Non-expensive 9mm

PDA

Confucius
August 3, 2008, 11:14 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. Glad to be here!

Couple of facts: I know a good bit about handguns (own several and shoot regularly) but am certainly no expert.

I own multiple handguns in .45, also .40 S&W, and consider them superior in most respects, but for the purpose of this thread I'm looking for an affordable 9mm, for several reasons (capacity, recoil - if you're really interested).

So, the title says it all. This isn't necessarily a carry gun, although it could be used as such, so size is not the most important criteria. I'm thinking more a general purpose, high capacity weapon that has relatively low recoil. Obviously, by the title of the thread, I need something affordable, no sig 220's here - preferably under $500 but anything thereabouts is not unacceptable.

I have several guns in mind but would like to throw it open to the board....what 9mm works for you?

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-expensive 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartkowski
August 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
Sig P6 works great for me. I don't carry but it works fine on the range. Not much capacity though. I believe they come with 8 round magazines.

Great guns though and they are only $280 give or take $20 depending on where you are.

thatguy123
August 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
I'd say a CZ75B would meet your criteria, great guns and fairly cheap (about $450)

ugaarguy
August 3, 2008, 11:19 PM
I really like S&W 59xx 3rd gen 9mms. Lots of used ones and police trade-ins on the market for great prices.

KingAirDriver
August 3, 2008, 11:28 PM
I was going to say a CZ75B as well. Although I've never owned/shot one, they're supposed to be excellent and fit within your budget. Either a CZ75 Compact Stainless or Sig P6 will probably be my next pistol.

You could look at an XD-9sc, M&Pc, or Glock 19/26. Beretta's new PX4sc is out, but I don't know the price on them. I think most of those can be had around $500, or a tad higher. :)

RNB65
August 3, 2008, 11:29 PM
CZ 75 or Ruger P95.

burningsquirrels
August 3, 2008, 11:36 PM
if it were me, i'd grab a used CZ75... but to be broad, there's a plethora of used glock, fnp9, beretta, and smith pistols out there. cdnninvestments.com has great deals for around 300... add shipping and ffl, you might be looking at less than 350 for a decent pistol.

Confucius
August 3, 2008, 11:39 PM
CZ-75 is in fact on my list - I was hoping perhaps to get some feedback here. I've never fired or handled one, but I may have to check one out. The only thing I've heard (besides excellent reliability) is long trigger pull? Not having fired one, this may not be accurate....

Fleetwood_Captain
August 3, 2008, 11:46 PM
Well how cheap do you want to go?

You could pick up a new Hi-Point for under $200 or a S&W Sigma for under $300. Or you could just get a gently used Glock for under $400.

Myself, I wouldn't mind having a 9mm Colt 1911. I plan on waiting till I can find a good deal on a used one though.

Buying a nine is getting to be a good idea these days. The price of ammo just keeps going up.

burningsquirrels
August 3, 2008, 11:48 PM
Confucius: CZ-75 is in fact on my list - I was hoping perhaps to get some feedback here. I've never fired or handled one, but I may have to check one out. The only thing I've heard (besides excellent reliability) is long trigger pull? Not having fired one, this may not be accurate....

yes, some people find the trigger pull to be a long reach... which is different than a long pull. the newer models come with a recurve trigger that shortens the amount of reach needed to get the finger to the trigger compared to the older models.

check any of the CZ related threads here to see what the going consensus is regarding CZ pistols. :)

Confucius
August 3, 2008, 11:57 PM
Burning, you're right, I meant a long reach. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the USP or beretta's that I have shot, so I'm not sure what to expect from the CZ.

Not sure if I want to go into Hi-point territory....I can definitely afford $300-400+ as of now. Talk to me in 6 months, I may have changed my tune :)

Relayer
August 3, 2008, 11:59 PM
I have a CZ P-01 that I love.

Very accurate, very reliable, and very good looking gun, imo.

Feels great in the hand, natural pointer.

Go to a local store and handle one. If you can find a range where you can't rent one, you just might find that you love it, too.

burningsquirrels
August 4, 2008, 12:03 AM
i've got smaller hands and the DA pull is still fine for me. my fiance is 5'1" and she has no problems with it. :) she shoots USPSA limited division with her CZ, with the factory rubber grips and all.

Ohio Rifleman
August 4, 2008, 12:25 AM
I second the P6 as a quality, inexpensive 9mm. Low capacity, but so what? It's an excellent gun at a great price. You won't be disappointed. Where else can you get a Sig for $300?

Northslope Nimrod
August 4, 2008, 12:39 AM
I've got a CZ P-01. But a 75B or a compact can be had for less. Go with full size for more capacity. Ruger is a good option as well. I've also seen some used Taurus 92's for less than $400.

Blue Brick
August 4, 2008, 12:59 AM
Ruger P95DC

MICHAEL T
August 4, 2008, 01:10 AM
Bersa in full size or compact.
reliable and accurate.

redraidermgr
August 4, 2008, 01:19 AM
CZ or The Ruger. The P89 is a great gun!

Beagle-zebub
August 4, 2008, 02:11 AM
Your price-range gives you a slew of pistols to choose from, but the CZ is the only one that springs to mind that is made entirely of steel. Certain models of the Beretta 92 are comfortably within your range, too, or at least are if you go to Bud's.

Aka Zero
August 4, 2008, 03:12 AM
If you are concerned about long DA pull. CZ75b-SA.

Has a short trigger pull. Single action only, could carry cocked and locked though. Recoil is completely controllable.

Came with 2, 16 round mags. Can take the 19 round SP-01 mags as well.

TyRip
August 4, 2008, 07:27 AM
Don't know what your local shop charges, but you can get a full size or compact M&P 9mm at Buds for 439.

Either way (full size or compact) the M&Ps are a strong value in my opinion.

burningsquirrels
August 4, 2008, 07:42 AM
^^^ on the M&P.... the gun shows i go to, there's usually dealers there who have ridiculous (low) prices. at our shows it's always mincy gun shop from dahlonega, ga... glocks, M&P, XD.... always $450 out the door in 9mm and 40sw all day every show. might want to see where the closest gun show is to you.

bestseller92
August 4, 2008, 08:43 AM
Ruger P95.

wnycollector
August 4, 2008, 09:51 AM
CDNN has new FNP 9mm's with THREE 16 round mags for $378.

I have occasionally seen used Ruger P series guns going for $200 at local gun shows.

NG VI
August 4, 2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah I am picking up an FNP-9m tomorrow afternoon, looks great, paid less than $400 after shipping, can't wait.

Also the CZ-75 doesn't really feel all that long to me, but I kind of have monkey fingers even though my hands are smallish.

Texastbird
August 4, 2008, 11:15 AM
There have been some great prices on the Stoeger Cougar at gunshows around here. Just over $300 for a quality looking piece.

doc2rn
August 4, 2008, 11:22 AM
As Wyncollector said the FNP-9 is an American made pistol that you just have to try to believe.
I dont normally shoot 9s that well due to my small hands. With the adjustable backstrap on the FNP that just went away and it is now my preferred CCW weapon.

blackcash88
August 4, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi-point. :evil:

varoadking
August 4, 2008, 07:43 PM
S&W 5946 or 5943...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106177476

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106401222

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 4, 2008, 07:49 PM
Taurus Millennium Pro PT111 on Buds for about 300.

sophijo
August 4, 2008, 08:19 PM
+1 Sig P6

paradox998
August 4, 2008, 09:13 PM
I recently picked up a CZ75B. I feels great in my hand (I am not a big guy) and is very accurate. I suggest the hard rubber grips. Consider any of the 75's or the P-01. I also added a Kadet adapter to mine. A lot of fun to shoot and inexpensive. I am very impressed by CZ products, both handguns and rifles.

toddmog
August 4, 2008, 09:48 PM
Kahr CW9 or Ruger P95

Ohio Rifleman
August 4, 2008, 10:15 PM
A lot of people are saying a Ruger P95. I have some experience with the Ruger P-series 9mm pistols, and they are fine, accurate and reasonably priced and will take whatever ammo you feed them.

However, they are very big and heavy, not as much so as Hi Points, but still pretty chunky. I know you said that this wouldn't necessarily be a carry gun, but if you bought the Ruger, it'd be pretty hard to conceal.

okienate
August 4, 2008, 10:20 PM
For high-cap solutions, getting decent used Glocks for less than $500 are pretty easy.

While not a high-cap option, I picked up a H&K P7 from CDNN for just over $500 and have really enjoyed shooting the little squeeze cocker. After a couple of sessions at the range getting used to it, I ended up more accurate with rapid fire than any other piece I have.

It is an unusual piece, but it really does the trick for me. I think it is worth a hard look.

Eric F
August 4, 2008, 10:28 PM
For $500 you can get an Eaa some mags and a bunch of ammo. A holster too.

Phonetic Diabetic
August 4, 2008, 10:38 PM
FNP9 from CDNN for $379. Get 'em before the price goes up.

Quoheleth
August 5, 2008, 09:09 AM
People cuss the Taurus line, but few people have complaints on the PT92 (fixed sight) or -99 (adjustable). I had one - traded it and have regretted it since. It did two things very well: FUNCTION and SHOOT WELL/ACCURATELY. You can find these all over the place for $250-300, used. It's an all steel gun, a bit heavy for CCW, but high-cap and DA/SA. Nice thing about Taurus vs. Beretta, the safety is frame-mounted, approx. like a 1911, and some models are decocker as well. While the manual does not recommend it, you can carry it cocked & locked.

Q

capttom
August 5, 2008, 10:16 AM
To me, inexpensive (not cheap) is good. Look at the Walther P-1 or P-5, SIG P6, or the S&W police trade-in 39xxd-4xx-59xx. I just bought a 908 Smith for range/carry that I'm really happy with and it had the box and all the paper work for $370. In a couple weeks I'll either pick up a P-6 or if I decide to diversify from 9mm, get a Rock Island 1911. I've been impressed with the workmanship and the basic models at the show I went to Saturday had beaucoups for <$400.

glocksrfugly
August 5, 2008, 10:37 AM
+1 on the person who suggested a Stoeger Cougar. My Son bought one last fall for around $350 and it is a fine pistol. Relatively light. good magazine capacity, very reliable function and a good shooter. The action uses a rotating barrel with some strong locking lugs and his has never had a fail to feed or a fail to eject.
These are identical to the Beretta Cougars. Beretta now owns Stoeger; Beretta shipped all the original tooling for making Cougars to Turkey which results lower production costs.
I see no quality issues or complaints with the Stoeger. Sometimes I think of trading my son for it; but I just can't give up my CZ75 regardless of how much I like his Cougar. I don't think he would do the trade anyway.

Claude Clay
August 5, 2008, 10:41 AM
you have multiple 45s. im guessing some 1911's. so i'll recommend a
browning high power. fits 1911 holsters. similiar controls as a 1911. used, VG+ condition around $500 in central CT. what you spend extra on the gun you save on holsters.
i rather thought everyone had one already:uhoh:

rellascout
August 5, 2008, 11:40 AM
I have a question? When did $450 to $500 become a cheap gun?

CZ 75Bs the cheapest of their line are now $450+ NIB

To me a cheap shooter has to be under $400

My vote is for the FNP-9 $379 with 3 mags + free holster, mag pouch and training barrel.

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 11:45 AM
my suggestion is still a used CZ if you find it.

Creature
August 5, 2008, 02:25 PM
I recently acquired a P6 which makes for a helluva nice little CCW pistol for under $300.

http://i53.servimg.com/u/f53/12/63/91/01/img_0013.jpg

http://i53.servimg.com/u/f53/12/63/91/01/img_0011.jpg

mothergoose
August 5, 2008, 04:16 PM
Another vote for the P6.

Texastbird
August 6, 2008, 02:12 PM
I like the P6, but the only ones I have seen for sale around here are pretty worn. Where did you get one that nice?

Ohio Rifleman
August 6, 2008, 03:46 PM
My P6 has some finish wear, but so what? Doesn't affect the functioning at all. If you really want, you can get it refinished anyway. Nothing wrong with a little honest wear.

Defensory
August 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
Springfield Armory XD9:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Phil DeGraves
August 6, 2008, 04:19 PM
S&W 915 or 5904/6.

searcher451
August 6, 2008, 04:22 PM
You might want to consider -- strike that; you should consider -- a Walther P5. You can get them from SOG for a reasonable price. They are accurate, reliable, and a handsome, dependable firearm. Here's a link:

http://www.southernohiogun.com/

Rugerlvr
August 6, 2008, 04:46 PM
The Ruger P series can't be beat for sheer value.

BlindJustice
August 6, 2008, 07:03 PM
I first thought the answer to this thread was
Wally Mart WWB BUlk 115 gr. FMJ for $18 and change.

I bought a CZ 75B Blued ( it's black actually but it is NOT the Black
Polycoat. ) in 9MM Luger. The paperwork in Czech(?) indicates
it left the factory Jan. '08 so it has the chromed or polished and
recurved trigger. As well as three white dot Novak wannabe sights,
ALso, not shown in a side view it has a nice full length rib with
11-12 fine serrations for a non-glare sighting plane.

On this Platform:

DA/SA Trigger Pull

It can be carried DA with the hammer lowered to Quarter Cock
-OR- Cocked for SA and thumb safety on. At the range the
DA is a non-issue since charging the weapon puts it into SA mode.
If you want a de-"D" version with a De-cocker, the decocker lowers
the hammer to the Quarter Cock ( I think the manual calls it a Half
"Safety" cocked position )position it shortens the reach to the DA trigger
position - At the quarter cock, it sets the hammer and trigger take up
back about a third of an inch, my trigger finger at that point is
making a 90 degree bend - which is the same position I have the
trigger finger at with my S&W 1911 which has the long
three-holed skeletonized trigger. At SA on the CZ 75B it's even less
reach and the curved backstrap makes it comfortable.

Grip - the stock hard rubber/plastic checkered
grips have ambidextrious thumb rest as well as a palm swell
To each their own, but I think I'll replace them with the
Hogue checkered pattern - it's non-checkerred near where
the thumb wipes the safety.

35.2 oz empty - it soaks up recoil

SLide design, it is similiar to the design of the Sig P210- which
was renowned for it's accuracy. THe slide rail fit is on the
inside of the frame instead of the over the top and wrap around of
the 1911, and many other Semi-AUtos. Indeed, besides being
an inside slide to frame the rails are also Full length from the rear of the slide
up to the forward part of the dust cover/frame. Heck a 1911's
rails stop at the Slide Release/Lock cross bolt

Field strip Take Down/Assembly - with the cammed barrel delay action
& no bushing, it is very simple and easy for cleaning.

715 rds of every kind of FMJ and JHps with 100% reliability, and from
the first magazine it makes me think I'm a better shooter in
terms of accuracy.

My shooting buddy Ralph, has a Glock G19 - I've let him shoot the
CZ 75B and now he's pricing them at Bud's. He'll still keep the
G19 for carry, but liked the heft of the 75B for the range.

*I got it to save some bucks at the range with 9MMx19 and cut back
some on the .45 ACP. While my 1911 was at the gunsmith's it was nice
having the 75B in the bedroom nightstand with it's 16 rd mag,
loaded with 15 147 gr. Rem Golden Saber JHps for sub-sonic HD.

A solid service pistol - I'll tweak it some day but some other
projects are higher priority and it's fine the way it is really

Good luck with your choisce

I've got to put my order in for some a Milt Sparks holster.

Randall

pistolero6869
August 7, 2008, 04:26 PM
I like the Steyer MA-1 9MM very nice yet mostly un known made by EX Glock enginnners Austrian Quality Steyr Mannlicher is a Very Old firearm firm CDNN Sports has them on sale In (mm Or 40S&W Brand new $339.99 with Two Hi cap Mags order thu your local FFL dealer These are a GREAT Deal!

woad_yurt
August 7, 2008, 10:54 PM
How about a Star? They're monster 9MMs. The Mod 28 or 30 hold 16 rounds and, for $500, you can have the gun and 1000 rounds of 9MM.

lechiffre
August 8, 2008, 12:59 AM
there are a lot of choices. i recommend:

right at the 500 dollar limit:

grade b p7 my favorite handgun
cz-75 my favorite double action hi cap 9mm
beretta 92

for a bit less:

walther p5
stoeger cougar
3rd generation s&w

or maybe a sig p6 and a walther p1/p38

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-expensive 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!