Decapitation on greyhound as a way to rethink their weapons policy?

PDA

Gaiudo
August 1, 2008, 01:29 PM
I don't know if you've been following the story in which the man stabbed and decapitated his seat-make on the greyhound this week:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,395781,00.html

Greyhound's no-weapons policy (even in checked baggage) is well known, and has been a constant source of aggravation for me personally. I have refused to ride on their buses as a result. With situations like the above happening (in which no-one could keep the "bad-guy" from bringing a knife on the bus), I wonder if this might cause greyhound to rethink their weapons policy for law-abiding citizens?

Probably wishful thinking.

If you enjoyed reading about "Decapitation on greyhound as a way to rethink their weapons policy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psyopspec
August 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
I haven't ridden Greyhound since I started carrying. The last time I did though, there were no x-rays, wands, or metal detectors. Does Greyhound's policy hold federal weight behind it by way of DOT, or is it dependent upon the state in which you're riding? For example, in North Dakota I could hop a bus and CCW within the laws of the state in spite of the policy.

zxcvbob
August 1, 2008, 02:06 PM
I like this quote, from another report of the same incident:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080731/Manitoba_bus_080731/20080731?hub=TopStories

"They were very brave. They reacted swiftly, calmly in exiting the bus and as a result nobody else was injured."

I doubt there was anything they could have done to save the victim by the time the attack was under way, but "very brave" sure seems like an odd choice of words.

He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!"

kingjoey
August 1, 2008, 02:22 PM
I doubt there was anything they could have done to save the victim by the time the attack was under way, but "very brave" sure seems like an odd choice of words.

Yup. Seems that "running like scared sheep" would have been more fitting. Don't worry, the media will figure out how to work the word 'hero' into the follow-up story and someone is probably already writing a made-for-TV movie about this :banghead:

Seems that someone should have done something when the guy started stabbing, but they probably all sat there 3-5 feet away and screamed. The world has turned into a bunch of selfish pansies.

Justin
August 1, 2008, 02:55 PM
This happened in Canada, so even if Greyhound rescinded their "no weapons" policy, it wouldn't have made a difference.

I really, really dislike the trend of posting a link to every news story detailing a grisly murder and then asking "would guns have made a difference?"

It's not really gun-related in the least, and frankly the discussion threads will play out the same time, pretty much every time.

In other words, there's no new ground to be covered by rehashing such news stories, and frankly, the continuance of posting them is monotonously boring.

If you enjoyed reading about "Decapitation on greyhound as a way to rethink their weapons policy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!