Got my first pistol. CZ75b-SA

PDA

Aka Zero
August 2, 2008, 07:37 PM
Love this gun. And actually for no practice with pistols ,other than an old woodsman, fairly accurate (at ~15 yards.)

Bought some walmart Remington, and Winchester fmjs, 50rnds each, to see what it liked. Put 100 rounds through it so far ate it all. The remington was seated deeper though, made it harder to load into the magazine since the bullets wanted to lean up if i used the speed loader that came with the gun. no problems with wwb, fe wcents cheaper too.

Going to pick up another 100 rounds of wwb, put some more holes in paper plates ( great cheap targets, about the same size as a 25yd slow fire circle. get your money twice if you eat on them first. ;) ) If this thing gets better after 500 rounds of break in... I like it even more..

Thanks to all the CZ guys who recommended them. I am glad I went with it. Now I need more mags, and then some mods.

<New CZ fanboy has joined the THR ranks>

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my first pistol. CZ75b-SA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zan
August 2, 2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats on your adoption and we know that little one will grow to make you proud! Remember that adopting and raising these little tykes can be expensive, but if you treat them well and take them out regularly, they'll never let you down. Also, remember to bottle feed (break free) after every outing and change their mags and springs as needed like a good daddy should.

GZOh
August 2, 2008, 10:28 PM
Congratulations aka... You now own one of the finest firearms made, enjoy it for many years... and now, let the collecting begin!

Here's the progression: SP-01 next, P-01, then the .22 Kadet (for cheap targeting), the 'core' is then in place... then on to the miscellaneous CZs. See how easy!!! And remember "Don't ever be afraid to open the Czech Book!"

Good Luck and enjoy!

Aka Zero
August 2, 2008, 10:33 PM
I wanted a pf-9 kel-tec for carry, but am now considering a rami, or 75d. That's how much I like this gun right out of the box.

eerw
August 2, 2008, 10:36 PM
the 75SA is a very neat gun..you will enjoy it. congratulations on your purchase.

Curiousity
August 2, 2008, 11:16 PM
ah. The Cz-75 in SA i got it too! and i love it! so accurate stock..

Riight now i am done with cz's i see no need for more any more, its just such a perfect 9mm its the only one i am going to buy.

I just bought a .38 super, next is a .45...

atblis
August 2, 2008, 11:48 PM
iight now i am done with cz's i see no need for more any more, its just such a perfect 9mm its the only one i am going to buy.
Yeah right.

Curiousity
August 3, 2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah. Right!:cuss:

burningsquirrels
August 3, 2008, 01:38 AM
congrats on the purchase... now get modifying! :D

Pilot
August 3, 2008, 08:24 AM
Get a CZ-75D PCR next. Its similar to the P-01 without the rail, and yeah you need the Kadet Kit too.

Master of Arms
August 3, 2008, 02:52 PM
sorry

Aka Zero
August 4, 2008, 03:33 AM
200 rounds through it. No failures.

Was ejecting some rounds backwards at the beginning. Just kept shooting, after 75~ rounds, started ejecting more sideways like it is supposed too.

Love the SA mechanism. Loved it since I shot my grandpas single six revolver.

Curiousity
August 4, 2008, 03:37 AM
Omg dude... ZERO

The first time i tried it! 100 rounds not one problem, but the casings kept smacking me in my forehead and shirt... Hopefully my problem goes away like yours did...

Aka Zero
August 4, 2008, 04:43 AM
Mine has since cleared up. Finished 200 rounds today. Using Walmart Winchester white box ammo.

The shells are extracting right and clearing 5 ft to the right now. Just keep shooting, if it doesn't clear up, post in the main forum.

If it anything more than a break in issue (springs, ammo, other). Other people besides me will know better.

BTW: how you like your saiga? Want to get me an AK variant sometime.

burningsquirrels
August 4, 2008, 08:35 AM
our sp-01 did the same thing at first but it went away. probably just part of the break-in process. we put 250 rounds through ours, and then i went and did a quick action job and a few other items. now it works incredibly reliable.

robctwo
August 4, 2008, 10:18 AM
One of my first pistols was the 75BD. I put a Kadet Kit with it and shot the heck out of paper. I kept asking the lady at WalMart why they didn't carry more WWB 9mm since I was shooting a LOT. She said "most people shooting as much as you reload". I now have over 90,000 rounds loaded on a Hornady LnL. Many of them 9mm, but quite a few .45 and various rifle calibers. Lead is addicting.

Aka Zero
August 4, 2008, 06:15 PM
If I get any more guns, will have to buy some reloading equipment.

Shot 200 rounds, in a weekend. Could have shot much more. And only had one gun, two magazines.

burningsquirrels
August 4, 2008, 06:17 PM
dude, get reloading equipment. seriously. it adds a whole new dimension to shooting as a whole.

did you say you were into cars? it's like building your own engines instead of diving only what's on the showroom floor. it opens doors for opportunities. :)

i'm going to make a thread soon that outlines what it's like from start to finish for someone with zero reloading equipment and not a lot of money.

btw, 200 rounds isn't all that much. wait till you sport shoot. :D

Wolfman_556
August 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
Ah yes CZ's. Once you pop, you can't stop.

I only have one bought on July 3rd and I already want a couple more.

Within a month the CZ75B became my favorite pistol.

:D

GZOh
August 4, 2008, 07:29 PM
wolfman... The progression is as follows: 75B, P-01, SP-01, .22 Kadet (for 'cheap' shooting), then etc. etc... All I can say, to postpone the inevitable, is... (1) don't look at ANY of armoredmans 'family' pics...and (2) don't hold or view, in a gun shop, either the P-01 or SP-01 until you have secured the necessary funds!

For now, one down, and many more to go... Or, as they say, "Get Your Czech Book Out!!"

eerw
August 4, 2008, 07:36 PM
Or, as they say, "Get Your Czech Book Out!!"

LOL..:D

burningsquirrels
August 4, 2008, 08:37 PM
those czech jokes are czech too much.

1SOW
August 4, 2008, 10:41 PM
On the CZForum is a good mod with pics for changing the ejector shape slightly to throw the expensive trash out the "right" side

atblis
August 5, 2008, 12:55 PM
Well, there is a sticky with a picture of the mod
http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=8209.0
However, the picture appears to be gone.

Basically you just just shorten the ejector till the brass goes a reasonable distance. It's actually a considerable amount. I also angled mine to an angle similar to my CZ75B. Shorten it a little bit at a time and shoot it to see what happens.

eerw
August 5, 2008, 01:06 PM
recut my ejector to this angle and slightly toward the ejection port.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/eerw/Cool%20Stuff/Ejector1.jpg

thegoodfight
August 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
should have bought a glock

eerw
August 5, 2008, 08:19 PM
should have bought a glock

great contribution. :D

Wolfman_556
August 5, 2008, 09:09 PM
wolfman... The progression is as follows: 75B, P-01, SP-01, .22 Kadet (for 'cheap' shooting), then etc. etc... All I can say, to postpone the inevitable, is... (1) don't look at ANY of armoredmans 'family' pics...and (2) don't hold or view, in a gun shop, either the P-01 or SP-01 until you have secured the necessary funds!

For now, one down, and many more to go... Or, as they say, "Get Your Czech Book Out!!"

My list is in this order:

CZ-75B 9mm in black poly or blue (because I already have a stainless one)

CZ-75 SPO1 9mm - higher capacity and steel frame. I'm not fond of rails but I can ignore them in this case.

CZ-75B 9mm Compact - because maybe it will convert The Woman and she'll stop shooting all my expensive .44mag ammo :banghead:

CZ-97 - only if I can find mags for it. CZ + .45acp = yum :cool:

phorvick
August 5, 2008, 09:27 PM
The SA model is superb! Most accurate "out of the box" handgun that I own.

I have had -0- failures in some 5000+ rounds....except when using Blazer aluminum cased rounds. In checking with other CZ'ers, that is not an unheard of issue. Love the gun.

Also have had two different model 97's. Beautiful gun....very big gun....and I never would get another. They do not reliably shoot hollowpoints. Some models work without problems, others never do. The two I had did not reliably feed hollowpoints. On the first, CZ customer service worked hard to make it work. They were not successful. On the second model, thier customer service was rude, uncommunicative and they damaged my gun while in their possession and refused to repair it. I have -0- respect for their customer service dept. Many folks rave about their service, and I am sure they were great for those people. But in my case, they were horrid.

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 09:33 PM
right now in terms of just CZs we got:

40b (limited 10 gun)
sp-01 (production gun, steel and pin gun)

in the pipe is:

40b, barely used, will become general protection gun

what i have on my to-do list in no partiular order is:

1. yet another 40b but new, to have my first brand new gun, keep it factory stock with just a basic trigger job
2. a used kadet conversion kit for steel and pins, with optic red dot to put on top of one of the 40b pistols
3. 75 compact, used, non-pcr, non-rail, to cut up for carry (a la pro-tek model)
4.pair of matching RAMI in 9mm for the wedding next year, and get them matching engraved.

i'll probably do up for the RAMIs first. now if only i can find the money. :( :D

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 09:34 PM
when using Blazer aluminum cased rounds

$3 extra power extractor spring from czcustom.com :) takes a couple minutes to install, or a gunsmith can do it for next to nothing for being a couple minutes of work.

Aka Zero
August 5, 2008, 10:02 PM
My gun is ejecting just fine now.

Pistols are so much more fun to shoot than rifles.

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 11:01 PM
now it's time for some run n' gun. :D

strat81
August 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
Wolfman, if the only reason you want the SP-01 is the mags, you can get them separately and they fit and work in the standard 75B and 85 just fine.

burningsquirrels
August 6, 2008, 01:41 PM
yup. and you can get the +2 beretta basepads it seems.

strat81
August 6, 2008, 01:58 PM
yup. and you can get the +2 beretta basepads it seems.
Que?

burningsquirrels
August 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
on the czforumsite.info, eerw has a post where he used the beretta +2 basepad on a CZ magazine with a modified follower to increase capacity to 21+1...

eerw
August 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
the Pearce + pads for Beretta 92 fit the CZ 75 mag..pretty easy to get 20+1, and with some tinkering with the follower you can get 21+1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/eerw/Cool%20Stuff/_140magC.jpg

Mecgar make a +2 pad for the Beretta, same as the pad that is on the SIG226SCT..with the SP01 mag..you can get 23+1 in it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/eerw/Cool%20Stuff/_DSC0157.jpg

in theory, most of this should work with the 12rnd .40 mags, but I don't have any to try.

burningsquirrels
August 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
i'll probably order one after my trip to see if it works. if i can get +2 in my 40 mags, i'll be tickled pink and shooting limited. :)

i should've shot limited this weekend... there was a match with six classifiers and i'm unclassified in limited division. i coulda shot sandbagged as a 'd' class and then taken that to the state match in october. :D

Wolfman_556
August 6, 2008, 05:45 PM
Wolfman, if the only reason you want the SP-01 is the mags, you can get them separately and they fit and work in the standard 75B and 85 just fine.

It's a contributing factor but not the only reason by any means.

Aka Zero
August 6, 2008, 09:16 PM
Need some SP-01 mags.

Where is the best place online to buy them?

burningsquirrels
August 6, 2008, 11:52 PM
don't we all.

czcustom.com when they have them usually has the best price. and by best i mean $48. :(

Aka Zero
August 7, 2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah.... CZ mags are kinda of expensive.... but. Cheaper gun, that I can't see my self not buying more of. and all the longer mags fit in any smaller gun.

so, 26 round mag, in a 75 compact... good times.

burningsquirrels
August 7, 2008, 09:44 AM
it's just the sp-01 mags that are bad. the standard 16 rounders are reasonable at 15-20.

strat81
August 7, 2008, 04:35 PM
SP-01 mags are too rich for my blood. I keep the originals in the nighstand and I use standard CZ-75 mags from Mec-Gar for the range. I don't miss the three rounds at the range. I just got some this week from Brownell's for less than $20 ea.

burningsquirrels
August 7, 2008, 11:21 PM
we drop the mags all the time in ipsc. they hold up very well.

hags
August 7, 2008, 11:35 PM
I have had -0- failures in some 5000+ rounds....except when using Blazer aluminum cased rounds. In checking with other CZ'ers, that is not an unheard of issue.

Yes, I've experienced stovepipes with the Blazer ammo. It's ammo related and even with the stock recoil spring in my SA it happens on occasion. I also get some with my SP-01 as well.
The ammo is underpowered and I believe occasionally "short strokes" the slide.
I would/have change ammo or just be aware that it's not an issue with the gun.

Aka Zero
August 8, 2008, 09:33 AM
Where can these $15-20 16 round mags be found....?

burningsquirrels
August 8, 2008, 09:34 AM
cdnninvestments.com

Aka Zero
August 9, 2008, 06:16 PM
cool. out of stock though..... maybe by next paycheck they will have about...4 of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my first pistol. CZ75b-SA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!