.50gi

PDA

memphisjim
August 2, 2008, 05:16 PM
i have an interest in this cartridge basically because its cool and maybe best manstopper yet

ive read some stuff on it and the 45acp guys kinna blow it off like the extra size doesnt matter but theses same guys preach great superiority of the 45acp over the 40s&w

would this round be that much better?

If you enjoyed reading about ".50gi" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ridgerunner665
August 2, 2008, 05:24 PM
A little, but not a great deal better...and it would likely overpenetrate.

I agree, its a cool round and I have thought about buying one myself (and probably will sooner or later)...but the good ole 45 is my "go to" round, simply because of ammo availability.

Eric F
August 2, 2008, 05:28 PM
basically because its cool and maybe best manstopper yet

Ever hear of the S&W 500 magnum?

I agree it might be fun but like many others I think it will be a fad and short lived.

Dustinthewind
August 2, 2008, 06:02 PM
I doubt that you could find any bullets that would expand with any degree of reliability. Also the thing would have the trajectory of a thrown brick.

memphisjim
August 2, 2008, 08:10 PM
ok yes ive heard of the 500s&w but its a definate overpenatrater

trajectory doesnt really matter as i dont see it as a multipurpose caliber just a close quarter man stopper

why wouldnt the bullet expand ?

Dustinthewind
August 2, 2008, 08:51 PM
why wouldnt the bullet expand ?

Velocity. Same reason that a lot of .45 hollow points don't expand. But with a 1/2" slug you probably wouldn't need any expansion.

tcrocker
August 2, 2008, 11:06 PM
I read about it in one of the gun rags seems like a realy cool gun. I asy if you like and can buy one do it. You only live once:evil:

SimpleIsGood229
August 3, 2008, 03:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the .50-cal. Speer Gold Dot loaded in the .50 GI rounds was designed for the .50 Action Express, with its 1300-1400 fps velocity. Not quite ideal, if you ask me.

However, a .50 GI-specific hollowpoint would seem to be very, very effective.

MTMilitiaman
August 3, 2008, 05:42 AM
Velocity. Same reason that a lot of .45 hollow points don't expand.

RRrrright...

Because bullet manufactures aren't smart enough to design their .45 caliber JHPs to expand at .45 ACP velocities.

Maybe thirty years ago bullet technology didn't exist to allow JHPs to expand at the velocities the .45 ACP does. These days, it's a whole nother story, and the .45 expands about as reliably as anything else on the market.

memphisjim
August 3, 2008, 06:59 AM
mtmilia guy i dont want you agreeing with me because of your stance on the ufc
id gladly tumble with you though
right after you knocked me off my bar stool
forget my scholarship for wrestling and all or my degree jack daniels baby

If you enjoyed reading about ".50gi" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!