New Member With a Webley MK VI Question.

PDA

Planter
August 2, 2008, 09:05 PM
I have been visiting here on and off for some time. I have always enjoyed the discussions and have also gleaned a lot of good information.

I have an opportunity to buy a .455 Webley Mk VI which is described as follows:
"Good overall condition. Replacement grips. Darkish bore with good sharp rifling. Slight slop in action, comes with Simplex 7/8" dies & some empty cases. Serial No. 409344."

I emailed the dealer about the 'slight slop' and received this reply:
"The action is a top break with the locking/opening latch coming over the rear extension of the top strap. There is about 0.0025" play between the top of the top strap and the bottom of the latch. I do not have any previous experience with this make/type of pistol so don't know how much play would normally be there but I would expect it to be minimal. I imagine that it could be repaired if required but do not know if it adversely affects its operation or safety."

The gun is some distance from me but I could have a relative check it over. Thoughts on the condition as described and any other 'what to look for' advice would be appreciated.

These are pics from the seller:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/tango4c/Webley_RH_Large.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/tango4c/Webley_LH_Large.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New Member With a Webley MK VI Question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Just Jim
August 2, 2008, 09:12 PM
How much is he asking??

jj

Planter
August 2, 2008, 10:13 PM
$604 and small change in US Dollars.

What do you think about the play in the latch?

MikeJackmin
August 2, 2008, 10:53 PM
I'm no expert, but I am a little surprised at the lack of visible markings on this gun. Brit guns are usually full of proofs, inscriptions, and various numbers stamped all over the place.

The dull, uniform color suggests it has been refinished. The cylinder does not look to be shaved, suggesting it is still in the original .455 caliber, which is good. The screw heads are unmarred (also good) and it lacks the drop safety required for recent import (good, but don't drop it).

Do the numbers match? Are the chambers smooth? Does the extractor snap back nicely into position as the gun reaches the fully opened position?

I don't really know the significance of the latch play, sorry.

Sunray
August 3, 2008, 03:25 AM
"...0.0025"..." That's 2.5 thousands of an inch. 12 pound bond paper is that thick. Nothing to worry about.
"...the lack of visible markings..." Agreed, but you can just make out some kind of markings on the left side picture. I'd bet it has been refinished though.
$604 is ugly, but there are others on-line at $775 to $795. Lotta money for a revolver that you may not be able to get ammo for.

Planter
August 3, 2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks for all of your responses.

Discussions with the dealer confirm that it has been refinished. He has also confirmed matching numbers on barrel, cylinder and frame. It is also marked F.A over 10.37 on the backstrap and below that there are some other stampings that have been over-stamped resulting in all being unreadable.

I believe Fiocchi are producing .455 cartridges and brass is definitely available from Bertram in Australia.

Edit: Searched around and found this regarding ammo availability: US http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=167595&t=11082005 Wesfire is the Australian distributor..

If you enjoyed reading about "New Member With a Webley MK VI Question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!