Cold Steel Blades

PDA

Master of Arms
August 3, 2008, 07:39 PM
I had my doubts initially about those "Cold Steel" informercials but I finally broke down and bought a few. I got a "roach belly" single blade knife with sheath and was so happy that I ordered a machete. If you guys have been thinking about it, buy one.

The machete is unlike any that I`ve had before. After putting a little better edge on it, I used it around my home and wow did it do the job. It didn`t even seem real. It was like having a light saber or something.LOL:D

The roach belly knife was very, very sharp right out of the box.

Have any of you guys tried the Cold Steel products?

Any suggestions on any more quality blades?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cold Steel Blades" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
acmax95
August 3, 2008, 07:55 PM
I am glad to hear you like the roach belly knife, I have one as well as a Finn Bear on the way. I had heard good things about Cold steel in the past and wanted to try them out. I will have to look into the machete.

MadMercS55
August 3, 2008, 08:48 PM
I've been using CS products for years. Some are great, others good, and some suck. Their recent lineup has alot of nice variety to it though. I really like their Recon-1 folders and Voyagers. The Trailmaster and Khukri aren't too bad either.

highorder
August 3, 2008, 08:51 PM
I have used my SRK (Carbon V) for years with satisfaction.

alemonkey
August 3, 2008, 09:08 PM
I have a Master Hunter made from Carbon-V that I bought probably 15 years ago, and it's a great knife. Holds an edge like you wouldn't believe. I think I heard they don't make them in Carbon-V anymore, and I have no experience with the new ones. I can testify that the older models are excellent though.

Dave McCracken
August 3, 2008, 09:17 PM
The Recon Tanto and 4" Voyager here are very good knives. The MiniTac, a discontinued model, is a decent low profile FB.

The Kukri machete in the truck is a good chopper. All of these are good value for the money.

But, I doubt we'll ever get anything else from CS. About two years back, Daughter wanted to get me one of the new Spikes. Despite it being featured in the catalog, we waited for five months for delivery. Finally we cancelled the order after trying to substitute another new knife and being told it too was "Backordered".

CS products are not bad for the most part. CS Shuck and Jive is bad. Our money will go elsewhere.

Wolfman_556
August 3, 2008, 09:33 PM
Cold Steel doesn't offer knives in Carbon V anymore because it was produced for them by Camillus, and Camillus is gone.

22-rimfire
August 3, 2008, 09:39 PM
Some of the Cold Steel blades have a lot of appeal to me. I like the trailmaster and the Japanese blades they offer. Have one of their swords that are okay for my needs. I just pick the sword up and smile... that is probably its best attribute. May just have to try one of their machetes.

I like the SOG blades a lot. Try a few out you won't be let down. Some of the older SOGs were made with Carbon V steel back around 1990 or so. I prefer them to the current crop of their big knives, but the Japanese steels are very good that they use. I'm no steel expert. They hold and fine edge and last with use.

wheelgunslinger
August 3, 2008, 10:21 PM
I have a CS trail hawk that I like a lot.
I have a CS smatchet that someone gave me, and it's kinda cool. Haven't used it much.

maxxwilde
August 3, 2008, 10:42 PM
But, I doubt we'll ever get anything else from CS. About two years back, Daughter wanted to get me one of the new Spikes. Despite it being featured in the catalog, we waited for five months for delivery. Finally we cancelled the order after trying to substitute another new knife and being told it too was "Backordered".

Been using cold steel for years. I recently tried to order their new Double Agent. I also added a spike to the order cause I've been wanting one. Well, the spike arrived but the double agent is forever backorderedLOL
The Spikes a good little knife, though. Slim, sharp and light.

M

hso
August 3, 2008, 11:14 PM
Have any of you guys tried the Cold Steel products?

Some love them and some hate them and some just think of them as just another knife company.

I wouldn't order directly from Cold Steel when there are plenty of discount dealers out there.

The Tourist
August 3, 2008, 11:22 PM
Use care in making purchases. I bought one a few months ago and it's one of the best knives I've owned. Others...

Wolfman_556
August 3, 2008, 11:26 PM
I've owned a CS Rifleman's Tomahawk since early 1994 and a CS Master Tanto (san mai III) since 2000. They've both been good products.

The only other laminated stainless knife I own is a Fallkniven Njord and it is superior to the CS Master Tanto (in both performance and appearance IMO) but I reckon you get what you pay for. The tanto is still a pretty good blade for the price I think. The only thing I don't like about it is the kraton handle. I'd rather it be in micarta but that can be changed. I got the tanto N.I.B. off ebay for a really good price so I can't complain. The difference is I consider the Fallkniven Njord to be possibly the finest medium-sized all-around hunting/outdoors knife in my collection and the CS Master Tanto to be more of a combat knife.

I also have a CS 1796 Light Cavalry Saber. It's a bit on the heavy side but it's sharp and very tough.

I wish Lynn didn't overhype his products so much and simply let them speak for themselves. CS does offer some good blades for the $, but the company propaganda likely turns many people off from them.

neviander
August 3, 2008, 11:44 PM
My uncle, who's a cop, turned me to Cold Steel a long time ago. I've never actually purchased anything Cold Steel, but from all reports, they are a solid company, with quality products.

TimboKhan
August 4, 2008, 12:00 AM
I have a cheapie CS Kukhri that I have been perfectly satisfied with, although to be fair it has thus far been used mostly as a backscratcher, with occasional tree-limb whacking. For 17 bucks, I got a Kukri that is nothing if not utilitarian. I like it.

As far as other CS products, eh. I have nothing against CS, except for Lynn Thompson's seemingly unquenchable desire to wear short-shorts. I just don't care for the bulk of their knives from an aesthetic point of view.

JTW Jr.
August 4, 2008, 12:02 AM
from all reports, they are a solid company, with quality products.

That's a new one on me . Solid company ? perhaps do a search on Bladeforums on Cold Steal.

Roach Belly appears to be a knock off of a Ken Brock Custom if you ask me ( or Ken ) :)

Arkady
August 4, 2008, 01:58 AM
Cold Steel makes passable knives.

I've broken the locking mechanism on two Recon 1 folders, and I've seen several of the Ti-Lites come back to my local dealer. I'm not overly enthusiastic about my CS Kukri, either.

My Recon Tanto, on the other hand, has been a very solid knife for over five years of constant use, and the kobun I had was a great knife, but a deploying friend wanted it more than I did--I hope it's serving him well.

Kershaw makes a good knife for the money, and I like the SOG knives. I have a Pentagon Elite folder that I can not kill, and I don't think ANYTHING I am likely to encounter can destroy a Seal/Seal Pup.

On the opposite end of the price spectrum, I have been carrying a CRKT M16Z daily for 6 years, and it still locks up like the day I bought it.

Geno
August 4, 2008, 03:31 AM
I have the Recon Scout:

http://www.coldsteel.com/39lrs.html

It has been a great knife. Mine is about 8 or so years old. It holds a nice edge.

Irwin
August 4, 2008, 04:36 AM
+1 on the roach belly, though my only gripe is that the handles a little 2 small for my hands, but supprisingly for a £10 knife it was sharper out the box than my henkel or my worstofs. Think my next knife will be a fin bear or possible a mora as everyone here seems to show pictures of them every 5 seconds and tempting me:D Irwin

ray_ray
August 4, 2008, 07:42 AM
I EDC the CS Ti-lite 4" for selfdefense only but i love many of thier knives.

mole
August 4, 2008, 08:56 AM
Some are great, others good, and some suck. That's been our experience as well, and let me tell you when they suck ---they really suck.

SlamFire1
August 4, 2008, 10:59 AM
My first Cold Steel knife was a 4" Voyager, and I was very happy with it. I was quite impressed with how light it was, and how good the blade was.

Cold Steel has an extremely varied product line, you can buy very cheap knives, and you get what you paid for, you can buy inexpensive knives, and you often get a little more than you paid for, and you can buy their very expensive knives. I have a number of the high end knives and they are excellent.

The Trailmaster series of knives are an excellent big bowie knife. I have a Cold Steel Trailmaster (AUS 6) , a Hattori Bowie (AUS 6), and a Fallkniven Thor (VG-1). After examining these knives it is apparent that the Hattori and the Fallkniven are made in the same factory. I also think, based on blade shape, blade construction, materials, and hilt, that it is probable that the stainless and san mai Trailmasters are made at the same factory.

The cold steel special forces shovel is a great gardening tool. Used mine in root chopping and digging out in rocky soil and it has held up well.

I recently purchased a Roach Belly and the Canadian Belt knife. For the money you get a good knife. I am using them in the kitchen, they work well.

Master of Arms
August 4, 2008, 01:05 PM
There are a ton of Cold Steel blades on ebay for some pretty good prices.

Browning
August 4, 2008, 01:48 PM
Their machetes, axes and lower priced knives like the Finn Bear seem like pretty good deals, but when I could buy something from Ontario or Fallkniven for the same price as some of their medium grade/priced knives (Like the SRK) then that's when I think that they're WAY overpriced.

Master of Arms
August 4, 2008, 02:12 PM
My roachbelly knife will shave my face and it came out of the box that way. It holds an edge like nothing else. The machete seems magical. Seriously. I don`t know why because I`m not really that knowledgable on knives. My friend has a Huuuuuge collection of knives. I helped him look up the prices on a few. I don`t remember the names of them but they were expensive to say the least. He was also surprised at the blades from cold steel. His expertise is pretty much all I have to go on. That`s why I asked if there are better knives that are reasonably priced.

SlamFire1
August 4, 2008, 02:31 PM
I could buy something from Ontario or Fallkniven for the same price as some of their medium grade/priced knives (Like the SRK) then that's when I think that they're WAY overpriced.

Cold Steel catalog prices are high for a reason. The catalog is advertizing, but they really don't want you to buy a knife direct. They want you to buy a knife from a Cold Steel Distributor. Like the ones on Ebay. It makes sense if you think of it, they sell more knives to distributors, are not in competition with their distributors, and the distributors take the risk if certain brand types don't sell well.

When I compared Ebay prices on knives, between SOG, Cold Steel, etc, prices are not that different. In fact, Fallkniven knives are pretty high everywhere I looked. Same with Hattori. Which makes sense, since I believe Fallkniven knives are made by Hattori.

auschip
August 4, 2008, 03:30 PM
Well, when you don't have to pay design fees ...

Browning
August 4, 2008, 06:13 PM
Cold Steel catalog prices are high for a reason. The catalog is advertizing, but they really don't want you to buy a knife direct. They want you to buy a knife from a Cold Steel Distributor. Like the ones on Ebay. It makes sense if you think of it, they sell more knives to distributors, are not in competition with their distributors, and the distributors take the risk if certain brand types don't sell well.

They're overpriced at the distributors too.

On their higher end knives, actually Fallkniven is less in price than CS on some of them.

Cold Steel Natchez Bowie Our Price $376.95
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8965

Fallkniven Oden, 7.87" Blade Our Price $326.95
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2809

Usually though they're about the same price, given that choice I'd much rather buy and carry a Fallkniven than a CS if I'm paying the exact same price. Even if I had to pay more for a Fallkniven over a CS I'd do it.

To me CS is usually decent, but nothing special.

When I compared Ebay prices on knives, between SOG, Cold Steel, etc, prices are not that different. In fact, Fallkniven knives are pretty high everywhere I looked. Same with Hattori. Which makes sense, since I believe Fallkniven knives are made by Hattori.

I thought that they were manufactured in Germany by Linder-Solingen.

That's what I've read on their site and other places anyway.

SlamFire1
August 5, 2008, 10:12 AM
I think a fairer price comparison would be between knives that are similar. The Natchez Bowie is huge, totally different knife than the Oden. A good comparison between Fallkniven, Hattori, and Cold Steel would be between the Trail master, and the copies/variants that Fallkniven and Hattori offer.

The Thor is advertized as a half inch longer, held side by side, the difference in blade grinds and length are insignificant. The Thor is the exact same width, height, grind as a stainless Trailmaster. Only the handles are different. The Hattori copy of is the exact blade dimensions and profile, but hollow ground and has the same leather handle as the Thor.

My Thor does not have a country of origin stamped on the knife, nor does the box. I could not find a statement of manufacturer on the Fallkniven web site. (Help Please!) I would think if it was Swedish or German made, that would be a attribute that would help sell the knife. It is my opinion that Fallkniven goes not stamp the knife, "Made in Japan" because that conflicts with thier Nordic/Viking image. (Imagine a burley Viking eating fish heads and rice with chop sticks!)

Cold Steel Trailmaster, San Mai, $269.95

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=429

http://www.knifeworks.com/ProductImages/coldsteel/cs16jsm.jpg

Fallkniven Thor 10” Blade, $354.95

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2407

http://www.knifeworks.com/ProductImages/fallkniven/fnnl1.jpg

Hattori Big Bowie Hunter II $299.95

http://www.worldknives.com/products/hattori-special-huge-bowie-knife-hat1602-1627.html

http://www.worldknives.com/images/dynamic/products_1627_1_large.jpg

Much better pictures: http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/Hattori160-2BigBowieHunterII.html

Browning
August 5, 2008, 11:04 AM
I think a fairer price comparison would be between knives that are similar. The Natchez Bowie is huge, totally different knife than the Oden.

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/fallkniven/images/FK-NL2EL.jpg
It's one of the biggest Bowie type knives that Fallkniven makes.

http://knifeoutlet.com/shop/products/cs16absj.jpg
It's the biggest Bowie type knife that CS makes.

Browning
August 6, 2008, 12:06 PM
Well that was lame, instead of going out into left field just stick to the topic.

Now the OP has two huge pics of boats on his thread.

3 gun
August 7, 2008, 12:11 AM
CS hits the mark pretty close to the point of diminishing return with their products. The hype is kinda funny and hard to take at times but the knives are a pretty solid tool. You can buy better knives but it will cost you.

Master of Arms
August 7, 2008, 12:17 AM
Don`t care `bout the pics. I like a little humor. Seems that this site could use a little more of the same. Too many grouches. LOLOL

neviander
August 7, 2008, 12:32 AM
That's a new one on me . Solid company ? perhaps do a search on Bladeforums on Cold Steal.
I hadn't read anything on there about Cold Steel..Steal, I'll take a look though.

August 7, 2008, 02:17 AM
I like the Cold Steel Kobun and carry it everyday IWB. I've tried a few other fixed blades like the RAT3 but the Kobun just works better.

Aka Zero
August 7, 2008, 09:05 AM
Have a few cs knives. 4" ti-lite zytel used to be my edc knife. until I got addicted to lock backs.

Have a kukri machete. And I have to say, you can't spend $15 (or $20 now) on anything more useful. Good steel, thin edge that can get shaving sharp (with some work) pretty good sheath.

Have a 24" machete as well, just as good, but a little long for chopping use. Had a Kobun, got rid of it, I don't like hollow ground fixed blades. Have a couple Kudu's which is a great, cheap fairly hard use knife, if you can find them in stock. And I have a talon spike, which can be a very comfortable edc knife with some paracord or shoelace. And it gets crazy sharp. It was sharp enough to past a "hanging hair test" and only a few of my knifes can do that after about 30 mins work. This did it almost out of the box.

Harlan
August 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
Cold Steel hmmm... When it comes to that company its more of a moral grounds than a price issue. Stolen names, designs and mystery steels. I'll stick with the american companies to start with, and or companies that will advertise what steel they are using. And if i'm going to by some cheap junk for heavy abuse it will be from a local outdoor supplier that has a box full of machetes with no brand stamped on them. Bought one of those five years ago for 7.99 with nice orange ABS D guard (didn't need a better edge from the store) and has cleared mountain bike trails chopped down trees and no complaints it has lost about have and inch from sharpening.

JTW Jr.
August 7, 2008, 10:29 PM
well said Harlan.

Master of Arms
August 8, 2008, 12:22 AM
How do you steal the name bowie? Many type and shaped knives have names. I mean a straight razor is a straight razor just like a Bowie is a Bowie.
Point being, I couldn`t care less about the name. All I know is that my knives are great. I`ve had many others but nothing like these cold steel knives. They`re great blades and apparently they`re made from great steel. I don`t think that you could stab the hood of a car several times and then shave hair with an Old Timer or a Case. Of course I`ve never tried so my theory is just that....theory.

I would also guess to say that just as many other "American made" products, the materials are made in another country and brought to America to be Assembled so that they can slap the " American Made" tag on the product.

JTW Jr.
August 8, 2008, 02:00 AM
All I know is that my knives are great. I`ve had many others but nothing like these cold steel knives.

Cold Steel ? Great ? More like mediocre over hyped knives at best.:barf:

Curious to know what "others" you have had that you are comparing them to ?

the materials are made in another country and brought to America to be Assembled so that they can slap the " American Made" tag on the product

Wrong .
Cold Steel doesn't manufacture anything...they have them made elsewhere , all they do is market using crazy mall ninja like antics.
There is nothing "American" about Cold Steel Knives.

SlamFire1
August 8, 2008, 04:32 PM
Cold Steel doesn't manufacture anything

Bogus argument. What about SOG, Fallkniven, do they make all their knives inhouse? How many are made inhouse? Which knife brands are totally made inhouse?

There are very few knife manufacturers left in the US, and those left don’t make many knives. Like Randall. When Camillus closed, I saw Case branded knives in the inventory. Even Case outsources. Buck outsources to China.

There are in fact, very few manufacturers of anything. Most of the brand name products purchased today, were made by the same manufacturer, or three manufacturers. Just the label on the can is different.

For pet foods, see how many brands “Menu Foods” makes, and how many labeled items had to be recalled.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

Cat Food Recalls
Americas Choice, Preferred Pet
Authority
Best Choice
Blue Buffalo Co (RICE GLUTEN)
Cats Choice
Co-Op Gold
Companion
Compliments
Demolulas Market Basket
Demoulas/Market Basket
Despar
Diamond Pet Food (RICE GLUTEN)
Doctors Foster & Smith
Doctors Foster & Smith (RICE GLUTEN)
Eight In One Inc (Salmonella)
Eukanuba Cat Cuts and Flaked
Eukanuba Morsels in Gravy
Evolve
Evolve
Fame
Feline Classic
Feline Cuisine
Fine Feline Cat
Food Lion
Foodtown
Giant Companion
Giant Eagle
Hannaford
Harmony Farms (RICE GLUTEN)
Hartz Mountain Corp (Salmonella)
Health Diet Cat Food
Hill Country Fare
Hill's Prescription Diet
Hy Vee
Hy-Vee
Iams Cat Slices and Flakes
Iams Select Bites
J.E. Mondou
La Griffe
Laura Lynn
Li'l Red
Lick Your Chops
Lick Your Chops (RICE GLUTEN)
Loving Meals
Master Choice
Medi-Cal
Meijer's Main Choice
Natural Balance (RICE GLUTEN)
Natural Ultramix
Nu Pet
Nutriplan
Nutro
Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics
Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro Products
Paws
Performatrin Ultra
Pet Pride
Pet Pride / Good n Meaty
Pounce
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority Canada
Priority US
Publix
Roche Brothers
Roundy's
Royal Canin (RICE GLUTEN)
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet (RICE GLUTEN)
Save-A-Lot Special Blend
Schnucks
Science Diet Feline Cuts Adult
Science Diet Feline Cuts Kitten
Science Diet Feline Cuts Mature Adult 7+
Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Can
Sophistacat
Special Kitty Canada
Special Kitty US
Springfield Prize
Sprout
Stop & Shop Companion
Stuzzy Gold
Triumph
Wegmans
Weis Total Pet
Western Family Canada
Western Family US
White Rose
Winn Dixie

ArfinGreebly
August 8, 2008, 04:54 PM
Even Case outsources. Buck outsources to China.
Some.

Case still makes their own stuff. Maybe not all of it, but certainly a lot.

Buck still makes their own stuff. I live across town from the factory. Yes, they outsource (offshore) some of their stuff. Not all. Not even most.

Kershaw makes many (possibly most) of its knives in the US. Some are made in Japan (and have been for decades) and some are made in Taiwan and/or China. But their flagship pieces are made here and Japan.

Cold Steel? I haven't been tracking them, so I don't know how much of their stuff is made Stateside. I'm aware that several items are imported.

Gerber has taken, I would imagine, most of their stuff to China/Taiwan. Early production runs were trash. I went off the Gerber brand quickly. Last year I picked up (for cheap) a Gerber/Harsey design, made in China. The quality is coming back. I'm still mad at them, but I kept the knife.

If the point is "well, everybody does it" then I would point out that, for those companies that do, not all imports are manufactured to the same standards. Whoever is making stuff for Buck is doing a darn fine job.

U.S. Classics and Rough Rider are surprisingly good. Kershaw's stuff holds their standard.

Some of the imported stuff? Real junk.

I would caution buyers that they need to pay attention to the quality demanded or imposed by the "client company" when they have their stuff made overseas. I no longer worry about the Buck and Kershaw imports. I'm not happy that they feel they need to outsource to compete, but I'm glad they ride herd on the factory to keep the quality up.

Nowadays I proceed on a case-by-case, brand-by-brand basis.

In the fifties and sixties, it was "common knowledge" that the stuff out of Japan was junk. We took that for granted. We laughed. We scoffed.

And they proceeded to kick our quality-control butts across a broad range of industries. "Japanese" became synonymous with "high quality."

Yes, I continue to support, where I can, the US makers.

I'm not, however, gonna laugh at China.

Once was enough.

ashtxsniper
August 8, 2008, 05:01 PM
I like Cold Steel especially the old Carbon V models. Here are some of mine.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/cashtxsniper/100_1412.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/cashtxsniper/100_1291.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/cashtxsniper/100_1293.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/cashtxsniper/100_1310.jpg

woodfiend
August 8, 2008, 05:23 PM
Quote:
the materials are made in another country and brought to America to be Assembled so that they can slap the " American Made" tag on the product

I hate to tell you this but they don't claim to make their products in the USA. Except for their custom pieces (which are). And in addition, they are the only company that does show what their knives can do. Sure, other companies probably could do the same but you can't be sure. I own a Mini Bushman, Trail Guide, SRK, Ghurka Kukri, Finn Bear, Urban Pal, Norse Hawk and have owned a couple of their machetes.

SlamFire1
August 8, 2008, 06:32 PM
Cold Steel? I haven't been tracking them, so I don't know how much of their stuff is made Stateside. I'm aware that several items are imported.

Camillus made all the knives with the "Carbon V" steel. They did just an outstanding job of heat treatment and their Carbon V knives are recognized as fine pieces. Camillus also made Bullet knives for Remington.

However when Camillus went bust, that was the last of the American made Cold Steel knives.

The costs of the same model of knives, but now built in China, halved or went down by a third.

As much as many want American made products, few are willing to pay double for them. :(

Harlan
August 9, 2008, 02:28 PM
In my earlier post the name stealing I was refering to was the American Tomahawk Company. That is not just the general term for a knife like "straight razor".

Thats the thing about cold steel you can have twice the collection you would have if you had purchased quality blades. Myself I would rather have three good reputable blades made with pride than fifty mediocre blades pumped out of some random factory with cost being main priority.

Another sad thing is this thought that no blades or very little are fully made in house or all american made.

First of all google custom knife makers hundreds will pop up some affordable some not so much. The first hardcore all american knife maker that pops in my head is Dozier knives for seriously heavy use that will last you a lifetime for decent prices. As for big companies being 100% in house a local one right here in Portland, OR is Kershaw. Some others that are mostly or all american made, A.G. Russell, Ontario Kinves (produces the Old Hickory and has wicked machetes), Gerber, Lonewolf, Bear and Son, and more supporting sad companies like cold steel only hurts these quality companies like Schrade who went out of business in 2004.

As most larger companies need to deliver to an ever cheapening american mentality they will have lines that are american made and other that are not. In addition to this being produced in China is a HUGE difference to being produced in Japan. Japan produces some quality steels and metal products, China and India not so much you never know what your going to get back from them doesn't matter if you told them what you want. I know this from working as an Industrail Designer and having products made over seas.

To some a blade is just a blade a chunk of steel, to me a knife is about soul, honor, pride, morals, workmanship, blood and sweat. The last knife I bought was from Kiko Matsuda steel was OU-31 and I don't care if it's the last knife I ever buy because it is timeless and will be passed down to my children.

T.R.
August 9, 2008, 08:57 PM
I bought 3 COLD STEEL knives and love 'em all:

- Master Hunter (Japan made) with carbon V steel

- Finn Bear (Taiwan made) great handle and impressive shape

- Classic 2 blade large folder (USA made) carbon V steel

I've been thinking about buying the roach belly and replacing the handle to stag or rosewood.

TR

Master of Arms
August 24, 2008, 09:02 AM
I wasn`t refering to Cold Steel when I made the statement about the materials being made in other countries and brought here to be assembled. I was speaking of most other knife products. I personally don`t care where the knife is made so long as the quality will at least match the quality of my Cold Steel Knives.

Just like with many other subjects here, many people think that if it`s not in the top 3 of most expensive it sux. Well, as with many other items as well,....wrong again. Cold Steel knives are of great quality and at a generally great price.

JTW Jr.
August 24, 2008, 12:19 PM
Cold Steel knives are of great quality

Remember veryone's standards for greatness are different. Passable quality at best in my eyes.

MadMercS55
August 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
I think most CS products are good for the price, if purchased at discount prices. I've found my voyager x2 and recon1 folders to be excellent values. I recently picked up a rajah 2 and again it is great for the $80 payed. There is a lot of politics with CS but in the end a lot of their stuff isn't all that bad.

50 Shooter
August 24, 2008, 02:58 PM
I have an original recon tanto with brass guard & pommel and a master tanto, both knives are really nice. I've never used either as I just wanted to add them to the collection of knives that I like.

About the only way I would get rid of the recon would be if someone offered a SOG Scuba Demo or one of Valkman's Fighters in trade.:D

alaskanativeson
August 26, 2008, 02:20 AM
I'll agree that some CS knives are really good quality while some are less so. They make some straight forward plain jane stuff and some really specialized things that can't have much use in the real world. Some of their simple things I do like: I've owned Trailmasters, SRKs, Recon Scouts, Recon Tantos, Twistmasters, Bird and Trouts, and Hai Hochos (now known as the K4 Neck Knife.) I've been pleased with the performance of all these I've listed.

The problem comes in when you look at things other than product quality. Lynn Thompson himself seems to have quite an ego and doesn't seem to have a copy of "How To Win Friends and Influence People" on his night stand. There's also the issue of the company blatantly stealing other knife designs without so much as a "by your leave" to the original. The R1 is clearly a Randall Model 1 direct copy, the Canadian Belt Knife is a Grohmann copy, the Twistmaster is an Opinel with a zytel handle. Some people are not bothered by this owing to either the idea that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, selling products that people want makes good business sense, or they don't know or care about this at all. I fall somewhere in between. I wouldn't own an R1 if someone gave it to me but I really like some of the other CS knives I have.

Norinco982lover
August 28, 2008, 09:47 AM
I worked for a Case store in Missouri. My boss actually went up and toured their factory and they made him a custom knife of his choice. He showed it to us and it was pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure most if not all Case knives are made in the USA. The Buck knives we sold in our store were TRASH. About 95% of our Buck knives were made in China.

Blofeld
August 28, 2008, 11:08 AM
My method is to buy one from a company, then abuse it beyond all warranty limitations, and if it performed, I'll get another.

I got a Finn Bear, and beat it mercilessly. Dug through shale, hacked trees, just general abuse. Cleaned it up, put an edge on it, and it was fine. Still, something about it just screamed "Ginsu" to me. I really can't put a finger on it, but I just didn't like this knife, despite the fact that it performed as advertised.

I've always felt that a knifemaker should have some knife skills, and I'd say Lynn Thompson does. While the videos are over the top, he displays better than average technique. Still, something makes me not trust him, and I can't put a finger on that either.

I would agree that some CS products are clearly superior to others, but I frankly don't have time to sift through the crap to find the gems.

I'd like to thank the forum, I was on the fence about the Ti-Lite, but I think I'll go with a Spyderco instead.

gripper
August 28, 2008, 03:34 PM
I've been carrying one of their Scimitar spikes for some time now. I got it and a plain edge K4 neck knife in the same order from knifecenter.com for about $40.00...hard to beat.
Despite the narrow hilt on the spike;the curve of it coupled with th esteel knob at the base gives me very good control no matter what grip I use.
It seems to be particularly well suited for a Pikal (edge in,outboard) position-changine over to edge out as you throw it like a hook or a cross.Point forward;pretty good as well-you can rreally put your palm behind it.The knob at th ebase gives you some utility for an impact tool.Yeah;I like Cold STeel.

Hawk
August 28, 2008, 06:05 PM
I remember Cold Steel product as generally servicable and that doesn't appear to have changed much - this thread made me curious enough to go look.

But I also remembered why I quit buying the stuff. The marketing was, shall we say, "frenetic". I always felt like I'd been dipped in Red Bull afterward.

It was sharp out of the box but so was Spyderco.

Some of the pricing seemed geared to someone that didn't know about alternatives. I recall their Camillus Khukri was way higher than anything Himalayan Imports had (and it's gotten worse with the San Mai trade named product). I don't care if San Mai III is the greatest thing evah, a khuk is "real" when the blade is pounded out of a truck spring and there's something mildly disquieting about the fake costing 4 to 6 times more than the real thing.

Everybody's priorities will be different but CS pricing on higher end fixed blades is too close to what one would pay for Chris Reeve or similar product. Magical San Mai notwithstanding my priorities would go with the CR product in that pricing ballpark.

I have no interest in ninja shovels or plastic spikes and most of the balance is done as well or better by others.

But, one could certainly do worse and it appears they've weathered the Camillus departure well. I'll stick with my mostly Spyderco stuff - it's more soothing marketing-wise and I like that full credit is given to the designers. As far as the khuks go, Yangdu is prettier than Lynn.

onebigelf
August 28, 2008, 08:14 PM
I have a Cold Steel spear that I love and I've taken two wild pigs with it. I have a Black Bear Classic that I think is one of the best fighting knives under $1000.

John

auschip
August 28, 2008, 08:34 PM
I have a Black Bear Classic that I think is one of the best fighting knives under $1000.

That's saying alot, considering you could buy a Randall for less then $1000. I find it hard to believe that a mass produced knife is better then a custom knife. Especially if the cost is equal or sometimes even less then the mass produced Cold Steal knife.

JTW Jr.
August 28, 2008, 09:15 PM
A Randall is NOT a custom knife , it is a production knife.

ArfinGreebly
August 28, 2008, 09:40 PM
For under $1,000?

Well, I'm from the poor side of the tracks, so I guess if I had to pick something in that range, I'd probably go with one of those cheap-n-cheesy things that Chris Reeves makes.

I know, I know, it would probably break in my hand.

Probably need to be sharpened all the time.

I guess that's the price of going cheap.

But, hey, when you're poor, whatcha gonna do?

auschip
August 28, 2008, 10:22 PM
A Randall is NOT a custom knife , it is a production knife.

Good point. I didn't mean to imply that they were, but in re-reading my post it did sound that way. I do think you would agree that there are several custom makers in the same price point as the Cold Steel Black Bear. Valkman, Voorhies, Horrigan, Spencer Reiter, and many others as an example.

Speaking of, What do you have on the bench JTW? Been doing any grinding lately?

JTW Jr.
August 28, 2008, 11:37 PM
I have not been in the shop since the beginning of June , I will have a batch of 25 blades heading to Paul Bos as soon as the heat breaks. :)

For the price of a Cold Steel Black Bear , you could have so much better from a custom maker like one of those you mentioned , and I would add Tom Krein , Lucas Burnley , and David Wesner to that list as well.

Valkman
August 28, 2008, 11:46 PM
Holy Moly it's hot out there! Now I know why JTW isn't out there. Wuss.

LOL

Please don't mention me in any thread with Tom K. in it - when I grow up I wanna have his Grind Monkey Baby! I wish he'd call so I could learn something! :D

Ah well, back out to the shop. :o

JTW Jr.
August 29, 2008, 01:07 AM
Hey Don , you go on and enjoy the heat... I will instead take a piece of earth , proned out on the 100 yard line with my rifles.

You grind... I shoot ;)

Griff
August 29, 2008, 10:53 PM
I can't decide if Cold Steel is more popular with schlubs like me who actually use their knives to cut stuff, (big +1 for the 4" Voyager) or with the experts who like to complain about them. Either way, I'm sure we'd all be happy to find out about somebody else who sells a fraction of the designs and configurations they supply. Maybe Condor Knife and Tool? http://www.condortk.com/index.php (oops, more o' them durn forners. oh, well...)

auschip
August 29, 2008, 11:30 PM
I can't decide if Cold Steel is more popular with schlubs like me who actually use their knives to cut stuff, (big +1 for the 4" Voyager) or with the experts who like to complain about them. Either way, I'm sure we'd all be happy to find out about somebody else who sells a fraction of the designs and configurations they supply. Maybe Condor Knife and Tool? http://www.condortk.com/index.php (oops, more o' them durn forners. oh, well...)

Benchmade would be a good place to start. CRKT also. I own, carry, and cut with knives from both of those makers. Then again, i'm not an expert. :neener:

JTW Jr.
August 30, 2008, 12:03 PM
Don't worry bud , I know you actually use your stuff.

It aint the experts who complain about them ( seeing as the real experts , must be the extremely educated Cold Steel fans hehe ), it is those that support the makers who's designs were ripped off by them , that speak out.

CS = mediocre knife at an almost decent price sold thru a marketing company and made by " insert lowest contractor overseas here ".

Griff
September 2, 2008, 09:37 PM
Now, don't get me wrong, folks; I dearly love my BM 800 AFCK, (720, 805; CRKT Crawford-Kasper, Spyderco Enduras and Dragonflys, SAK Locksmith, Ramber, Tinker, and Waiter, Buck 110, KaBar 7", Frosts Mora, Opinels, Cases, Kershaws, Gerbers, Tramontina machetes, etc etc etc) but don't want to lose one to TSA or damage them around the farm. Some of those are getting hard to find as it is.

I'll admit that I've never fondled a Sebenza, and honestly don't want to perform car surgery with a Strider. Got better options for both. :evil: Cold Steel is a good working knife for the money that doesn't need a lot of TLC as long as you use it with a bit of comon sense and care. So they make some toys. I like toys. (Go on, admit it. You do, too.) Really, though, I'd honestly say that they're a big step up from the usual Big Box Mart stuff in terms of value. If I break one, I buy another. Hasn't happened yet, but no biggie.

As for the guys pulling the strings behind the curtain, well, you know better about that than I do, but not a single one of 'em has offered to come do my chores for me. Guess they're busy making a living, too.

I sure do appreciate the knowledge, though. Lots to think about there.

Take care

mgregg85
September 6, 2008, 02:09 PM
I've got a safemaker I. Great push knife, very sharp.

bogie
September 6, 2008, 08:12 PM
I've got one of the Cold Steel spears right next to my front door (you can take the boy out of the city, but hey, he's still paranoid...), and the only time it's come out was when the girlfriend was gardening, and came across an uber-deadly garter snake, and levitated... I panicked, grabbed the closest bad lookin' thing on the way out the door, and used to to do a little poking and prodding, right up until the point where I uncovered the critter, and commenced laughing...

reaperilan
September 6, 2008, 10:16 PM
best damn knives ive ever owned. broke my grandpas buck 110 he gave me in 1998. was gonna by a spyderco but bought the AUS-8 4in voyager 1/2 serrated,tanto tip going on 11yrs old. pried open manhole covers, dug, chopped, and blatenly abused that knife but the blade has never broke.thought i lost it so bought another. baby that 1 it only cuts.also own 2 recon tantos, same problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cold Steel Blades" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!