bprevolver chambers

PDA

omarkw11@gmail.com
July 31, 2008, 10:40 PM
in a post i noticed someone mention chamfering the chambers. was wondering if anyone has done this and did it help accuracy/loading. i have a 51 navy replica that im getting good groups with but would like to do better. also has anyone polished the chambers and if so, did it help?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "bprevolver chambers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokin_Gun
August 1, 2008, 01:20 AM
Omark, polishing the chambers will not help your accuracy. Not recommeded as material removed from chamber will change diameter and therefore change ball size, ect.
Chamfering is merely to make loading the balls easier. They would sit into a deeper recess before pressed onto powder. I would say to leave them as they are unless you are having trouble loading. Has nothing to do with increasing accuracy. More shooting is the best way to improve accuracy.

Hope that helps, Happy shootin',

SG

mykeal
August 1, 2008, 07:44 AM
I would recommend you mike the chambers, the forcing cone and the lands and grooves of the barrel. It's possible (in fact, likely) that they don't match up, and reaming the chambers and forcing cone to within a couple thousandths oversize compared to the groove diameter will give you the most accurate combination possible.

The easiest way to make those measurements is to force a .380 ball (assuming a .36 cal Navy) into a chamber, then push it out from the back (after removing the nipple); using a good set of mikes, measure across the flat surface swaged onto the ball. For the barrel bore, force the same size ball halfway down the barrel from the muzzle, then push it out from the back; you will have clearly swaged land and groove marks that can be measured. For the forcing cone, push the ball in just far enough to shave a ring of lead, then push it back out from the muzzle.

Voodoochile
August 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
Mykeal, that is what I'm in the process of doing to one of my Pietta 58's.
.4490 Grove diameter
.4405 Lands diameter
.446 - .4465 Chamber diameter

I'm waiting for my custom .4510 Chamber Reamer from manson reamers (http://www.mansonreamers.com/) so that I can do exactly what you mentioned.

scrat
August 1, 2008, 10:40 AM
wow thats some differences i imagine you make those chambers more closely to the others and your accuracy will improve imensily.
keep me informed on this one i want to know.

Voodoochile
August 1, 2008, 11:02 AM
Scrat this'll be my first time ever doing this on a C&B revolver & I've only done this to two other SAA revolvers to correct a chamber to bore dimentions issue, this piece shoots OK but not like I want & in reading about the Silver Moon issue which this piece has on 2 of the 3 cylinders I talked to Long Rifle & determined that reaming may cure it enough to bring the groups tighter.

Took me some time to Slug the barrel with a .490 Ball so that I'll have plenty to get an accurate reading on "know that I could have used a .457 ball but wanted to be sure of my measurements.

Oh & BTW that 51' Navy you got from me had better numbers than this 58' I'm working on.

scrat
August 1, 2008, 11:14 AM
That navy is an awesome shooter. Amazingly both my 51's are my best shooters. Especially the pietta. could not believe it. they last a long time and shoot more accurate than my others.

omarkw11@gmail.com
August 1, 2008, 12:10 PM
thank you all for the ideas, much appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "bprevolver chambers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!