SIG 1911 Would you buy one???

PDA

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 06:39 PM
Well I got to thinking like I always do and started to wonder just how many people would buy one of the Sig Sauer GSR1911's and it doesn't matter if it's compact or not it still the GSR1911.

So would you or would you NOT??? Oh and please don't forget to back up your answer (preferable) (I.e. why would you? why would you not?)

I know that GSR stands for Granite Series Rail, but it's also know as the Granite Series Revolution, for those that aren't made with rails.

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG 1911 Would you buy one???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xx7grant7x
July 31, 2008, 06:42 PM
it's a sig, why not?

Psywarrior13
July 31, 2008, 06:43 PM
it's a sig, why not?

+1 here

IZinterrogator
July 31, 2008, 06:44 PM
Nope. The funky slide shape probably makes holster shopping difficult for those of us who like tightly molded leather. Plus I have one railed 1911 that I never use anymore, one railed 1911 that is a commemorative model with my Iraq unit and OIF 06-08 on it, and one railed 1911 that is my "Oh, if only they would let me take my own gun to war" pistol. I don't need any more railed 1911s.

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 06:46 PM
They are not all railed 1911's. As for the tight leather holster "BLACKHAWK" my friend. I appreciate the fact that you at least gave your reasoning though. and HOOAH/OORAH!!! to you making it back my friend. I've been out there too.

Dobe
July 31, 2008, 06:51 PM
When it comes to 1911's, I just prefer an internal extractor. I know that may not be practical, but I am biased. At least I admit it.

BlindJustice
July 31, 2008, 06:52 PM
What's the GSR prefix stand for?

R-

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 06:54 PM
GSR Does stand for Granite Series Rail, or Granite Seires Revolution For those that aren't made with rails. I can prove to you that they are not all made with picatinny rails. mine isn't and it's a GSR1911C3 and the (4) right outside my office have no rails

rduckwor
July 31, 2008, 06:55 PM
I did and I'm glad. Railed will fit a Blackhawk Serpa as well.

RMD

LSCurrier
July 31, 2008, 07:02 PM
There are so many other 1911's that I would like to have that I don't see myself ever buying an ugly Sig1911.

I know many will say its about function and not looks, but I consider both. Also, I don't like handguns with rails.

Luke

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 07:41 PM
Delete Please

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 08:04 PM
oops it only showed one

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 08:14 PM

here's the first batch with some do and some don't

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 08:28 PM

BlindJustice
July 31, 2008, 08:30 PM
Best feature I like on the Sig is the material used for the
internal parts - not MIM.

but I've got a 1911 - I would like a Sig P239 for CCW.

R-

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 08:31 PM

And there you have it all the ones that I can post and SOME of them Have rails and SOME DO NOT have rails.

possum
July 31, 2008, 08:36 PM
sigs are nice guns, and i am sure that there 1911's are fine, but when there is sa avaliable, i am gonna go that route everytime, but i would own one if i was given one, and i really like the c3 model if i was going to buy one that is the model that i woudl get.

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 08:57 PM
You would love the crap outta the C3 possum, I wish you lived up near me I'd take you to the range and let you fire out a whole box of shells just for the S&G

RungSat65
July 31, 2008, 09:39 PM
I have one and love it. Of course my other 1911's are all jealous of each other any way, 2 Randalls, 2 Colts, and even a Taurus, and oh yea an old Remmington Rand. It's an addiction.:D

.cheese.
July 31, 2008, 09:40 PM
If they make it in .40 SW, yes I'd get one.

Lonestar49
July 31, 2008, 09:59 PM

Nope, because the one I would have is not Calif (BS) legal.. sigh

Ls

HM2PAC
July 31, 2008, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't.

The slide is what breaks the deal for me. Personally, I like the 1911 because it is thin. Adding width to the slide....I just don't get it.

Another thing is that the GSR series has had a few problems with timing. Broken barrel links aren't for me. Knowing Sig, I'm sure they will have that problem straightened out sooner or later.

Poor East Texan
July 31, 2008, 10:42 PM
I don't reckon I'd want one bad enough to try to afford it (which ain't all that likely!)

colt1903
July 31, 2008, 10:58 PM
Did I hear someone say C3
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/colt1903/002.jpg

420Stainless
July 31, 2008, 11:05 PM
No. Its an illogical brand loyalty thing. I own a 229 and like it plenty, but I love my Colt 1911 variations.

jbot
July 31, 2008, 11:18 PM
i would.... cause mine is (hopefully) going to arrive tomorrow.

USMCDK
July 31, 2008, 11:25 PM
Nope, because the one I would have is not Calif (BS) legal.. sigh

Lonestar please explain???

Did I hear someone say C3

Colt that is such an awesome picture, where'd you get it??? I love the look of this weapon.

The slide is what breaks the deal for me. Personally, I like the 1911 because it is thin. Adding width to the slide....I just don't get it.

Please explain, how much width are you talking more than let's say a Mil-Spec 1911A1??? Mine is thinner than that of my H&K USP45 and that is bulky, this 1911 though it has some added curves and corners, isn't really all that wide. I'm not saying that you are wrong I am just curious and would like to inquire.

I did say it was preferable to give reason behind your poll choices and you have so done that with your post and I thank you for that. I hope you don't get me wrong... I am just trying to fully understand, you know what I mean??? Thanks once again.

The Lone Haranguer
August 1, 2008, 12:03 AM
I had a Revolution Carry (purchased in early 2007), an equivalent in size and weight to the Colt Combat Commander. I am sorry to have to say this, but the best thing I can say about the SIG 1911 is that SIG has good customer service and will pay the freight when the gun malfunctions or breaks. :rolleyes: After the third repair they even gave me a new one. :) But then the replacement gun broke. :banghead: Although this one performed quite satisfactorily (but not with the factory magazines; I had to use Wilsons) after the repair, it just had too much "baggage" and I sold it.

It was attractive with a flat grey stainless finish, nicely fitted and finished externally, very accurate (when I was not clearing stoppages), balanced and pointed perfectly, had a nice trigger pull, and had many "custom" features including a checkered frontstrap. Surprisingly but pleasantly, it lacked one custom feature: a full length recoil spring guide rod. It used a standard guide and plug and stripped easily with my fingers. :) The slide shape does make it a very tight fit in some holsters, as mentioned, and it did not fit at all in some. Had it been reliable, I would not have minded getting a custom holster for it.

Moccw
August 1, 2008, 12:03 AM
I bought one a few months back, quickly became my favorite shooter, accurate as can be, I love it. No complaints here..

Eightball
August 1, 2008, 12:38 AM
If they were about $100~$150 cheaper in my area, one would be my next 1911.

Until that point, the roughly same amount of money will get sunk into a nice S&W snubby.

Meowhead
August 1, 2008, 12:41 AM
The Sig 1911 has always struck me as the SUV of the gun world. Remember when the whole big SUV trend was at its peak and every car maker just had to get one on the market because it'd sell like hotcakes? Even Porsche got in on the act.

Same here with Sig. Someone said hey, 1911s are really popular. Let us take a radical departure from the sort of thing we've been building for years and make the ugliest damn 1911 that's ever seen the light of day!

And it was done.

SuperNaut
August 1, 2008, 12:46 AM
Lots of really good 1911's in the same price range.

R12GS
August 1, 2008, 05:26 AM
Absolutely. They are the best value for the money 1911 currently made.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/Pictures016.jpg

ugaarguy
August 1, 2008, 05:40 AM
Absolutely not. Had one that wouldn't even feed ball. Outside of the reliability issues the slide has a squared top rather than rounded like a traditional 1911 style pistol. This extra slide material means increased weight, and it makes holsters harder to find. I'm also still not sold on external extractors on 1911s. If you're okay with an external extractor the S&W 1911s are a better bet from what I've seen. There are also plenty of Colts, Kimbers, and Springfields in that price range as well.

HM2PAC
August 1, 2008, 08:13 AM
USMCDK:Please explain, how much width are you talking more than let's say a Mil-Spec 1911A1??? Mine is thinner than that of my H&K USP45 and that is bulky, this 1911 though it has some added curves and corners, isn't really all that wide. I'm not saying that you are wrong I am just curious and would like to inquire.

I did say it was preferable to give reason behind your poll choices and you have so done that with your post and I thank you for that. I hope you don't get me wrong... I am just trying to fully understand, you know what I mean??? Thanks once again.

Simply stated, it is wider than any other 1911 out there. I like the 1911 for it's narrow slab sided profile.

This is my preference.

rduckwor
August 1, 2008, 10:13 AM
The Sig 1911 has always struck me as the SUV of the gun world. Remember when the whole big SUV trend was at its peak and every car maker just had to get one on the market because it'd sell like hotcakes? Even Porsche got in on the act.

Same here with Sig. Someone said hey, 1911s are really popular. Let us take a radical departure from the sort of thing we've been building for years and make the ugliest damn 1911 that's ever seen the light of day!

And it was done.

Yes, I agree that they came late to the market, but let's face it, every manufacturer aside from Colt is manufacturing a copy of the original albeit with "their" improvements on an already good design.

They are a bit different looking, but that's just SIG. That being said, they are fine shooting 1911's. I use mine as an IDPA and USPSA competition gun and the little bit of extra weight helps recoil management quite a bit. Not for everybody, but that's O.K. too. Quality parts in a unique 1911, that's a SIG.

RMD

Mainsail
August 1, 2008, 12:15 PM
Surprisingly but pleasantly, it lacked one custom feature: a full length recoil spring guide rod. It used a standard guide and plug and stripped easily with my fingers.
It was the lack of superfluous nonsense like the FLGR, forward slide serrations, and the ambidextrous safety that attracted me to the Sig GSR. Additionally, I appreciate the lack of plastic and MIM parts. That said to me that Sig was serious about making a functional pistol instead of the ‘style over substance’ version some other manufacturers are putting out. When I got mine I was stunned at how well I was able to shoot it. It’s so accurate and reliable that now it’s my primary sidearm for open carry around town. I got mine through Sig’s retired military\police special that knocked about $380 off the price.

austin360
August 1, 2008, 12:21 PM
My GSR is my favorite 1911.

weisse52
August 1, 2008, 02:10 PM
Maybe. I have NO desire for the full size, that is what Colts are for.
I might consider the Commander size. IF it truly uses no plastic or MIM parts and offered a lightweight frame .
SIG has a great rep for Customer Service so yes, MAYBE!

Mainsail
August 1, 2008, 02:15 PM
Full size:
http://www.sigsauer.com/images/catalog/product/GSR-blk-left.jpg
Compact:
http://www.sigsauer.com/images/catalog/product/GSR_compact_BLK_left.jpg
C3:
http://www.sigsauer.com/images/catalog/product/RevolutionC3left.jpg

M203Sniper
August 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
Nope. For $1200+ I can get a custom gun in any flavor I want.

R12GS
August 1, 2008, 02:55 PM
Nope. For $1200+ I can get a custom gun in any flavor I want.

You're getting ripped off in one regard because you can buy them for $799. I am curious though, where are these $1200 dollar custom guns you can get?

Black Majik
August 1, 2008, 02:56 PM
No.

I prefer other manufacturers when it comes to the 1911 platform.

Mainsail
August 1, 2008, 11:48 PM
There's a great video in this thread (http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=53932)of the C3. I really like that config.

wvshootist
August 2, 2008, 01:31 AM
I purchased a GSR TTT model Aug. 08 and have been greatly satisfied with mine. I shoot 200 grain LSWC that I home load for it but have also put a few hundred 230 gr FMC white box and Blazers throught it. AS for holster I got mine from Elpaso Saddlery.

Poor East Texan
August 2, 2008, 02:18 PM
I don't shoot competively. No Open Carry here (yet).

And at $1000 or so I won't even TRY to get one. My Essex framed "race" gun does what I need.

Should open carry come to pass a whole new can of worms gets opened.

Slim Pickens
August 2, 2008, 02:34 PM
I voted yes.

I have the Revolution compact in stainless (Commander slide with Officer's frame). Nice looking gun, and very, very accurate.

The only problem I see after carrying it a while is the ejector and firing pin stop have started to discolor. I think they are a different grade of material from the frame and slide.

Eric F
August 2, 2008, 02:41 PM
Although Sig makes a fine 1911 in its own way, I already have a 1911 that I like so I said no.

The Bushmaster
August 2, 2008, 05:18 PM
Saving my money right now to buy a Sig Saur Revolution 1911 C3 Concealed carry.

SuperNaut
August 2, 2008, 06:09 PM
Some related thoughts from an earlier post (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=364234&highlight=tuxedo) on this topic.

Sir Aardvark
August 3, 2008, 02:24 AM
The thing that attracted me to the SIG GSR was the fact that it had no MIM.

Mine was created out of a Caspian Slide & Frame, and then had all Top-shelf parts installed. I have no complaints and the price was great!

varoadking
August 3, 2008, 11:58 AM
No...not even with your money...

Storm
August 3, 2008, 12:24 PM
I would, and have (see below). My other 1911s are a SW1911 and a Detonics Combat Master. My SIG is a GSR Revolution 1st Gen. I bought it used (very lightly shot, if at all) for $700. I probably could have done better. So much for it being a $1200 gun.

I have shot SIGS for twenty plus years so the opportunity to own a SIG version was too much to pass by. The fact that the slide has a distinct SIG flare is just icing on the cake for me. I shot the GSR for the first time this past Friday afternoon, and with WWB (will try hollowpoints next range trip) found the reliability to be 100% and accuracy to be exactly what I would hope for out of a 1911. So far it appears to at least have the potential to match my SW1911, if not exceed it.

Knowing what I know about the SIG, and having shot SIGS for years, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one and may well add a stainless down the road.

BTW, the 1st Gen guns (pretty much below around serial number 7000, and especially the first 100 guns) really were what some 1911s claim to be, more of a custom made kind of gun fitted from various parts sources. Many of the parts used for these guns were made by Caspian, EGW, Wilson, EMC, and Grieder. I have heard many who consider the 7000 or under guns to be the best, although they did have some early teething problems with extraction and breaking in as they were so tightly fit. SIG then went to Israeli manufactured parts (at least for the EGW parts) and now produces most if not all of the parts themselves. It was probably a cost cutting thing as well as a consistency issue with less fitting.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4745/img4136ej2.jpg

Ala Dan
August 3, 2008, 04:13 PM
SIG :scrutiny:

Yeah buddy, I would buy one in a heartbeat~! ;) :D

thegoodfight
August 3, 2008, 04:15 PM
no

same reason why I wouldn't buy a turd.

USMCDK
August 5, 2008, 05:56 PM
Well I wouldn't buy a turd either, but the question now stands, and not be a jerk, how do you know that it's a lemon??? have you ever shot one, if so was it a rental? Have you come to this conclusion based on someone elses experience? Not don't get me wrong I am not just calling you out I'm calling everyone out on this one even the ones with postive imput too. Let me know how you've come to your decision, I don't think that I really asked this in detail in my OP so now I am.

And as for that I will start. I own one (blaitantly obvious) and of course I have taken it shooting, I have actually put more than 1000rds trough her in the two weeks I have owned her. Shot JHP's to Glaser Saftey Slugs to FMJ and all of them and I DO mean ALL of them have worked without a single problem. Okay with the exception that I limp wristed a shot, but that was my error not the gun's

Black Majik
August 5, 2008, 06:24 PM
Well I wouldn't buy a turd either, but the question now stands, and not be a jerk, how do you know that it's a lemon??? have you ever shot one, if so was it a rental? Have you come to this conclusion based on someone elses experience? Not don't get me wrong I am not just calling you out I'm calling everyone out on this one even the ones with postive imput too. Let me know how you've come to your decision, I don't think that I really asked this in detail in my OP so now I am.

And as for that I will start. I own one (blaitantly obvious) and of course I have taken it shooting, I have actually put more than 1000rds trough her in the two weeks I have owned her. Shot JHP's to Glaser Saftey Slugs to FMJ and all of them and I DO mean ALL of them have worked without a single problem. Okay with the exception that I limp wristed a shot, but that was my error not the gun's

I'll post my opinion on this one. We all cruise these forums for mainly the same reasons, to hear about each other's experiences to a particular firearm. There's usually a lot of "junk" to filter through, but for the most part it's a good way to find people's opinion on a platform.

I'll freely admit, my hesitation is from what I've read on forums. I don't own one, because of what I've read. I can't try one, because my group won't own one either for me to try out. The one's I've handled seemed to be of nice quality, good trigger, tight action, and no asthetic detractions.

There's one main reason for my opinion on the SIG 1911.

www.sigforum.com/eve

That place rips the SIG 1911s a new one, and they're a SIG oriented forum. Great idea, bad execution. There are plenty of other nice 1911s to choose from.

I'll add one final reason that I wont purchase a SIG 1911. They require different holsters than all of my other 1911s. Same reason I won't purchase a current production SIG since they went with all-rails on their P-series.

No thanks.

R12GS
August 5, 2008, 09:26 PM
There's one main reason for my opinion on the SIG 1911.

www.sigforum.com/eve

That place rips the SIG 1911s a new one, and they're a SIG oriented forum. Great idea, bad execution. There are plenty of other nice 1911s to choose from.

Well then that pretty poor taste in my opinion. As that place, is a Sig forum. Prior to the manufacture of the Sig 1911, most members there preferred the 220 in spades. The primary underlying gripe amongst the sigaholics is that the GSR is not Sig enough. I would take what you glean there with a grain of salt. I've been there for a long long time.

Zach S
August 5, 2008, 09:29 PM
No.

SIGs are good looking pistols. 1911s are good looking pistols. You would think, that a 1911 that looks like a SIG would be a good looking pistol. Its not.

The SIG 1911 just looks wrong. Looks more wrong than the front cocking serrations on Kimbers, and the cocking serrations on paras.

Black Majik
August 5, 2008, 09:33 PM
Well then that pretty poor taste in my opinion. As that place, is a Sig forum. Prior to the manufacture of the Sig 1911, most members there preferred the 220 in spades. The primary underlying gripe amongst the sigaholics is that the GSR is not Sig enough. I would take what you glean there with a grain of salt. I've been there for a long long time.

As have I, I take a lot of what I read on forums with a grain on salt. But I've gotten to the point where I can distinguish the credability of most members there. The 1911 reports on there aren't favorable.

Storm
August 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
www.sigforum.com/eve

I think that applies more to the earliest guns that had some teething problems. That stuff lingers on the Net like the cheap cologne. Heck, most of the folks there don't even like the SigPro because it isn't SIG enough. I can't see most SIG purists being fond of a SIG 1911. Yeah, I prefer the old stamped and pin non-railed SIGs, but I can see beyond that.

If you really want an opinion on the SIG 1911 go to the 1911 forum and look under the SIG section. http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Ohen Cepel
August 6, 2008, 10:09 AM
I'm not a 1911 fan, had too many issues with them over the years and want something to shoot right out of the box.

That being said, if I wanted a 1911 design the Sig would be my first look.

rjohnson4405
August 6, 2008, 01:52 PM
Yep, got one. Shoots like a dream. First had a 226 and a 229 so I like the looks. Plus I'm only 21 so I'm not in love with the original 1911 look. Sig's take looks great to me and shoots great. Did break the extractor in the first thousand but sig replaced it fast and it's been %100 ever since.

USMCDK
August 6, 2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted By Zach S
SIGs are good looking pistols. 1911s are good looking pistols. You would think, that a 1911 that looks like a SIG would be a good looking pistol. Its not.

First off Hey Zach been a while man how you doing??? (answer that in a PM please)

2nd I have to agree and disagree. I agree that most Sig's actually look nice, but I also disagree about most 1911 looking nice. (but this is subjective to MHO vs. yours and others)

I have also never been a 1911 fan at least not for the ones that look like the originals. I always wonder what is was that people loved about 1911 when I was growing up and all the way until about a week ago. After having my SIG 1911 for a week I kinda figured it out ( I think ). It's a weapon style that just grows on you (at leat for me it is) I love the look and feel of the SIG 1911 but I wouldn't have that same feeling with a WWII type i.e. mil-spec 1911A1. I understnad that they are both 1911's but I guess I am just shallow about it. The cosmetics are what do it for me you know. I feel that the SIG has a more aggressive look to it then the originals do and that just tickles my fancy, you know what I mean. Hell power to those of you that get your kicks from an older design, I actually envy you. You see the beauty in the old that I just cannot.

Anyways I am rambling.

I now understand that the love of a 1911 is the same love for any other gun out there. It's the look and feel, the accuracy and the reliability that drives one to love the weapon.

HM2PAC
August 6, 2008, 07:28 PM
I now understand that the love of a 1911 is the same love for any other gun out there. It's the look and feel, the accuracy and the reliability that drives one to love the weapon.

Just get a room.:neener:

LOL, just kidding man. It's good to read posts by someone who is into their weaponry as you are.

mpmarty
August 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
I've had several 1911s and currently have two. Both are 1911s as originally designed by Father John. Sig makes complex, heavy pistols and that carried over to their 1911. Why add four parts to replace one (the extractor)? Why make a slide thicker than the typical 1911 slide has been for nearly a century? Is the metal used weaker than normal? All in all, I'd never buy one. By the way, not to hijack a thread, but have any of you ever experienced, first hand, a failure of a mim part in a pistol? I believe that BMW motorcycles have been using MIM connecting rods for many years now, that is a high stress application if ever there were one.

USMCDK
August 11, 2008, 01:29 AM
I will go get a room :neener: especially after just shooting off another 400rds out her. What can I say she likes it rough.

No seriously though I really do love my weapons and that is why I choose them, I wouldn't go out and buy something just cause it will do the job. I have to be happy with what I have. It would be like walking down the road with the one that nobody like because they are not good looking. (no offense to anyone cause beauty really is in the eye of the beholder) I guess what I am saying it's an ego thing. My pistols give me a good sense of pride and with that I shoot better. I have fired off some of my friends pistols and they just weren't my style and man let me tell you I felt so inadiquite after shooting with them. Like I said I guess I am just shallow like that, but it's just who I am and I am okay with it.

Anyways Nope you all enjoy your 1911 and keep posting I still owuld like to see who here would or would not buy the SIG 1911 and why.

Just remember Safe and Happy shooting.

Sincerely and respectfully,

USMCDK

shootergirl88
August 11, 2008, 01:34 AM
Heck no.

1) They're blocky.
2) You pay as much for the name on the slide as you do for the actual quality of the gun.
3) What exactly is so "revolution"ary about a gun that was designed 101 years ago? :confused:

Of course, it all boils down to personal preference.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 11, 2008, 01:44 AM
Yes. And I did. A compact with no rail. Nice shooter.

USMCDK
August 11, 2008, 06:37 AM
lonestar49 I know that you said no because of Cali BS laws but you never voted, however with what you said in your post I feel that you would buy one if it were possible in your state. am I wrong??? Please vote how you feel my friend. Thanks!

R&S,

USMCDK

loplop
August 11, 2008, 09:32 AM
I sure like SIGs but their 1911's don't do anything for me. I don't like the slide profile, I'm not a fan of all the tacticool add-ons, and the reports of spotty reliability don't leave me with much confidence. Add to that they're pretty expensive...

I'd rather have a Colt.

samh323
August 11, 2008, 06:11 PM
I think I've become a 1911 snob, nothing but Wilson will get my money for the time being. I've never shot one, never held one but the SIG slide doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzy feeling like a classic looking 1911 does. It really sounds like the OP wants some reassurance for his purchase.

Don357
August 11, 2008, 10:45 PM
The only reason I wouldn't buy one is the price! Sig, along with most other 1911 manufacturers severely overprice their guns. In my honest opinion, NO pistol of any kind is worth $1000+, I don't care who it's made by!

USMCDK
August 12, 2008, 01:21 AM
To be honest with you same I need no reassurance for my perchase. I got mine for a steal compared to what other people would have to pay for it. On top of that I really love my pistol if you haven't read all the posts, which I am sure you didn't, but that is okay. I started this thread to see how many others out there share a similar feeling to the weapon system as I do and it looks like 47.75% share that feeeling with me and 15.73% teeter on the idea so I am not worried about it. At least you put your honest opinion out there and hey just because only a wilson gives you a warm fuzzy doesn't make you a 1911 snob, it makes you a person that preffers a different brand at that is perfectly okay.

Happy shooting brotha

S&R,

USMCDK

Mainsail
August 12, 2008, 01:29 AM
I don't like the slide profile...
Somehow I think that’s what many said about the 1911 design when it was first introduced.
“What the heck is that thing John? Thar ain’t no roundy thing to put the bullits in!”
:p

USMCDK
August 12, 2008, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by: Mainsail
Thar ain’t no roundy thing to put the bullits in!”

What the heck would they be talking about???:rolleyes:

gcrookston
August 12, 2008, 09:40 AM
Very Happy with mine...

KBintheSLC
August 12, 2008, 03:13 PM
I would not feel bad about any gun made by SIG. I really like their long-slide, target 1911's. They are downright sexy... and they shoot great too.

larry starling
August 12, 2008, 03:54 PM
NO! If you want a 1911 get a COLT!

trinydex
August 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
how are the sig mags?

ceadermtnboy
August 12, 2008, 09:10 PM
I would buy the following before the Sig for roughly the same money:

Kimber
Springfield Loaded
Colt XSE
Dan Wesson

I would buy the Sig if it were in the 500-600 price range.

sammy
August 13, 2008, 12:45 AM
The only experence I have with one is my Brothers. The fit and finish are top notch, trigger feel and reset are every bit as good as my Wilson CQB. The only problem is the damn thing will not feed anything. We attended a 4 day defensive pistol class at Front Sight and his gun was a nightmare. Every 40 or so round it would FTF or double feed. Factory magazines or my Wilson 47d's, it made no difference. It was cleaned after each day at class but it did not matter. The frame shape was a problem as well. I brought 2 holsters and his gun would not fit into tha Blade Tech for nothing. We wound up using the Blackhawk Serpa I was going to use for my gun. No Sig 1911 in my future but not a bad gun when it runs right.

Storm
August 13, 2008, 10:16 PM
I've read a number of references in this thread pointing to the thicker SIG slide. It may appear that way, but my trusty digital calipers says otherwise.

I took my Sig GSR Revolution, SW1911, and Detonics Combat Master and measured the thickness of the slide. With the GSR the meaurement was taken at the lower part where it flares out. The results:

SW1911: .91 inches
Detonics Combat Master: .91 inches
SIG GSR Revolution: .91 inches

Also, if you measure the width above the flare on the SIG slide the thickness goes down to .85 inches.

I don't have a SA or Kimber to measure, but I'm betting on somewhere close to if not .91 inches. All of the specs that I can find put 1911 widths right at
.91" and larger.

Bottom line is that the SIG is the same width as any mil-spec 1911, and in one measure more narrow. There may be exceptions, but they are out of the ordinary.

R12GS
August 13, 2008, 11:35 PM

Kimber
Springfield Loaded
Colt XSE
Dan Wesson

Then you don't have any experience in handling any of them. I own and have owned including the Sig, a Kimber, the SA Loaded, and a Colt XSE. The Kimber was a Series II tactical to be exact, nothing special, no complaints, not as nicely finished as the Sig which I paid $799 NIB. The SA loaded is not even a comparison. The SA was not nearly as well fitted or finished. The Sig was a much better buy for the money. The Colt, well I love a good Colt, but for the price (it was more than the SIG) it didn't even include std. night sights.

DA_BULLS
August 13, 2008, 11:54 PM
I bought one, shot it, it failed to funtion with ball ammo in a way that I considered to be what a $1000 gun should and sold it, and to quote the Raven, "NEVERMORE"

USMCDK
August 14, 2008, 01:15 AM
Yes I have noticed that the earlier design of the Sig 1911 wasn't all that great, well at least from others posts. Mine has not a problem, and the whole it's wider thing is out of proportion. It's an optical illusion. The clise on a 1911 has more groves added to it from the standard flat frame design of an original 1911, which makes it look bigger. However I have heard penty that it doesn't fit into some holsters and i wouldn't doubt that. I do know that it fits into a blackhawk (can't remember the model name but will find out from Mr. Morovitz here at Sig he has that exact holster) Now I am not saying that the Sig is better or worse than any but let me ask you something...

First a quote:

Kimber
Springfield Loaded
Colt XSE
Dan Wesson

No offense man but I have yet to see any 1911's out there (NIB) for less than $800 and that was really searching for it. So once again NO OFFENSE but you are in the wrong thread. Please re-do your homework. Now I know that you can find USED 1911's out there for around the $500-$600 mark, but not NIB.

So the question is which 1911 NIB can you get for $500-$600???

Oh and before you post just a written answer make sure you have either a link and or pictures to back it up or I won't believe you.

HM2PAC
August 14, 2008, 05:45 AM
Rock Island Armory. Mine was NIB $375, IIRC.

Not fancy. Not custom. Many people will rail against them.

Those of us that have them love them.

http://www.armscor.net/

I think you can find a Taurus PT1911 for around $500 in most places as well.

The Lone Haranguer
August 14, 2008, 06:21 AM
I've read a number of references in this thread pointing to the thicker SIG slide. It may appear that way, but my trusty digital calipers says otherwise.
At one time I had both a SIG and a Colt. While I did not take the time to measure them with calipers, my impression was the SIG's slide is not thicker, it just has a less rounded, more sharp-cornered profile on top. It fit into a leather holster only with some difficulty, and in one Kydex IWB, not at all.

loki.fish
August 14, 2008, 06:49 AM
Didn't bother reading any previous posts, as I'm just offering my opinion.

I have a Sig 1911 and a SA 1911. From shooting them both, I'd take the Sig over the SA because I've had problems with the SA from the beginning.

rduckwor
August 14, 2008, 11:13 AM
"I do know that it fits into a blackhawk (can't remember the model name but will find out from Mr. Morovitz here at Sig he has that exact holster)"

My railed GSR fits a Blackhawk Serpa just fine. Also fits Galco and Bianchi leather for stock 1911's. Not a big deal. Rail corners are pretty sharp though.

RMD

32 Magnum
August 14, 2008, 11:59 AM
I bought a GSR 1911 in stainless, back when they first came on the market - 5...6 years ago (?), s/n 2744, an early 1st Generation piece. It is a beauty. However, during the first trip to the range, I shot 36 rounds through it and the slide jammed open. When I inspected the problem, I found that the little "spanner" screw on the right side of the slide had come loose and allowed the firing pin block plunger and spring to drop down and that is what was jamming the slide in the open position. I pushed it back in place and tried to tighten the spanner screw - no luck. So I called SIG ARMS service and they FAXed a prepaid UPS shipping label to me. I boxed the gun up the next day, sent it out UPS and within 10 days it was back in my hands with a letter explaining that someone had failed to put "LokTite" on the threads of the spanner screw. They replaced the plunger and spring - just in case they were damaged and sent the piece through their custom shop for a complete trigger job - to compensate for my trouble. I took it to the range and damn if they didn't smooth out the trigger to what I'm estimating to be a competition level. It is one of my favorite pieces and it performs excellently with ANY of the ammo I've tried - even the cheapest stuff. Accuracy is also excellent, with 3/4" to 1" groups routine at 25 FEET, off hand. I called the QC Manager who signed the letter and thanked him, he seemed surprised to hear from a satisfied customer, but then, as I've spent over 30 years in QC, I realize that most calls these folks get are irate and complaints.
There were two articles published, early during the initial issue period, one in "Guns & Ammo" and one in its sister publication "Handguns" about this piece. The author stated that this gun is the result of giving "carte blanche" to a top level national shooter, his name escapes me, with the instruction to design a production piece using all the best domestically (USA) produced custom internals that he would personally use to build a competition piece - and so he did. The GSR is the result - if you were to buy a bare bones 1911 frame and install all the parts used by SIGARMS, it would cost you well over 2 grand. SIGS are fine guns and have an excellent reputation, which in my experience, is well deserved - including their customer service.
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/9c407f0fnhDr6iHXIX*AWfggu9BGD4ieoffkv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

ceadermtnboy
August 14, 2008, 11:14 PM
USMCDK, no offence taken. But you can get a Taurus PT1911, a Rock Island Armory, Springfield Mil Spec, Auto-Ordnance, and High Standard Crusader compact can all be had for less than $600.00 plus tax. I will not post pictures or proof, but If I am wrong I am sure that I will get blasted by everyone. If I am correct then others will agree or you can go to gunbroker and look them up yourself. I am sure others like the Sig 1911, I personlly do not have the confidence in them. Not from personal experience, but from others I know who have had issues, and dealers I know that can not move them at the price point offfered.

ceadermtnboy
August 14, 2008, 11:53 PM
Then you don't have any experience in handling any of them. I own and have owned including the Sig, a Kimber, the SA Loaded, and a Colt XSE. The Kimber was a Series II tactical to be exact, nothing special, no complaints, not as nicely finished as the Sig which I paid $799 NIB. The SA loaded is not even a comparison. The SA was not nearly as well fitted or finished. The Sig was a much better buy for the money. The Colt, well I love a good Colt, but for the price (it was more than the SIG) it didn't even include std. night sights.

Personal opinions are like ###holes. Everyone has one and some stink worse than others. Keep the SIG and I'll go with the Springfield, Kimber, Colt and Dan Wesson. To me they are proven while the GSR is questionable.

R12GS
August 15, 2008, 12:11 AM
Some people base their opinions off of personal first hand knowledge, those hold some merit of credit. Others are indeed like *******s, they stink because they might as well give us their theory on subatomic light particle acceleration.

cpttango30
August 15, 2008, 12:16 AM
it's a sig, why not?

+1

If it is of sig quality then heck yah I would buy one.

ceadermtnboy
August 15, 2008, 12:47 AM
R12GS, I repect your first hand knowledge. FYI I have a Kimber, and recently added the XSE just because everyone needs at least one original. My brother and I have fired several thousand rounds through his loaded SA. I have a HUGE hankering for a DW bobtail and unlike the GSR most reviews and gun threads are overwelmingly positive. I did not say that I would not give one a chance, but not at the price point they are at. Again, my confidence is not high enough. In this thread alone there have been several negative comments regarding the GSR. I think if you took a poll regarding preference and listed Colt, SA, Kimber, DW, and GSR , you would find the GSR to rank at the bottom. I have read threads from people with (firsthand knowledge) on the High Point 9mm, and they see no need for a Glock, XD, or the like. Great for them! It does not make the Highpoint right for everyone. Your FH knowledge may be biased towards your personal taste. I could personally taste several different wines, and pick the mad dog 20/20 over the top shelf variety. That does not make my decision hold merit! Now would you really like me to give you my subatomic light particle acceleration theory?

The_Sheriff
August 15, 2008, 12:49 AM
I would imagine they would be very expensive and I don't really like all the safety's on Sigs (personal thing) so probably not.

Mainsail
August 15, 2008, 01:12 AM
I would imagine they would be very expensive and I don't really like all the safety's on Sigs (personal thing) so probably not.
The Sig 1911 has exactly the same safeties as a every other 1911. What's the difficulty?

USMCDK
August 15, 2008, 02:16 AM
R12GS, I repect your first hand knowledge. FYI I have a Kimber, and recently added the XSE just because everyone needs at least one original. My brother and I have fired several thousand rounds through his loaded SA. I have a HUGE hankering for a DW bobtail and unlike the GSR most reviews and gun threads are overwelmingly positive. I did not say that I would not give one a chance, but not at the price point they are at. Again, my confidence is not high enough. In this thread alone there have been several negative comments regarding the GSR. I think if you took a poll regarding preference and listed Colt, SA, Kimber, DW, and GSR , you would find the GSR to rank at the bottom. I have read threads from people with (firsthand knowledge) on the High Point 9mm, and they see no need for a Glock, XD, or the like. Great for them! It does not make the Highpoint right for everyone. Your FH knowledge may be biased towards your personal taste. I could personally taste several different wines, and pick the mad dog 20/20 over the top shelf variety. That does not make my decision hold merit! Now would you really like me to give you my subatomic light particle acceleration theory?

I'm going to take you up on that gentlemens offer and start a poll for us. Not to see whose right or wrong but it would make for some good posting. Thanks for the idea ceadermtnboy. However now I have to ask which colt model, SA model, Kimber model, and DW model are you talking about, cause the GSR is the only 1911 SIG makes now.

evan price
August 15, 2008, 01:09 PM
Sig already makes the best single-stack .45 on the planet, the P220. Why would I want to saddle myself with the fussiness of a 1911 style pistol? Sure, it's a Sig, so it should run great unlike most 1911s, but why re-invent the wheel?

ceadermtnboy
August 16, 2008, 11:41 AM
USMCDK, That would be an interesting post! I also do not really care who is wrong or right because the truth is that both of us are right. That is what personal opinions are all about. The Kimber is the Eclipse Pro II, the colt is the XSE governmet SS, the Springfield is the full size loaded parkerized, and the DW I am lusting after is the bobtail. Good luck with the poll.

texas bulldog
August 16, 2008, 12:10 PM
i gave them a look at one point. i like the 1911, and i like sigs. however, i'm not a fan of external extractors on a 1911. if i were to buy a 1911 that had an external extractor it would probably be a S&W rather than a sig.

but it sure seems that the folks posting here that have 'em like 'em. so they can't be all bad. just not my first (or second, or third, etc) choice in a 1911...

boomstik45
August 16, 2008, 09:31 PM
I asked another member here (George Hill), who knows his guns. He recommended it without hesitation. I bought one and this gun is GREAT. The fit and finish are incredible. I've seen and handled custom guns (and simply just more expensive guns) that weren't on this level. Is it better than the best custom guns? I doubt it. But there's a difference between "better" and "worse". Sometimes a weapon like this is "just as good" as some of these "custom" guns.

It does not surprise me that more GSRs get dogged than the many Springers, Colts, Kimbers, etc. How many Sig 1911s are there out there compared to the others, who have been making 1911s for decades, not to mention a million different models?

I,too appreciate first-hand knowledge over hearsay and other crap. My personal experience with the Sig 1911 has been good. I have the railed GSR Revolution version. I wanted the rail. I am just fine with the external extractor. And the 8 round mag. And the non-standard slide. By the way, it just LOOKS thicker, for those who are interested. It is still thinner than the Sig 220 if you want a comparison. Noticeably so, at that. Couldn't see where it's thicker than the average 1911. I once owned a Springfield Loaded model. I had problems with it right away. And in no way is it the same as far as fit and finish as the Sig. I'd buy another Sig in a hot minute. Probably a smaller one.

I'd say for the money, it's more than worth buying. If you don't like the looks or are worried that it won't hold to the standard, hey there's other makes out there. But don't bash what you don't know.....

Not to change the subject too much, but the Taurus 1911 is ALSO an underrated 1911 that performs well. They just write on those things too much...:rolleyes:

USMCDK
August 20, 2008, 02:57 AM
USMCDK, That would be an interesting post! I also do not really care who is wrong or right because the truth is that both of us are right. That is what personal opinions are all about. The Kimber is the Eclipse Pro II, the colt is the XSE governmet SS, the Springfield is the full size loaded parkerized, and the DW I am lusting after is the bobtail. Good luck with the poll.

Thanks for the models I will get on the thread right away, this is going to be so fun. I agree with you neither of us are wrong or right and I appreciate you pointing that out. Well I am off to start a new thread yet again.

S&R

USMCDK

shooterfromtexas
August 20, 2008, 03:01 AM
Sorry, but not my cup of tea. Rather get a nice Colt for the same money.

USMCDK
August 20, 2008, 03:21 AM
Okay just for you THR memeber I started the new poll "Just an old fashioned preference poll" So if you'd like to vote or post your thoughts or whatever (within reason) feel free to find the thread and give it your best, but don't forget to post what you feel towards this thread here as well. Thanks all...

S&R

USMCDK

Lazarus40
August 20, 2008, 04:22 AM
A friend has one....it's been a turkey from the start. In many ways it reminds me of the foul-up that was the SIG Trailside in that the 22 spent weeks off getting fixed at SIG. Same with the 1911 copy....bought nearly three years ago, it has made THREE trips back to SIG for repairs and /or adjustment - initially it was the trigger pull - it was over 16#!! (my trigger pull device does not go above 15# 13 ounces)....then the extractor broke off......second trip back..... last time back to SIG was about a year ago and it was for a broken extractor pivot pin and the subsequent loss of the extractor and spring....

TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE/ Lazarus Long (Robert Heinlein)

Bufford t. Justice
August 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
I sure do like the looks of that two tone. The last picture in USMCDK's post. Nice. I might just need one of those.

USMCDK
August 21, 2008, 07:37 AM
IMHO it would be an excellent choice Bufford

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG 1911 Would you buy one???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!