Duplicates...because it's that good

PDA

ZeSpectre
July 31, 2008, 08:27 AM
Earlier I started a thread on "Pairs", namely the idea of having a pistol and rifle/carbine in the same caliber. Now let's talk about a different notion.

What firearm do you like so much that you'd buy at least one -IDENTICAL- duplicate? I'm not talking about making a collection of various models, barrel lengths, and other variations by the same company, I'm talking about buying two (or more) of the exact same thing because you like it so much just as it is.

For me it's really a pretty short list.

SIG 229 (no rail)
CZ-75B (.40 S&W, Satin Nickel finish)
Ruger Security Six (Stainless, 4" barrel)
Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (.357 Magnum/9mm)
Rossi Puma '92 levergun (.357 Magnum/.38 Special)

If you enjoyed reading about "Duplicates...because it's that good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
July 31, 2008, 08:40 AM
I am famous for having two or more of the same gun. Mostly I have slight variations (like one blued and one in nickel) but I have a few that are exact matches like the Third Model 44 Specials pictured.

http://www.fototime.com/293CC2D4537F03E/standard.jpg

And these 1950 44 Specials.

http://www.fototime.com/AAE73236DB076DF/standard.jpg

And these M&Ps.

http://www.fototime.com/C4C71A97C8B108C/standard.jpg

kevindsingleton
July 31, 2008, 08:51 AM
Ruger MkII or IIIs. You just can't have too many!

Drgong
July 31, 2008, 08:53 AM
I am tempted to get a CZ 550 with Iron sights to match my CZ 550 american (both in 6.5 x 55 swede)

qwert65
July 31, 2008, 09:03 AM
I want another Win 94 in 30-30 ( though mostly bc the one i have is from 1950)
I would like another blackhawk in 45/45acp

I WILL eventually get another springfeild GI

dewage83
July 31, 2008, 09:46 AM
Personally Its my yugo SKS, I would be quick to buy another to give the first one some rest.

Eleven Mike
July 31, 2008, 09:55 AM
ARs should always be bought in pairs, in case of malfunctions. Actually, three or more is recommended. :neener:

doc2rn
July 31, 2008, 09:57 AM
I have a Ruger standard and a MKII and MKIII to go with it. I would love to get an identical S&W mod 10-4 or FNP-9.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 31, 2008, 10:07 AM
I could see having an identical duplicate/backup to your main self-defense carbine, like an AR or something. If it breaks, you want to be back in action immediately if your life is on the line, while you have time to fix rifle #1. Any other purpose, I just can't see it, other than as a collector of consecutive serial number pairs or some such.

I like my backup hunting rifles to be a slightly different variety than the main rifle I'm using - variety is the spice of life. Usually I'll hunt with a pretty nice rifle, then leave an economy backup rifle/scope combo (like a Rossi single shot or NEF Handi, with an Aetec or Prostaff or iron sights) in the pickup so that if my camp gets raided while I'm in the field, no big loss. But you want the exact same ergo/manual of arms for a true fighting rifle.

waterhouse
July 31, 2008, 10:10 AM
I could see have an identical duplicate/backup to your main self-defense carbine

I think it applies to your main CCW as well. That's why I have a pair of P7s. If one breaks, or for any other reason is unavailable, I just drop its twin in the holster.

I also have identical Ithaca 37s, because I loved the one I had and got nervous when they went out of business a few years ago, so when I found another one for cheap I snatched it up.

musher
July 31, 2008, 10:21 AM
I think it applies to your main CCW

I agree with this as well. I've got 2 copies of my primary carry rig, same gun, sights, holster, etc.

ctdonath
July 31, 2008, 11:14 AM
Want two identical (unto consecutive serial #s) suppressed Glock 19s with night sights, one for me & one for my wife - partly for compatability and familiarity, and partly to impart a sense of unity. These would be primarily for carry (yes, unsuppressed) but with the option of quiet (once you use a can, it's just the right thing to do).

Walkalong
July 31, 2008, 11:27 AM
Guns I like enough to buy 2 or more of.

Any barrel length 1911s.

I have more than two 5" 1911's. (Who doesn't? :D)

Pythons, although I have only one. Recently got one. Man they are sweet. I understand the draw to them now. Too bad they are sky high. :)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 31, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think it applies to your main CCW as well.

Oops, yep, I agree - forgot about that.

big_bang
July 31, 2008, 12:11 PM
I have an identical pair of Ruger Bisley .45 Vaqueros and a custom holster for em. I got em for Cowboy shooting, but I don't really do that anymore.

OFT
July 31, 2008, 05:25 PM
I have several S&W M&Ps of slightly different configurations. I also have nine 1911s &1911A1s. I think that I can also scrape up seven or eight M98 Mausers too.

bruss01
July 31, 2008, 07:19 PM
I have an exact duplicate of the pistol I take to pistol classes. If Unit Number One comes down with a glitch, I can immediately switch over to Unit Number Two. There is a lot riding on a pistol class, hundereds of dollars, my time, travel, sometimes lodging, and the fact that the class won't be offered again until next year. I feel that having a "hot spare" is good insurance to protect my training investment. Also, I know that one day, after many many range sessions and classes, my pistol will wear out. By that time, it's possible they will not be made anymore. I'd like to be able to stick with what works for me. A duplicate of my old friend will ensure many more years of happy shooting.

Nolo
July 31, 2008, 07:24 PM
Two Glock 18s.
Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1RvTJBdRuA

Nate C.
July 31, 2008, 07:43 PM
Don't most Cowboy Action Shooters have a brace of six-guns?

.38 Special
July 31, 2008, 08:24 PM
SaxonPig -- as a fellow .44 Special enthusiast, I have to say that's one of the best posts I've ever seen.

bnkrazy
July 31, 2008, 08:35 PM
I'd get a matching 239 to go with my wife's in the blink of an eye. I love that gun.

22-rimfire
July 31, 2008, 09:20 PM
I don't know if this qualifies but I have more than a couple matching pairs of Colt Diamondback 22's in various barrel lengths; that's barrel length, finish, caliber, etc. It is my all time favorite handgun. The same applies to other Colt 22 revolvers. If one is good enough, why not two or three or four?

Flash!
July 31, 2008, 09:31 PM
the only guns I have more than one of are the cheap ones....

I have 2 russian makarovs.....the reason is price..... I bought a shooter when they were in the $100 range.....when the price had jumped to over $150 for the same gun, I stumbled across one for $119 and jumped on it. one for shooting, one for investment...

the same with my sks's..... I have 4 different variations, bought one shooter for $69, and as the prices went up, I bought up 3 more because they were bargains compared to the pricing trends....

SapperMapper
July 31, 2008, 10:33 PM
I don't have doubles yet, for budget reasons.

I could see me owning a nice set of matched 1911s - His and Hers models, if you will, even though my wife doesn't care for pistols all the much.

Dark_Harvest
July 31, 2008, 11:06 PM
if i could, i'd double my G19 & my S&W 642...

Send cash! :what:

Juna
July 31, 2008, 11:29 PM
Easily would double my CZ 75 BD without a second thought.

Thernlund
July 31, 2008, 11:37 PM
I don't have any dups. But if the price was right, I'd buy just about any gun I already had just as fast as if I didn't have it.

For me, the fact that I may already have one rarely factors. ;)

-T.

If you enjoyed reading about "Duplicates...because it's that good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!