How much bbl length in .223 does it take for a complete burn?

PDA

Mylhouse
August 31, 2003, 12:54 AM
Generally speaking, of course!

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "How much bbl length in .223 does it take for a complete burn?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gary H
August 31, 2003, 01:15 AM
The degree to which the powder burns is dependent on virtually every parameter that defines the gun-cartridge. We are at least talking, primer design, powder burn rate, powder density, powder weight, bullet weight, crimp (or more likely lack of crimp), barrel length and in a more micro sense.. barrel angle, ambient temperature.. perhaps powder age, your astrological sign. I suspect that incomplete burning is more of a problem with handguns.

You might want to suggest a powder, load and bullet weight.

Mylhouse
August 31, 2003, 01:23 AM
OK, lets say a 62gr Sierra MK over 25gr or so of Varget, and a Federal GMM primer (I'm not sure if it takes mag primers or standard....your choice)

John Ross
August 31, 2003, 12:51 PM
Go to

http://www.john-ross.net/suggestload.htm

for a program that will allow you to see the effect of different barrel lengths on ANY cartridge's velocity.

JR

C.R.Sam
August 31, 2003, 02:19 PM
And...
Differences in striker energy will measurably affect rate of primer ignition, and thus rate of powder ignition.

Oodles n oodles of variables.

Sam

Dave R
September 1, 2003, 01:30 AM
Judging from the size of the fireball coming out of my SAR-3, with several different loads of IMR 4198 and H335, I would have to say that 16 point something is NOT LONG ENOUGH.

redneck2
September 1, 2003, 08:54 AM
I read in Handloader that most or all of the powder burns in the first few inches of the barrel (the reason among others that throats burn out). They've don very extensive tests with very sophisticated equipment.

If this is true, how can you get unburned powder out the end of the barrel on some loads???

C.R.Sam
September 1, 2003, 03:52 PM
Most is not all.
Sometimes not by a long shot.

Sam

LAH
September 6, 2003, 03:49 PM
An old article I read in Guns & Ammo by Bob Mikel about Contender single shots said, and please don't quote me as this has been 20 years or so ago, the 14 inch barrel lenght worked fine for the 222 but not for the 223. Perhaps someone else remembers the article.

Double Naught Spy
September 6, 2003, 03:55 PM
If you are getting flash outside the barrel, then you are not getting complete burn within the barrel.

Mike Irwin
September 6, 2003, 05:25 PM
For COMPLETE combustion of all powder?

Anywhere between 8 and 10 feet, IIRC.

Gordon
September 7, 2003, 01:09 AM
Heres what I got: 10.5" Xp-100 .223 3 foot fireball with Win white box, 10.5" XM177-NO fire ball with ball(these are illeagal , however) in the service in 1970, 16" HK93 -very little fireball out of flash hider, 20 Colt AR-15 early prong flashhider hardly any flash , cage a little ball. 24" mod 700V - 6" fireball. Velocity 2700-3200 depending on barrel length ( with 55grain white box ball)

Black Snowman
September 7, 2003, 11:15 AM
As you can somewhat infer from Gordon's post the action effects the barrel lenght as well. With a gas opporated action, like for an AR-15, there is a lot of extra volume diverted in addition to what's propelling the round.

The good news is that it's possible to find a nearly "ideal" round for just about any gun regardless of barrel lenth but adjusting all of the cartridge variables. Shorter barrel will likely work better with a lighter bullet and faster powder, etc . . .

Mike Irwin
September 7, 2003, 01:30 PM
A fireball out the end of the muzzle isn't necessarily a sign of burning powder. It is as likely to be incandescent gas.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much bbl length in .223 does it take for a complete burn?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!