which scope?

PDA

B Man
August 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
I have a Taurus M44 8 3/8" barrel pistol for hunting and i'm in need of a scope now... I had an incident thursday afternoon where i could have used a good scope to benefit the last five minutes of daylight when i stalked up within 45 yards of some hogs and couldn't see my iron sights good enough to take an ethical shot and had to pass them up:cuss:

I stalk and still hunt with this gun so i will have a prop when i have 75-100 yard shots to take advantage of a higher power scope like a 2-6 or 2-7. Give me some good advice on good scopes for the money. So far i'm looking into the Bushnell trophy 2-6x32 & 3200 elite, nikon monarch, & weaver scopes. What is your take on them?

If you enjoyed reading about "which scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 1, 2008, 04:20 PM
My take on them is you won't like much over a 2x - 2 1/2x if you have to stand up on your hind legs and shoot one.

Field-of-view quickly goes south at high power, and your shakes will be magnified all out of porportion to how much the gun is really moving.

IMO: The high-power variables are best used on single-shot rifle caliber handguns for bench-rest shooting.

rcmodel

Legionnaire
August 1, 2008, 08:54 PM
I'm with rcmodel ... 2X is the way to go with a conventional scope on a revolver. Other option for low light conditions would be a no-magnification red dot.

dakotasin
August 1, 2008, 08:55 PM
i run a 2x nikon on my 480 ruger.

Seafarer12
August 1, 2008, 09:23 PM
I run a 4x Leupold on my Encore. It is kind of a high power without a rest.

22-rimfire
August 1, 2008, 10:05 PM
I have a 2x Leupold on my 480 SRH. I like it. Scopes take some getting used to with a handgun. They slow me down, but I shoot better.

B Man
August 2, 2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks fellas, I did alot more research and have seen great reviews on the Bushnell Trophy. I'm gonna get it b/c the 2 power will be great for stalking and the the higher magnification for fine tuning on a bench.

If you enjoyed reading about "which scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!