Proper cleaning for 442

PDA

MCassle
July 28, 2008, 06:13 AM
Howdy all, tried to use the search function but it wasn't working for me (blank pages)

Going to pick up a 442 this afternoon. Been doing much reading/research on this revolver, but one thing I don't see much is cleaning procedures and practices by owners.

What do other blued-revolver owners use to clean there wheel guns?

I want to make sure I don't mess up early, and practice proper & good cleaning habits.

Thanks,

Matt

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper cleaning for 442" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
July 28, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hoppes #9 and CLP should work fine. M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner is another good one that is non-toxic. Avoid anything caustic or abrasive.

cpirtle
July 28, 2008, 01:15 PM
+1 what strat81 said.

I try to avoid aerosol cleaners and have had first hand bad experience with Gun Scrubber on a Beretta Stampede. Beretta (Uberti) uses a similar coating to cover their fake case hardening to what S&W uses on their aluminum guns.

9mmepiphany
July 28, 2008, 06:58 PM
i've always used Hoppes #9 on my wheelguns too.

just swab out the barrel, and cylinder window on the frame. scrub out the chambers with a brass brush and clean under the cylinder star with a nylon toothbrush.

do not spray stuff into the workings

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper cleaning for 442" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!