colt banker

PDA

dirty dave
August 4, 2008, 01:37 AM
How rare of a pistol is this?When did they make them?I have seen they sell for a lot of cash.But are they all .38 short colt?Just wondering if anyone here has one stashed in the safe or knows anything about them.

If you enjoyed reading about "colt banker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
August 4, 2008, 01:46 AM
I've heard of a "Banker's Special." It was a .38 S&W (not the longer cylinder .38 Special) Police Positive (no Special suffix) with a two-inch barrel.

dirty dave
August 4, 2008, 01:51 AM
Yes that's the one.Chambered for the short .38 colt or s&w

SaxonPig
August 4, 2008, 11:24 AM
Also made in 22 and maybe 32. Uses the old Police Positive frame. Very compact revolver.

Has become very collectible in recent years. Prices are through the roof.

Jim Watson
August 4, 2008, 11:33 AM
Chambered for the short .38 colt or s&w

I'll tell you again, the .38 Short Colt and .38 S&W are not the same and not interchangeable. By the time the Banker's Special came out, Colt had long since changed to .38 S&W for their small frame guns, even though they called it the .38 Police Positive or .38 New Police.

22-rimfire
August 4, 2008, 12:04 PM
The Colt Bankers Special is very collectable. The fact is they have been very collectable for years since they were a relative low production revolver produced from 1926-1940 per the Blue Book.

The 22's are the more desireable and the nickel plated ones are most uncommon. An original box might sell for $1000.

(Added) Why do you ask?

jfh
August 4, 2008, 12:24 PM
I have both a Banker's Special in .22LR and a Detective's Special in .38; both from the early Thirties. They were an inheritance from about twenty years ago. They've both been shot, but basically they are now safe queens to be passed on.

They're delightful firearms--as noted above, the .22 is fairly rare. What specifically do you want to know? (FWIW, most of my info came from Jim Watson--VBG.)

Jim H.

Shade00
August 4, 2008, 01:14 PM
jfh, that's terrific. The .22LR Banker's Special will net a super premium.

As Jim March said, .38 Short Colt is not the same as .38 S&W. .38 Short Colt cartridges will fire in a .38 Special firearm. .38 S&W will not, as the cartridge casing is slightly larger and thus not interchangeable.

dirty dave
August 4, 2008, 02:25 PM
Is the 38 short more or less powerful than the 38 s&w?Are you saying you can shootthe 38 colt in the bankers special or just the 38 s&w?

Will5A1
August 4, 2008, 08:48 PM
Dave - the .38 Short Colt is an old, weak round that will fit in a 38 Long Colt/.38 Special/.357 Magnum chamber, all with a bullet diameter of .357.

The .38 S&W (sometines called the .38 Colt New Police) has a bullet diameter of .360, it is shorter and fatter than any of the above mentioned rounds, and should not chamber in a .38 Special.

mrwilmoth
February 24, 2010, 10:08 PM
They are one awesome pistol, wish I could find one myself!

If you enjoyed reading about "colt banker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!