'63 I.A.B. Sharps

PDA

WV SCROUNGER
July 28, 2008, 10:20 AM
I have a sharps '63 Buisness rifle...does anyone know for sure if the gas seal sleeve is supposed to move in this model? I have read some posts that the sleeve is fixed and Does Not move....
from what I gather....the originals had gas plates but No sleeves ....am I correct? I.A.B. states that they make thier copies exactly as the originals...
ANYBODY KNOW FOR SURE??? I sure aint no gunsmith

If you enjoyed reading about "'63 I.A.B. Sharps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WV SCROUNGER
July 30, 2008, 06:43 PM
aint there any IAB Sharps Shooters in the House???:uhoh:

Pops
July 31, 2008, 01:12 AM
I understand the sleeves are supposed to be removeable..
Mine won't..
I got my POS IAB business rifle used and obviously the previous owners had never removed/cleaned it..
I ordered the sleeve removal tool from Dixie and it didn't do any good. Even after soaking in KROIL for 4 days.
I don't know for sure and that is why I was hesitant to give my 2 cents.
Is your rifle new or used ?
If used, have you checked your lock internals for wear yet ??
Check especially the full cock notch on the tumbler..
Good luck

Pops

WV SCROUNGER
July 31, 2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reply POPS....I have been informed that guns produce from 2000 till present have what is called a "FIXED SLEEVE" it is there and it is not supposed to move,,,,,,,
My gun was received as used but the previous owner said he bough it new and only fired 5 rounds with it.... and then gave it a superb cleaning....
well,I removed the block gas plate and ther was a small amout of BP residue there... outside of the block was clean and the bore was clean.......

The gent that informed me about the Fixed sleeve also owns A Farmingdale,,,,,so I would assume hi is somewhat knowledgeable.....
and he said he had wished he had never sold his I.A.B,,,,
WHEN i ASKED HIM WHY??? he said it is a good sharps for the money...

Pops
July 31, 2008, 07:25 PM
Hope I was some help, anyway.
My IAB is a "94..Lord only knows how many rounds been thru it.
But the tumbler was sure enough worn out...

I would assume He is knowledgable also..I sure as heck ain't.. just a newbie with a Sharps..

Hope you got a good one,..as with anything.. there's good'uns an' there's lemons..

Regards,
Pops

sharps59
July 31, 2008, 07:43 PM
think I ansewered this for you on other boards also sent you a few pms. don't know if they ever got thru or not. So i let it go here.
have a shiloh and a armisport the armi sport took a lot of work just to get it to fire.
but on another note check you serial # w/ the mfg they can tell you the year it was made then you will know if it is fixed or not for sure.
I will say the O-ring mod to the gas check is a good idea.

WV SCROUNGER
August 1, 2008, 11:55 PM
Sharps 59.....I dont see a serial number on the rifle....is it under the forearm?
this is the first BP gun I ever oened thst sthe serial # is not visible....
I have contacted I.A.B. 2 WEEKS AGO about this problem....still no answer..
oH...Thanks for your reply!

WV SCROUNGER....

sharps59
August 2, 2008, 02:02 PM
not sure were it is on the IAB I sold it awhile back had that and an armi soprt my son shot the IAB but liked a cs richmond better so we sold it I now have the armi sport and a Shiloh. the Armi sport is on the top of the receicer strap.

Pops
August 2, 2008, 08:15 PM
My IAB serial number is on the top receiver strap also..
btw..the year code slould be under the forearm..left side..mine is.

Pops

WV SCROUNGER
August 9, 2008, 09:31 AM
I removed the forearm.....no date code....only a serial 53,xxx. This leads me to thnk it is an early rifle which should have a sliding sleeve....
. I have tried everything and cant get the sleeve to budge....
I have contacted the I.A.B. COMPANY by email but no response in 3 weeks...
I think I will call them....

bigbadgun
August 9, 2008, 09:46 AM
I have to ask what is a good price for a sharps rifle been wanting one for a long time.

DavidVanVorous
August 9, 2008, 03:21 PM
I have to ask what is a good price for a sharps rifle been wanting one for a long time.

Best price new I ran into while I was shopping around was in the $1200 range in the type, caliber and with the features I wanted, that was roughly 2 yrs ago...

D.

If you enjoyed reading about "'63 I.A.B. Sharps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!