Just want to share a cool link about stoping power


PDA






Springfield_1911SS
July 30, 2008, 07:00 PM
I'm sure alot of people here have seen this already but there are lots of people asking about what caliber/type of ammo for "one shot one kill".

http://handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp

This is a collection of data from different shootings, it lets you compare different types of ammo for different calibers and bullet weights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just want to share a cool link about stoping power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chetth
July 30, 2008, 07:16 PM
What that tells me is;

IF you want a one shot stop: Use a Rifle.

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 30, 2008, 07:18 PM
If you want a one shot stop, too bad. There's no such thing a a guaranteed one shot stop.

kentucky_Dave
July 30, 2008, 07:24 PM
interesting link....thanks

kentucky bucky
July 30, 2008, 08:02 PM
I noticed that the lighter and faster loads seem to do better in many of the calibers of hand guns. HP and Hydo shock makes a difference too!

The Swede
July 30, 2008, 08:20 PM
Looks like the AR has a good chance of a 1 shot stop.

RonE
July 30, 2008, 08:38 PM
It looks like some good information but I wonder about editing and other information not listed.

For example: .45 acp 230 gr ball ammuntion has about a 60% one shot kill rate. Now, does that mean that the other 40% of the time, it took more than one shot? Did the dead guy in the 40% catagory (two or more shots) have one shot that would have killed but he is in the catagory because he was "double tapped" into that catagory?

The information in the charts is interesting but I would like to know the methods used to arrive at the information. If a person dies after a single shot three days later in the hospital, is it still considered a one shot stop?

I do not disagree or doubt the data presented, just want to understand it. Thanks for posting it.

orionengnr
July 30, 2008, 09:20 PM
5...
4...
3...
2...
1...... :rolleyes:

un_lucky
July 30, 2008, 09:29 PM
please note there is a difference between a one shot stop and a kill.

crushbup
July 30, 2008, 10:23 PM
There's no such thing a a guaranteed one shot stop.

http://www.skyhawks.forces.gc.ca/lf/Images/2_0/40.jpg
You were saying?

Jimmy Dean
July 30, 2008, 10:28 PM
however they consider it, I like the ammo I use. :) 230gr. .45ACP, gold dots and hydro shocks....honestly I feel that the penetration in the hydro-shock is too much though.

Wes Janson
July 31, 2008, 12:26 AM
Haven't Sanow and Marshall's findings been more or less effectively discredited as based on selective data?

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 31, 2008, 01:08 AM
You were saying? There are cases of soldiers getting hit with RPGs and surviving, and being able to fight as well. There was one incident where a solider in Iraq was hit in the helmet by a dud RPG round as was able to return fire.

It's just not 100% guaranteed. Nothing short of a nuclear blast is.

Nolo
July 31, 2008, 01:19 AM
One thing you must remember about these statistics (I'm assuming they were taken from combat, as I seriously doubt they'd experiment on actual human beings) is that the rifle calibers, by virtue of being fired from a rifle, are more accurate. More accuracy=better shot placement. Better shot placement=higher chance of 1-shot stops.
I'm not saying the data is worthless, as it surely isn't, but there are factors that need to be considered.
What I'd term a true 1-shot stop is a shot to the torso hitting the non-vitals (heart and head). I think the data would be significantly refined if they excluded all head and heart shots.
Interesting link, all told.

Apple a Day
July 31, 2008, 08:09 AM
They don't list 155mm. Sissies!

crushbup
July 31, 2008, 08:55 AM
There are cases of soldiers getting hit with RPGs and surviving, and being able to fight as well. There was one incident where a solider in Iraq was hit in the helmet by a dud RPG round as was able to return fire.

It's just not 100% guaranteed. Nothing short of a nuclear blast is.

That seems quite close to 100% to me. There are several ways it pans out:
a) Guy gets hit by Carl-Gustav center of mass, dies
b) Rocket is a squib load, gives him a scare and he runs away, soiling his BDUs
c) Rocket does not penetrate his chest, but causes enough trauma to disrupt his heart
d) A choir of angels comes down, intercepts the rocket, and the BG flies away on his pterodactyl.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just want to share a cool link about stoping power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!