1874 45/90 Sharps...reduced loads?

PDA

gizamo
August 2, 2008, 05:34 PM
Well, I went and did it:uhoh:

Now I am trying to figure out a decent Black Powder load for it. I am thinking of reduced recoil loads. My Club only has a 100 and 200 yard range. That and having broken my shoulder awhile back make me think that 1f powder might be the ticket....

Anyone worked up some reduced loads for 45/90 here?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/Gizamo1/NewPicssharps002-1.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/Gizamo1/NewPicssharps003.jpg

Giz

If you enjoyed reading about "1874 45/90 Sharps...reduced loads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Iggy
August 5, 2008, 05:19 PM
Dang, that thing is purty.

I only have a 45-70 Gummint, so I can't help you much with light loads for that purty rifle of yours.

Heck, you can use a primer and slip a round ball in the end of the case for shootin' flies and small mice!!:evil:

Just check the barrel to make sure the ball cleared the muzzle before you do it again!!:what:

If you use FFg and light bullets you should be able to tailor something you like.

1Fg may be a little bit dirty.

As you know, BP don't smack you like smokeless, and with that heavy rifle you should be able to come up with some pussy-cat loads.

Just be sure you don't have any airspace in the case between your powder and the projectile.

You can use a filler like cream of wheat or corn meal to eliminate the airspace.

Just consider that the weight of the filler adds to the projectile weight.

Have fun.

alemonkey
August 5, 2008, 07:42 PM
Very nice!

How about a 400 grain or so bullet, and just fill up the case with powder but no compression? I know a lot of guys use them, but fillers make me nervous.

gizamo
August 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
I was given some Montana Bullet 400 grain bullets with the gun. How about some 1.5 F filling the case.....?

Giz

alemonkey
August 5, 2008, 08:41 PM
Well, I shoot a 500 grain in my 45-70 with 60 grains of 1.5. I have to compress it quite a bit to get it to fit. That load thumps pretty well but is manageable. Shooting offhand or sitting is no problem, but prone gets a little uncomfortable towards the end of a string.

I used to shoot 405 grain bullets over 28 grains of AA 5744 and that was a pussycat. I've never tried the same bullet over black powder (I should, now that I think of it) but I think the extra bullet weight adds a heck of a lot of recoil. I think this weekend I'll try to load up a couple rounds with the same powder charge but with the lighter bullets and see what it's like. It won't be quite like your 45-90 but maybe I can give you an idea of the difference.

By the way, do you buy a new rifle every week or what? :neener: Those rocks have seen some nice pieces.

gizamo
August 5, 2008, 08:45 PM
alemonkey,

Much appreciated. Guessing that you will feel a noticeable drop in felt recoil. Accuracy with the 1.5 should be pretty good, as it is burning most of the way down the barrel...

Please post the results...

Giz

alemonkey
August 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
Well, the good news is I loaded up 5 rounds with the 400 grain bullets and took them with me to the silhouette shoot today. The bad news is I forgot to try them out:banghead:

Mike Franklin
August 10, 2008, 05:31 PM
Why wouldn't you just get a rifle for a smaller round?
When they rebuilt my right shoulder after an accident they removed most of the tissue from the front leaving me not much padding. I used to have a .45-70 Winchester but now get along quite well with a Marlin .38-55.

MMCSRET
August 10, 2008, 06:29 PM
Please keep in mind that the 45-90 was originally loaded with 300 gr. bullets, thats how it got the name of "Express". I use the Lyman 330 gr. Hollow point and you can taylor your loads to the level you like. As for 1F being dirty; load it over 5 grains of unique for a very clean burning duplex load.

If you enjoyed reading about "1874 45/90 Sharps...reduced loads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!