Beretta 1934 Conversion

PDA

Gunnerpalace
August 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
My father is getting his CCW and stated that he planned to carry his Beretta 1934, his only issue is that you must pull the hammer (Single Action) before firing the first round and he wanted me to ask if it is possible to get a conversion done for Double Action use? Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 1934 Conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
berettaprofessor
August 3, 2008, 11:38 AM
Not that I've ever seen or heard of.

VHinch
August 3, 2008, 11:52 AM
Can it be done? Probably, as most anything can, but it would require a ridiculous amount of both time and money.

NG VI
August 3, 2008, 12:00 PM
It would be much cheaper to just buy a different gun for carry.

rcmodel
August 3, 2008, 12:42 PM
1. The only way to really safely carry it is hammer down on a empty chamber.

2. It's springs are at least 70 years old, and ain't getting any younger.

3. It's a 20+ ounce .32 or .380 ACP.

They were good old guns, but not at all what one thinks of for a modern CCW weapon!

Talk to him and convince him it's time to retire the Beretta and buy something modern for his CCW gun.

rcmodel

NG VI
August 3, 2008, 12:53 PM
Maybe he could upgrade to a PX4 subcompact? Still a Beretta, about the same weight, can't be all that much bulkier, significantly more juice, probably holds more, can be carried in a ready status, tons of great reasons to go with a new subcompact or compact auto over the (admittedly cool) antique Beretta.

Gunnerpalace
August 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
PX4 subcompact

I'll try that, he also expressed interest in either a Springfield Micro 1911 or a Glock 26, the only issue is he does not want to spend the money.

NG VI
August 3, 2008, 03:17 PM
G26/27 is a very good CC pistol, I find the low profile smooth slide makes it far easier to conceal and far more comfortable than you would expect by the Glock's "clunky" reputation. Plus for some reason they shoot better than would be expected, and the finish is highly resistant to corrosion and wear. A good, durable choice, with unlimited holster and accessory options. If he is LEO or military/maybe retired military firefighter emt he can get their LEO discount. 398 for a stock small frame glock.

6_gunner
August 3, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'll admit that I'm not intimately familiar with the Beretta 1934, but I'm under the impression that it has a fairly positive and dependable safety. Why not carry it chambered with the safety on?

True, there are probably better options for a ccw piece, but I would feel adequately armed with one of those little .380s.

Storm
August 4, 2008, 12:01 PM
Talk to him and convince him it's time to retire the Beretta and buy something modern for his CCW gun.

Bond had a hard time giving up his Beretta as well. Maybe it's time for a PPK. :D

rcmodel
August 4, 2008, 03:21 PM
Why not carry it chambered with the safety on?The goofy 180 degree safety takes two hands to operate, and only locks the sear, not the hammer.
It would be way faster to rack the slide & load it.

And the gun has no semblance of a drop safety, or firing pin block.

rcmodel

Billy Shears
August 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'd have to concur with the majority opinion here. It's an obsolete design in a marginal caliber, with poor ergonomics and probably won't reliably feed modern hollowpoint ammunition.

If it's all he's got, it's certainly better than nothing until he can get something better, but he really should get something better.

And you can pretty much forget about converting it to double action. Mechanically, it probably could be done, but you'd have to commission a very skilled gunsmith to do it as a one-off job, and you'd pay a fortune. Cheaper by far, and better, just to get a more modern pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 1934 Conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!