Sticks and stones- "the agreeable recreation of fighting"

PDA

Fred Fuller
July 31, 2008, 06:36 AM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2005/is_1_33/ai_56027317

The link above is to a long (l o n g) and scholarly sort of article, from a sociological viewpoint, and has several aspects which might prove interesting to us. The insight into the history and evolution of common law is fascinating. The recreational nature of even large scale violence in particular cultures is telling. And the use of common weapons- sticks and stones- is illustrative, as is the attitude taken toward the use of knives and other implements.

The article is based on surviving court records covering 1,932 homicides reported by the Irish police from 1866 to 1892, and is an interesting peek back into history- uncovering the roots of some of the attitudes which persist here and now.

If you are inclined to enjoy such things, read on...

lpl

If you enjoyed reading about "Sticks and stones- "the agreeable recreation of fighting"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
August 1, 2008, 05:27 PM
I fight for a hobby with swords axes and knives I understand it but I train so that is ok I suppose.

wheelgunslinger
August 2, 2008, 08:43 PM
what a fascinating article.
Thanks for posting it Lee.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sticks and stones- "the agreeable recreation of fighting"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!