specifically, I've read of guns coming back with half-_ssed fixes...screws buggered up from removing them...guns that still would not feed. They wanted a huge amount of money to service a second owner gun that had an obvious manufacturing defect. While few companies extend warranties to the second owner many will ignore this rule if the problem is obviously theirs. S&W for example has replaced parts on second owner guns.

Don't get me wrong. I love the size and feel of Kahrs. But I don't own one because I've been scared by the customer service issues I've read about. I would love to buy one used, from an owner who had a good reliable experience with one because I suspect if you get a good one, and never have to deal with customer service, you will be very happy.

P.S. I salivate over a CW9 every time I'm in the gun store.

burningsquirrels
July 28, 2008, 09:09 AM
well understood, disaster, but i thought i'd add some positive to the mix. friend i shoot with had a pm9 that needed service as a third owner, and they were still able to assist him pretty fairly. he started having some FTE issues and they did some work to the ejector and something else iirc. also, the gun shop has helped another guy with a p45 that went back before, which they had sold as used. there's also other threads here at THR about kahr that show examples of good service.

Skipper
July 28, 2008, 09:15 AM
I have several Glocks, but have used a Kahr P-40 as my daily carry gun for about 7 years. Nothing of equal ability carries as well.
Tha early issues I had were handled by Kahr pronto. The tech that worked on my pistol even called me at work, twice in one morning, to make sure he had everything straight. I could not have asked for more.
Skip

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 28, 2008, 09:18 AM
They're not really similar at all. The Kahr is about 5 times the gun.

NG VI
July 28, 2008, 10:36 AM
The Glock subcompacts are not really a pocket carry gun, unless you get the right pockets (there are some shorts at target that actually have an ideal front pocket design, so much so that I ordered a pocket holster for my Glock 27 from FIST) but they are far less likely to have any manufacturing defects, Glock has gotten mass production down pretty well, and the smallest Glocks (36 and 39 not included) hold as much or more ammo than the larger Kahr models. I love the way my 27 shoots, I love having 9+1 rounds of .40 that I can accurately place rounds with, and I love that it just about disappears under a t-shirt with the FIST Kydex IWB I have for it. Best $40 holster I have ever bought.

Guns and more
July 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
I don't think they are similar, other than both being small. Both good guns. I'd hold both and see which fits your hand better. The Kahr, is slimmer (as someone said) and easier to conceal. To me, Glocks never feel right in my hand and I do have a PM-9, but that's just me. Forget all the advice from others, both are good shooters.

jocko
July 28, 2008, 10:58 AM
I have heard that kahrs service is excellent. Most people never need it though. They make an excellent product, but they are still made by people to, so things will happen. Glocks have issues to, so don't kid yourself. ask the Indiana State Police, who bought all G22 and had so many unsolved issues that Glock took them all back and they are now carrying the G17. So, if you want a kahr, or a Smith, or whatever, read allyou can take all comments with a grain of salt. Then go out and buy the gun you want and cross your fingers that it is good out of the box. Most all of the better quality guns are just that, "good to go".But ifyou have an issue, work with the factory service people. Most all will make it right for you. If they don't fix it right, peddle it and move on. Its not the end of the world.

burningsquirrels
July 28, 2008, 11:02 AM
^^^ lol, that's probably why CDNN is stacked with factory rebuilt, night sight g22's for 350.

jocko
July 28, 2008, 12:22 PM
no doubt in my mind..

Shawn Dodson
July 28, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have both, a G19 and a PM9. I carried the G19 for years when I lived in the Pacific Northwest and I wore a light jacket or heavy shirt most of the year.

I got the PM9 after I moved to Florida and found I couldn't conceal my G19 as well as I liked, given my style of clothing for hot weather.

I got the PM9 because it has the same exact manual of arms as the G19, so my operator skills directly transfer from one to the other and vice versa.

The PM9 is surprisingly accurate, given the short barrel.

I modified my PM9 by adding a Hogue Handall Jr. and Pearce magazine base plate grip extension. It conceals very well.

Which one is better? What's the mission?

possum
July 28, 2008, 01:01 PM
welcome to thr.
I don't really consider t6he kahr and glock lines to be "similar" but with that aside. It really depends what the purpose is, for a ccw gun the kahr might serve you better in the summer time, and maybe as a bug, but you can't go wrong with a glock compact frame for ccw either. i have a kahr k-40 and i love it, which is a steel framed model, but there poly guns have had problems for as long as they have been around. i think that the glock would give you many many more thousands of rounds service life without issue over the kahr. Glocks have been around long enough to prove themselves over and over again and they are in use by so many people, military, leo, ccw than probally any other gun makers products. if i had to pick a best for generla purposes that i would trust my life to in any situation anywhere anytime then i would go with the glock.

10/22plinker
July 28, 2008, 01:15 PM
Thank you for all your help I didn't mean to start a giant contraversy.

jocko
July 28, 2008, 01:28 PM
when u ask for "opinion" a giant contraversy will indeed surface, but for most of us,,,,it is all in a days work and also fun. One should not loose any real sleep over what is said or not said on the internet..

jlh26oo
July 28, 2008, 03:00 PM
Khrock!

IdahoLT1
July 28, 2008, 06:21 PM
Kahr. i owned a G23C and G19 and now a CW9.

tblt
July 28, 2008, 07:48 PM
DO YOU SEE LAW INFORCEMENT USING kahr??????

KiltedClaymore
July 28, 2008, 07:53 PM
no need to yell tblt, we cant hear you over the internet anyhow :neener:

but go for the kahr

redneckrepairs
July 28, 2008, 08:07 PM
First off i dont see them as similar . Second off what i think may be " better " should have no effect on you . Its not hard to do a search and discover that i dislike glocks . It is not hard to do a search and learn that i like Kahrs . However no matter how i like my Kahr it is not " better " than a glock . Just fyi the only thing " similar " between them is that they both run from a " half cock " and on the surface one looks like a miniature of the other . Both can be fine pistols however they are vastly different designs .

IdahoLT1
July 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
I actually know a few LEO's that carry kahrs as their back up sidearm. They arent standard issue because of their capacity. They arent a full size service firearm and were never intended to be. They were designed, built and intended for civilian concealed carry. If they built a full size model, i think the sales would be through the roof.

XDGirl
July 28, 2008, 08:32 PM
Out of the two I'd go for the Glock ;)

wheel
July 28, 2008, 09:20 PM
The only advantage to the Kahr PM9 is comfort, and that it can be pocket carried (although some claim they can pocket carry a G26 or G27, not me).
The disadvantages (compared to G26):

- 7 rounds vs. 11. That's a huge disadvantage in a real life situation.
- 3" barrel vs. 3.5" (or 4" if you drop in a G19 barrel), which means you're giving up about 100-150 fps velocity.
- Less reliable overall. Glocks are designed with very loose tolerances and will even feed empty cases. (I've verified it).
- Not as robust a design from what I hear. Can't stand up to thousands of +P rounds.
- Not easy to customize. Few aftermarket parts etc.

Like the famous saying "Guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable." I'll take the G26 over the Kahr any day.

Calhoun
July 28, 2008, 09:23 PM
I had an excelent experience with KAHR's customer service. They fixed a normal wear and tear item, from a previous owner, for free. Shipped it back for free. It was extremely accurate and reliable. It was a poly frame, which was great to carry. You don't want to shoot a poly frame Kahr all day though. Even the "full" size frames (P9, K9) can be hidden easily with shorts and a t shirt.

JBP55
July 28, 2008, 10:14 PM
I own, carry, shoot, like both. Similar? They all go bang when I pull the trigger.

FourNineFoxtrot
July 29, 2008, 12:30 AM
Speaking, presumably, of compact/subcompact Glocks and Kahrs, I think they both perform very well. Glocks have the advantage of being legendarily hard to damage, but I find even the subcompacts blocky and, dare I say it, unwieldy. The Kahr MK9, however, I have found to be quite reliable and less bulky (although heavier; easily remedied by getting a PM9). Also, the Kahr is not just "wieldy" (if that's a word; the opposite of unwieldy), but rather elegant for a subcompact auto, particularly one of its relative ability.

The MK9... an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age

I've always wanted to say that.

anotherinkling
July 29, 2008, 12:46 AM
For concealability, go with Kahr. For capacity, go with Glock. I prefer the feel of the Kahr myself.

As far as reliability goes, put at least a couple hundred rounds of defensive ammo (HP) through any gun before you count on it. Both are very reliable guns if you find the ammo they like, though the Glock will likely be more tolerant of range fodder, cheap ball ammo.

One thing with the Kahrs, they have a pretty heavy recoil spring making it a bit tougher to rack the slide (not a huge problem though possibly and issue for smaller folks) and not completely reliable with underpowered ammo. They prefer the hotter stuff to consistently cycle...YMMV.

IdahoLT1
July 29, 2008, 01:42 AM
The only advantage to the Kahr PM9 is comfort, and that it can be pocket carried (although some claim they can pocket carry a G26 or G27, not me).
The disadvantages (compared to G26):

- 7 rounds vs. 11. That's a huge disadvantage in a real life situation.
- 3" barrel vs. 3.5" (or 4" if you drop in a G19 barrel), which means you're giving up about 100-150 fps velocity.
- Less reliable overall. Glocks are designed with very loose tolerances and will even feed empty cases. (I've verified it).
- Not as robust a design from what I hear. Can't stand up to thousands of +P rounds.
- Not easy to customize. Few aftermarket parts etc.

Like the famous saying "Guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable." I'll take the G26 over the Kahr any day.

The Kahr has more advantages than that. If you compare a CW9 to a G26, the Kahr is thinner, shorter, not as long and weighs less. It doesnt cost as much, MSRP is ~$100 cheaper for the CW9. The CW9 has a longer barrel @3.6". Even if it did have a shorter barrel, it would probably only lose 30-50fps with a 1/2 inch difference. The 2 biggest advantages, to the average buyer, the G26 has over the CW9 is the mag capacity and reliability. As far as reliability, ive seen and heard of Kahrs going over the 10K round mark w/out any malfunctions. So it all depends on how reliable someone wants it. The average person wanting a concealable weapon isnt going to put more than 3-5K rounds through the pistol in the time they own it. Not everyone is a gun enthusiast. They arent looking for a firearm thats "customizable". Just like the average american doesnt want a 400hp car.

As far as +P ammo, i shoot my Kahr with it. I went through ~300rds using Doubletap's +P 124gr ammo and it all fed and fired reliably. Since then, i keep it loaded with the same ammo but use medium powered reloads with FMJ bullets. Nobody is going to just shoot hot +P ammo through their gun. I also recall .40 cal Glocks having trouble with +P ammo.

gtmtnbiker98
July 29, 2008, 11:04 AM
If you want something easy to conceal, pick the Kahr. If you want something that will be reliable and durable, buy a Glock.

If you are a gambler, then by all means, Kahr is for you. I had the PM9, PM45, and the MK40 and of those three, the MK40 was the only reliable pistol of the three. However, the MK40 weighed a ton and I replaced it with a S&W M&P40c and haven't looked back (almost twice the capacity at a similar weight).

jocko
July 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
Guess I gambled and won, my PM9 and k9 have been flawless. Must be my lucky day. I love my M & P, don't own the compact model but great guns, just both entirely to big for pocket carry..

Gordon Fink
July 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
They are similar in that both are safe-action pistols.

Had I bought my Kahr first, I probably never would have gotten a Glock. Ammunition capacity doesn’t matter that much when you’re restricted to low-capacity magazines.

~G. Fink

stevereno1
July 29, 2008, 01:19 PM
Glocks Rock!!!

SsevenN
July 29, 2008, 01:25 PM
I vote Kahr. That Smooth, long trigger is hard to beat!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/SsevenN_photo/kahrPromo1.jpg

romeo212000
July 29, 2008, 01:27 PM
They are both great guns. Despite what some may say here, the Kahr is every bit as reliable as the Glock. Welcome to the forum and let me warn you in advance that any time you say which is better? Brand X or Glock, you are going to have a bunch of fanboys saying that the Glock is the do all end all pistol. Some say, "Do you see the police carrying brand X?" The fact is Glock is an excellent pistol, one of the best in fact. However, Glock also cuts huge breaks to the police departments around the country. Lowest bidder for the best gun gets the contract. Also as stated above, Kahr does not make a full size service pistol, therefore it is not possible for them to be carried as primary service weapons.

Now to continue answering your question, If you are going more for concealed carry go for the Kahr. It is an excellent pistol, and ideal for concealed carry due to its slim size. Glock makes a great gun andd I would not discourage you from getting one. Glocks can be concealed as well, but the Kahr is desigend for that purpose. So decide what you want it for and go from there.

jocko
July 29, 2008, 03:09 PM
romeo: +1 on all that.. we can argue this till the cows come home but the bottom line is they are both good guns. Choose what you want, I don't see any giant mistakes in choosing a glock over a kahr or vice versa. You should be happy with either one...

dscottw88
July 29, 2008, 03:30 PM
I prefer glocks hands down, because I like my guns to go band everytime I pull the trigger.

10/22plinker
July 29, 2008, 03:44 PM
Because you have to cock the slide when loading how would compare the strength required to pull back each slide

RockyMtnTactical
July 29, 2008, 03:45 PM
Glock is hands down more reliable in my experience.

Navy joe
July 29, 2008, 03:51 PM
all i know about kahr's service is they usually make an honest attempt at fixing anyone's issues from what i have read and talked about with kahr owners.

They do, and they get the chance to do it a lot. I carried a MK40 extensively, it had a premature slidelock issue which I fixed. Lots of Kahr .40s have premature slidelock issues, that;s why they keep messing with the spring design that tensions them down. Other than that the gun was reliable.

K40, not so much. I bought it unfired from a guy that had gotten it as a warranty replacement for a PM model. Locking area of the barrel was peening back within several hundred rounds. Premature slide lock as well. Kahr put a new barrel in, did not cure the premature slidelock, I cured that, tested it to be reliable, sold it.

I own 2 glocks currently, used to own 4, yes I broke one, yes it took 40K rounds in 1.5 years to do it. Way more reliable guns. Point of fact the broke Glock was running fine when I found it to be broke, frame rail recall deal.

tblt
July 29, 2008, 06:47 PM
If I had to pick a Glock or Kahr to protect my family or myself from many armed men,it would be a Glock.If I had other choices it would be neither of the two,I would go With a Cz 75 or a XD.Why because they too are very reliable and I shoot them better,No I'm not a Glock fan I just would pick Glock over Kahr,I do not own or ever have owned a Kahr,I have only held one and almost bought one until I started looking at there reviews from other gun owners.I don't want a gun that There is a 10-20 % chance I will have to send it to the factory at my expense after the first 6 months.

jocko
July 29, 2008, 07:24 PM
humm!! 10-20% chance, humm very interesting??? where did u dig those percentages up at???

10/22plinker
July 30, 2008, 10:44 AM
Don't XD's have the same safe action design as glock

burningsquirrels
July 30, 2008, 10:45 AM
yes.

10/22plinker
July 30, 2008, 10:46 AM
now to add to the fun glock, kahr, XD, or 1911.

10/22plinker
July 30, 2008, 10:47 AM
:cool:to answer my own question hail the almighty 1911

jocko
July 30, 2008, 11:03 AM
10/22: try sticking that 1911 in ur front pocket??????

10/22plinker
July 30, 2008, 02:57 PM
ummmmmm compact version???? Kimber makes one and theres another but the names evading me

jocko
July 30, 2008, 03:24 PM
yup, so does Para with their carry 9, I think it is even the smallest 1911 style out there to. Owned one, great gun, no way to pocket carry it. Don't care what name tag they put on it, It might be a compact compared to the big version 1911 but certainly no pocket gun.

10/22plinker
July 30, 2008, 03:27 PM
Wasn't there a law if you cant concealed carry you can just carry it on your belt w/ a holster

10/22plinker
July 30, 2008, 03:28 PM
or you wear a trench coat i win

IdahoLT1
July 30, 2008, 10:52 PM
Alot of states dont have open carry laws. Texas , Oklahoma, Florida, New York, Arkansas and South Carolina have either completly banned it or its highly restricted. California and illinois are rural open carry only and only Alaska, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, South Dakota, Kentucky and Virginia are the only states where you can open carry w/out a liscense or with most parts(including cities) being allowed. The rest fall inbetween and its either somewhat restricted are liscense required.

So, how important is concealed carry? Well considering almost 40% of the US population lives in states(the 5 states with the highest popultation have restricted open carry laws) where you cant open carry or cant open carry in cities(where danger is most likely), its pretty important.

Even in states where its legal to open carry anywhere, like Idaho for instance, you will still get bothered by people. We have alot of californians moving here and not all of them are even slightly familiar with firearms, so when they see someone carrying one in a store, they call the police. The police basically get a "man with a gun" dispatch, which will always put them on high alert and not in the best mood. I dont open carry in the city for this reason and this reason alone.

bharen
July 30, 2008, 11:16 PM
I've owned both. A Kahr CW9 and a number of Glocks, to include the G26.

The Kahr was the only pistol I've ever owned that I've sold in disgust. Two trips to the factory and a new barrel and slide and Kahr still couldn't make it work. Stovepipe jams every third round, like clockwork. Lousy customer service.

I had resisted the Glock 'perfection' spiel for years, but I needed a replacement for the Kahr. A friend said I really, really needed to check out the G26. I did and I have not regretted it. The G26 and every other Glock I've owned (three total) have been 100% reliable (yes, that is 100% - zero malfunctions from round #1). Say what you want about Glocks, but the 9mm versions are drop dead reliable and amazingly accurate.

To be fair to Kahr I had bought one of the early CW9s and I still consider their double action trigger to be the sweetest I've tried. Some said I just got a lemon, but reading the forum comments that were being posted around the time I bought my CW9 it was obvious Kahr was having some serious all-around quality, reliability and customer service issues. Hopefully by now they've gotten their act together...

gbran
July 30, 2008, 11:21 PM
I have both the G26 and the PM9. The Kahr is slimmer and is a pocket gun. The G26 has more capacity, but is still pretty small. I prefer the Glock.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/100_0145.jpg

tblt
July 31, 2008, 06:35 PM
I should have got a G26 but I saved some money and got a taurus mod. 85 for carry and now I want an auto.

PhillyGlocker
August 1, 2008, 08:34 PM
I carry Glock. The Kahrs may be thinner, but the G26 is a small handgun. I conceal it with ease. It practically disappears on my hip. For SD, I'm carrying nothing but a Glock. I don't have the same confidence in Kahr as I do a Glock.

10-Ring
August 1, 2008, 10:59 PM
Easy one -- GLOCK :D

deadhawg
August 1, 2008, 11:33 PM
I have both a Glock 30 and a Kahr PM9. They have both been equally reliable and more than accurate enough for their intended use. Both have the same manual of arms. My wife carries a Glock 26 and has no problem concealing it.

Glock plus: higher capacity, less expensive
Kahr plus: thinner

The Kahr, being thinner and smaller overall is easier to conceal, but nobody (that I know of) has ever noticed the Glock when I carry it in my C-TAC iwb.
Both are good, reliable guns. Which one is "Better" depends on what you want it for. For maximum concealability the Kahr is a little better.

But here's the standard advice: Don't buy a pistol on any internet recomendation. Shoot each pistol you are interested in before you decide, then pick the one that feels best to YOU, and that YOU shoot the best. Where your bullets end up is far more important than what gun they came out of.

Ron

TheWarhammer
August 2, 2008, 12:28 AM
The best thing you could do is rent both and try them out. I like Glocks, but they don't fit my hand as well. I have long palms and short fingers. I bought my K40 back in 1997, and it fits my hand like it was custom built just for me! I can operate all the controls (trigger, slide stop and mag release) without changing my grip, and it points VERY naturally for me. It truly feels like an extension of my hand. The Glock, on the other hand (no pun intended) just doesn't fit my hand or point as well for me.

Since buying it, I have lost count of how many rounds I've fired through it (thousands) and I have not had a single problem with it. Both Glocks and Kahrs are great guns. Get the one that fits and works the best for you.

IMO, my Kahr is WAY prettier than any glock!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/rlkeely/IMGP0988.jpg

PhillyGlocker
August 2, 2008, 04:35 PM
Exactly! Get the Glock.

blackcash88
August 2, 2008, 05:15 PM
TheWarhammer, where'd you get that barrel? I've never seen anyone selling after market barrels for Kahr.

texagun
August 2, 2008, 05:18 PM
Quote:

Exactly! Get the Glock.

Not as simple as it seems. Law enforcement agencies will most often go with whoever offers the lowest price....not necessarily the best gun. As the Marines are fond of saying, "Isn't it great going to war knowing you are using equipment from the lowest bidder?"

romeo212000
August 2, 2008, 06:51 PM
This has been covered at least twice in this thread already. Read the posts before jumping on as a fanboy.

blackcash88
August 2, 2008, 06:57 PM
So, who died and made you Mr. Moderator? :rolleyes:

Rustynuts
August 2, 2008, 07:06 PM
Didn't Glock become the defacto standard cause THEY GAVE THEM AWAY for free?

My MK40 kick a Glock IMO. Looks and feels better, well machined.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/familypics011-2.jpg

Plus my Kahr doesn't do this!
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/howaglockworks.gif

texagun
August 2, 2008, 07:16 PM
This has been covered at least twice in this thread already. Read the posts before jumping on as a fanboy.

Romeo: I have read the thread and saw your previous post on "fanboys" too. I am not a fanboy for either gun. I own both. I use a Kahr PM9 for deep concealment and use Glocks 19 and 30 for other concealed carry. Both are excellent guns. I was simply pointing out the obvious in reference to the post I quoted.

Is Romeo212000 a reference to your date of birth?:confused:

jocko
August 3, 2008, 12:00 PM
IMO the best thing for all to do is to BUY THE GUN YOU WANT, screw what I think or say. I love my kahrs, they go bang every time. I love my G19, it goes bang every time. Hell even my little lcp goes bang every time, all 3 great guns, all 3 serve a different purpose for me. I know what is in my front pocket 24/7..

blackcash88
August 3, 2008, 12:17 PM
PM9, right? ;)

Master of Arms
August 3, 2008, 01:42 PM
glock

10/22plinker
August 18, 2008, 03:06 PM
I've noticed two of the photos of Kahr are chambered in .40sw wouldn't 9mm work better due to Kahrs lack of weight

blackcash88
August 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
The metal ones are pretty hefty.

krs
August 18, 2008, 05:16 PM
I have a PM9 and a Glock 19.

They're different guns for different purposes. I bought the Kahr because the Glock won't go with any but my winter coat pocket.

Both of them shoot fine, and I'd call the quality of the Kahr to be as good as the Glock. It actually has a similar trigger and really feels like shooting a miniature of the Glock.

The Kahr is as new with only 50 or less firings, and I have it for sale.
The grip is made for someone with shorter palms or fingers than mine - to me it feels like holding a golf club. If it was a doublestack pistol with the consequent larger grip I'd never let it go.

tblt
August 18, 2008, 08:41 PM
Glock you won't have to send it back for repair

WayniacKT
August 18, 2008, 09:46 PM
Honestly, I wanted a reliable conceal carry weapon. Kahr CW9 fits that bill without fail. It is thin, has an awesome trigger and it more accurate than I am (and I'm not a bad shot).
I didn't want a summer carry and a winter carry, a fall carry and a spring carry. I wanted a reliable weapon I could always carry no matter how I'm dressed. My Kahr is my always weapon.
Glocks are fantastic pistols, no doubt. But to me, they are service guns. If you can carry open then sure Glock it up. I know you can conceal a Glock and many do, but for concealed, you cant beat a Kahr.
As for how many rounds you can carry; If I need more than my two 8 round mags, then I am not defending myself, i am in a combat situation and need to use my ammo to escape asap! Most of us citizens will never even have to use our guns for defense (thank the Lord) and those of us who will, will not typically be in a combat situation.
See my Kahr range report here http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=386277

Now, for home defense I have a Ruger P89 with several 15 round mags full of 147 gn Hornady ready to go along with my Browning A-5 shotgun. If you come into my house, you will be the one facing a combat situation. :eek:

I will admit, i do have a "chruch" gun. My Kel-Tec P32 goes to church with me since it is hard to have a larger gun with me then.:o

NavionPilot
August 18, 2008, 11:02 PM
This post is perfect timing for me.

I'm getting my CCW and looking for a personal protection weapon that is very concealable. The wife is NOT a fan of any firearms, so I don't want it to be something she has to see/deal with when I carry.

Went by the local range today to look at my options. First time I ever heard of Kahr. A decade and a half ago, I was all over the handgun market based on that, today I went looking for a Glock or Sig or Taurus. Then I heard about the Kahr. Got there too late to shoot either the Glock 26 or the CW9093...

So here I am:

- Need very concealable
- Not too expensive
- RELIABLE
- Not a competition weapon, just solid self defense

Thoughts?

IdahoLT1
August 18, 2008, 11:38 PM
My CW9 was $405 out the door after taxes, NIB. Our local Impact Guns had it for sale for ~$380. I have owned 2 Glocks before, a G19 and a G23C. Both cost me ~$540. Granted those are compact models, i know i cant conceal a sub compact Glock as well as i could a Kahr. I was never even an average shot with any Glock as i dont like the ergo's or the trigger. I never liked polymer firearms, but when i held that Kahr(i never knew about them till the dealer recommended it over a Glock for what i wanted), i knew it was for me. The trigger is very smooth, especially for a DAO firearm. The ergo's are close to a 1911's, and it just fit my hand perfectly.

deadhawg
August 19, 2008, 05:35 AM
"Better" depends on what you want it for.I have a Kahr PM9, a Glock 30 and a Glock 26. All have been completely reliable, all are more than accurate enough for their intended purposes. The Kahr is the most concealable, the G30 has the most firepower, and isn't really all that hard to conceal in a good holster. The G26 is a good compromise betwen the two.

All that said, I'm saving up for a Kahr P45 which will become my primary carry gun. Not much thicker than the PM9, thinner than the G26 with .45 power. Besides the slimness of the gun, a spare Kahr magazine is much thinner than a Glock magazine. So, 6+1+6 in a small, thin, light package in 45 ACP. It's extremely unlikely I will ever need more ammunition than that. Of course if I do, then my wife will also be shooting with her G26.

Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr or Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!