Venezualan 7.62x51

PDA

marktx
August 2, 2008, 09:00 PM
Ran across four boxes of Venezuelan 7.62x51 NATO at a gun shop today for $12.50 a box. Bought it because I like unique stuff but really don't know anything about it. It came is the usual small 20 round military boxes that are green with CAVIM and some other random lot info printed on them, date on the bottom of the box is 13 Feb 1991. Head stamp is CAVIM 91.

Anybody have experience with this stuff? I have plenty of other ammo to shoot but am kind of curious to know if it's good/bad/average.

On edit: just tried searching for CAVIM rather than Venezuela and found a few other threads. Still interested in any info that might be out there :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Venezualan 7.62x51" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
August 2, 2008, 09:20 PM
I was buying it in 1000 round case lots for $149.00 plus shipping in 1994/95. Was good ammo and boxer primed. I'm still reloading the cases and still have 1 unopened case. Its times like this that makes me feel sorry for anyone thats not me!

Onmilo
August 2, 2008, 11:13 PM
It comes from the land of Hugo Chavez,,,,,,,,
Enough said.

TexasRifleman
August 2, 2008, 11:14 PM
It comes from the land of Hugo Chavez,,,,,,,,
Enough said.

If we're gonna stop buying from countries that hate us the list of sources is going to be very short indeed :)

Onmilo
August 2, 2008, 11:23 PM
List is already short.
The Government decided no more surplus ammo imports.
This is why what is available on the retail market costs $12.50 a box for garbage ammo.

TexasRifleman
August 2, 2008, 11:26 PM
List is already short.
The Government decided no more surplus ammo imports.
This is why what is available on the retail market costs $12.50 a box for garbage ammo.

Yeah I know... sick isn't it? :(

I don't disagree with you I just want my 12 cent a round .308 back again :)

MMCSRET
August 2, 2008, 11:38 PM
The Cavim you find on the market today was in this country long before we ever heard of Chavez. Also, speaking of Dictators that didn't like us: We loved all those 1909 Argentine Mausers we sucked up while Juan Peron was El Presidente For Life!!!!

ftierson
August 2, 2008, 11:42 PM
The CAVIM 7.62x51mm ammo is known to have somewhat soft cases compared to much of the other surplus out there...

1991 dated CAVIM should be boxer primed, and it is non-corrosive.

I have shot a bunch of the 1991 dated stuff and have had very good luck with it.

I would buy a bunch more if the price was right...

Forrest

Gator
August 2, 2008, 11:44 PM
I have gone through a bunch of CAVIM and found it very good. This was all pre-Hugo ammo!

MMCSRET
August 3, 2008, 12:05 AM
Mine was all fired in bolt guns and I'm on my 10th loading for some of the cases with Fl sizing and trimming a couple of times, better service than I've had out of some Lake City cases.

marktx
August 3, 2008, 01:10 AM
Part of the reason I bought it was because Venezuelan ammo is really unlikely to become more available in the future. Cuban cigars are also my smoke of choice when traveling in Europe and Asia. Have a couple SKS's that were probably made when Stalin was in charge and a bunch of South African ammo from when apartheid was the law of the land. Sometimes jerks just happen to make good stuff...... oh well

I was buying it in 1000 round case lots for $149.00 plus shipping in 1994/95. Was good ammo and boxer primed. I'm still reloading the cases and still have 1 unopened case. Its times like this that makes me feel sorry for anyone thats not me!

I have been buying cases of South African surplus for $450 delivered and have been pretty happy with that price. I know it was 1/4 the price back then but so was gas and Berkshire Hathaway. Can't really do much about it though. No doubt that in 10 years we will be sorry for those poor suckers paying $2 a round.

rangerruck
August 3, 2008, 01:32 AM
Loooooovvvvee it!!!! Proly made before Chavez was a gleam in his daddy's pants, the venez stuff, was proly made with Nazi approved specs, and Nazi designed and built machinery. I got match quality targeting and repeatability with it, while shooting a parker/Hale 308 ultralite. 'Chef recommends'....

MMCSRET
August 3, 2008, 10:34 AM
Berkshire Hathaway? Whathahel?

Onmilo
August 3, 2008, 11:22 AM
Stalin and the South Africans didn't help make gasoline and diesel $4-$5 a gallon here and neither did the Chinese,,,,,,,,,,
I have my reasons for my embargo on Veni junk ammo.

SlamFire1
August 3, 2008, 12:53 PM
I was buying it in 1000 round case lots for $149.00 plus shipping in 1994/95

I purchased a case of the stuff. Long before Hugo Wacko became President for life.

Tested it in several rifles. It shot horribly. The bullets were not that accurate. And it was way too fast for my service rifles. I consider a 150 FMJ a good load when it is just at 2700 fps, or a little more, in my M1a. This stuff was moving closer to 2900 fps.

However the brass is fine, and I am using for practice.

M1a, Douglas 1:10 barrel

150 gr CAVIM 90

Ave Vel = 2893
Std Dev = 9
ES = 28
Low = 2879
High = 2907
N = 10

If you enjoyed reading about "Venezualan 7.62x51" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!