Some blackpowder velocity tests

PDA

Pulp
July 30, 2008, 11:27 PM
I went out Sat. AM with the intention of testing my homemade powder against Goex FFFg, Pyro RS and P, 777FFFg. Sorta crashed and burned, but here's what I got.

.44-40 loaded with 2.5cc of homemade, 200 grain bullet, 4.75 inch barrel averaged 801fps. This is about 50fps better than a 2.2cc load of Goex FFg. This batch of powder did very well. A previous batch averaged about 200fps out of a rifle!!:barf: I'm milling the powder a LOT longer than previously, and I've improved my wetting, granulating and separating a bunch.

Then I went to my Navy Knock-off: 2.2cc dipper of powder, round ball.

Homemade 946 average
Goex FFFg 942 average

I loaded up some Pyro P, and the first shot read 1104, then my chrono gave up the ghost, I kept getting "errr2" after that. So I didn't get to test the other powders. I figger the eyes need cleaning, and I hope that's all that's wrong. And I'm kind of suspicious about that 1104. Historically, Pyro P has always given me more velocity that Goex, but that seems extreme.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some blackpowder velocity tests" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
July 30, 2008, 11:30 PM
WHAT no video. hahahaha

just kidding, I guess im too used to seeing your name and looking for a video. Good info on your post

Pulp
July 30, 2008, 11:42 PM
scrat, I took an old VCR camcorder that has a high speed shutter, but the breaker at the well pump has gone bad. No power. Maybe next time.

Voodoochile
July 31, 2008, 05:16 AM
Well at least this batch seems very similar to what Goex puts out. :)

I would take it that this is a .36 Navy "just asking for reference."

Pulp
July 31, 2008, 07:27 AM
No, it's .44 caliber. Supposedly a '51 Navy, but I call it the Navy KnockOff.

Voodoochile
July 31, 2008, 08:04 AM
OK, I'm a little off on the conversion of CC to grains, can you help me out there.

What is the grain ammount for cubic centimeter?

Curator
July 31, 2008, 09:59 AM
Pulp,

When shooting black powder over a chronograph it is always a good idea to put glass or plastic over the "eyes". Unburned and burned powder granuals end up inside the sensors and screw things up. Not to mention this crud being corrosive and hygroscopic. I tape small "windows" of lexan over my sensors whenever I test black powder loads or loads using any kind of "filler". This also prevents false readings. (mostly) Watch out for wads as well, as they can damage your chronograph. I "armored" the front end of my Chrony with a piece of 1/4" lexan after I dented it deeply with a felt wad from 10 feet.

Pulp
July 31, 2008, 11:14 AM
Voodoo, a cc of Goex will weigh approx 15 grains. More or less depending on how much it is packed or has settled.
The Lee dipper set is a very handy tool to have at your reloading table. One of the best $10.00 I've ever spent.

Voodoochile
July 31, 2008, 11:58 AM
Ah so approximately 32gr. of FFFG then.

That's pretty good velocity then from that.. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Some blackpowder velocity tests" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!