Chicago Tribune gun debate '02 or...Thank you Mr. Heller

PDA

Intune
August 1, 2008, 02:05 PM
This is a blast from the past but I think it serves to remind folks of what we were/are up against.
The following is an excerpt from a Trib debate between Thomas Mannard Executive Director of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence and John Birch, President of Concealed Carry, Inc.

It can be read in its entirety (long but VERY interesting) at
http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2002/04/from-the-archiv.html

Thomas Mannard-
Unfortunately, my days of taking multiple choice exams ended years ago so as you stated, the answers to your questions will have to stay between myself and my moral conscience.

I don't think we have time to get into a discussion about the Second Amendment, that's for another Rhubarb. However, I will tell you that I am thoroughly comfortable with the Supreme Court's interpretation that the Second Amendment serves only as a check on the power of the federal government, thereby preventing it from interfering with a state's ability to maintain a militia, and in no way limits the individual state's power to regulate firearms, including controlling handgun ownership in any way they see fit.
Intune- Not so comfy now, eh, Thomas?

I have also found it amusing when people have written to me saying it is their "God Given right to carry a concealed weapon." I guess that was the eleventh commandment. I must have missed it.

Back to the issue before us. We can continue to go back and forth about the merits or lack thereof of carrying a concealed weapon, but the bottom line is that the great majority of the residents of Illinois do not support regular citizens carrying concealed weapons which is why it is not the law.

I don't understand why you think the majority of Illinois residents should concede to the minority on this issue. Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing the whining and moaning from people who feel as if their rights are being denied, and believe me since this Rhubarb started John, I've been receiving plenty of e-mail from your supporters who are doing just that. If they have a problem with our law here in Illinois, perhaps they might want to consider Indiana or Michigan. You might want to suggest that they avoid Wisconsin and Missouri, however, since they also prohibit carrying concealed weapons.

:barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Chicago Tribune gun debate '02 or...Thank you Mr. Heller" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eleven Mike
August 1, 2008, 02:20 PM
I am happy to report that Missouri no longer prohibits concealed carry. :)

Still requires a license, unfortunately, but...

If you enjoyed reading about "Chicago Tribune gun debate '02 or...Thank you Mr. Heller" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!