XDSC - Trade in or Upgrade for NS

PDA

tyserj
August 1, 2008, 03:55 PM
Several questions here...

The gun is an XD9SC (Which I love) standard sights. I have been carrying this gun concealed for many months now since I got my permit. I love the gun, have great holster(s) for it and have no problems with the gun or the form factor or the size. I would like to stay with this gun.

I have been experimenting with shooting in dusk or under artificial light lately. The white dots usually work very well, during daylight, and under direct artificial light. However I find myself carrying in situations with low ambient light at night, and when experimenting shooting with these situations, I find it takes me much longer to sight in on what i'm shooting at.. much longer to "find" the sights from draw, than normal. It is upsetting and I fear that in a self defense situation I could have trouble getting ready in time, or worse, miss my target and hit something I dont want to.

Thusly, I think I need night-sights.

So my main question is:

Do I Trade in the gun for the same gun with trijicon 3-dot sights, or do I sent my gun into springfield for the "combat" upgrade? It is 220$ which includes trigger job and overall test of pistol function, as well as the cost of the nightsights and fitment on the gun.

So some additional questions:

How much would it be worth on trade in to buy the new one with NS? It is about 6 months old and has 1100 Rounds through it.

Is it worth the 220$ for the combat job?

How does one go about sending guns off for work like that? Do I need to go through my FFL to send it, or to recieve it when done? (including probably paying them the FFL transfer fee?)

Thanks for reading I hope somebody can help me figure out what to do next.

If you enjoyed reading about "XDSC - Trade in or Upgrade for NS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skinewmexico
August 1, 2008, 06:17 PM
There are an infinite number of people who work on XDs for a lot less than Springfield. Personally, I am hesitant to do a trigger job on a carry gun, just because of what several will say is lawsuit/prosecutor paranoia. I also wouldn't trade my Tru-glo TFOs for all the Trijicons in the world. The TFOs are head and shoulders above the Trijicons (and your current sights) in the daytime, and as good as the Trijicons at night. If I wanted a trigger job, I'd send it to Springer Precision, Canyon Creek, or Powder River. Powder River makes a great trigger and spring kit for $60. I put mine in in an hour, and have about 3/8" of total travel now. Detailed instructions with pics on XDtalk.com. Also.............there are a couple of forum sponsors on XDtalk who will install your night sights for free, if you buy them from them.

If you enjoyed reading about "XDSC - Trade in or Upgrade for NS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!