Seeking advice on Tasers for a friend

PDA

JohnMcD348
July 31, 2008, 03:37 PM
I have a female friend who is deathly afraid of firearms but is interested in possibly obtaining a taser for personal protection. We live in Florida and as far as I know, they are not illegal in any manner but I really don't know alot about them other than what I was trained in for a limited order while in the military about 10 years ago.

Are there any recommendations for brand/type also are ther any websites tha might provide more information that I can use in helping her decide what she needs and can use effectively.

She's an averaged sized 54 year old lady in good physical health that can take care of herself if it comes down to it. She's just absolutely against the idea of owning a firearm due to her daughter living with her with a small child and having an asult son who she cares for who suffers from a traumatic brain injury that can at times impair his judgement and ability. She feels she would have to secure it to a point that it would be totally useless if she were to ever need it.

Thanks ahead for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Seeking advice on Tasers for a friend" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
July 31, 2008, 03:40 PM
John, Taser is a brand name. In my experience, they are effective at taking even a very determined person down (http://derekzeanah.com/john/slides/DSCF1128.jpg), but that person may get right back up (http://derekzeanah.com/john/slides/DSCF1129.jpg).

And they hurt like hell to pull out (http://derekzeanah.com/john/slides/DSCF1131.jpg).

If you mean "stun gun", i.e., contact with electricity-bearing probes, that's a different thing.

John

JohnMcD348
July 31, 2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, I did say Taser but I was should have used a little more generic terminology. She's looking for something hand held that can put someone on the ground via electrical stiumulation. I guess the Taser being more of a Projectile fired device, I don't think we civilians can actually own them.

I guess, just looking more at the close in zapper type stun devices.

I know a girl I grew up with who used one quite effectively while working for the UN years ago in New York. She carried one and a guy tried to snatch her purse. She responded by a quick hit with her stun gun and while waiting for NYPD to arrive, she pulled the attackers pants down and procedded to periodically stun him in the groin whenever he started to move. This was maybe 20 years ago now and in the dead of winter on a NY city street.

Funny story, being a guy, I almost felt sorry for the attacker, but being a true justice seeker, I had to buy her a beer after she came home.

gb6491
July 31, 2008, 04:20 PM
Taser has introduced a new consumer version, the C2 (http://www.taser.com/products/consumers/Pages/C2.aspx). It's sells in the $300-$400 price range which is quite a significant reduction in price from their previous (and still available) consumer model the X26C (http://www.taser.com/products/consumers/Pages/TASERX26C.aspx).
I watched a demonstration and it is quite effective. It can be used as a contact stun gun as well (with or without the cartridge). The demo pointed out that the stun sequence last about 30 seconds and suggest you could just abandon the device and make your escape during that time. To that end, Taser offers that:
"When a TASER C2 personal protection device is used in self-defense, it can be deployed and left behind providing the user an automatic window of opportunity to get to safety and call law enforcement. Send us a copy of the police report documenting the incident and we will replace your TASER device free of charge."
To make it more appealing to the gun wary, it looks more like a fancy flashlight than a projectile weapon. I think it is an excellent product.
Regards,
Greg

JShirley
July 31, 2008, 04:25 PM
John,

There's a LOT of variance among these devices. I would take Greg's suggestion if you have the funds. The Taser has almost no documented failures, while "stun guns" may work, or may just annoy an attacker.

John

hso
July 31, 2008, 04:38 PM
I've seen a stun gun do it's job and I have seen one taken away and used as a fist load after to beat it's owner.

Stick with the commercial version of the Taser.

TimboKhan
July 31, 2008, 05:54 PM
I personally think that stun guns are the biggest waste of money around. Actually, I will go one further and say that I think it is almost criminal how over-hyped they are. I very honestly would rather use rubber nunchucks (or, for you purists, nunchaku) than a stun-gun to defend myself. I HATE getting shocked, and even I have been able to withstand, with absolutely no loss of function, hits from many different stunguns. Those craptastic little pen-style stunners are so ineffectual that my buddy and I bought them and used them as punishment for wrong answers when we played trivia. Useless.

Tasers seem to be and are a much better alternative, at least in my opinion.

JohnMcD348
July 31, 2008, 05:58 PM
I showed my friend the Taser C2 model and I think she is interested in it "It's Cute..."

Now I just need to ee if there are any retailers around the area.

If you enjoyed reading about "Seeking advice on Tasers for a friend" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!