Tell me about the S&W model 327

PDA

Texasred
July 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
I have been looking at these but am kind of uninformed on the scandium frame that these guns use. I really don't know anything about scandium other than it is rare, light and expensive.

So, should I buy one of these can I expect to shoot this gun on a regular basis?

Can it take full power loads like a Ruger. I have a GP -100 that I was wondering if it can share ammo with?

Anything else on this gun that I should know about? Maybe some first hand experience or recalls or something?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about the S&W model 327" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
20nickels
July 29, 2008, 02:36 PM
Bump. Fine guns by most accounts I've read. You should be able to interchange ammo with no problems, but do to the weight (Scandium is scary lightweight) use the Ruger for practice and 327 for carry.
The lock whiners should be along soon. Sure it's an abomination, but it's nothing a drop of loctite won't fix.

pinkymingeo
July 29, 2008, 02:49 PM
I don't have a 327, but I do have five scandium-framed guns that I shoot on a regular basis. The jury won't be in for many years, but I won't be surprised by a verdict that the scandium frames hold up better than steel. All of mine have multi-K rounds through them but seem like new.

Technosavant
July 29, 2008, 03:27 PM
I have a 327 TRR8. The scandium in the frame is alloyed with aluminum; there's really only a very tiny amount of Sc in there- it just doesn't need much to stiffen it up significantly. You can fire full power .357 loads in it- it may not be as comfy to do that as your GP100 due to the lighter weight, but the size of the N frame keeps it controllable. You don't say if you're looking at the 2" snub or the 5" M&P R8/TRR8 models, but I imagine the snub would be a bit more of a handful at the range.

Texasred
July 29, 2008, 08:33 PM
5" model as general all purpose gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about the S&W model 327" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!