Berreta Px4

PDA

HeadlandRam
August 4, 2008, 09:33 PM
Since my last thread gave me alot of idea's, I have been searching the net and came across the px4 storm. Does anyone here own one and how are they. I was thinking on getting one ( If funds permit).

If you enjoyed reading about "Berreta Px4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gudel
August 4, 2008, 09:51 PM
I have one. Just like my other Berettas, it's reliable from the get go. It's easy to shoot too, quite accurate.

Olympus
August 4, 2008, 10:01 PM
I have a PX4 Storm in .40. I've had it for a couple years and absolutely love it. I have it listed in the "For Sale" section of this site as well. I used it as my concealed weapon but it's a little large. I'm either going to sell it and get a 1911 or use the money to finish my pilot's license. It's reliable as hell and shoots great. I've put all kinds of different ammo through it and never had a problem. I like to use 165 grain bullets because it shoots about like a 9mm. I have all the original boxes, manual, and everything including the original receipt. Email me at adam.brown@gmx.com and I'll send you some pictures.

cerberus65
August 4, 2008, 11:16 PM
I have a Px4 in 9mm. It's very accurate. It's easy to break down to clean. It doesn't kick much because of the rotating barrel. And it's stylish. Oh, and it didn't cost a fortune. The only downside is it's a little on the large size. I don't think it will get to be my carry gun once my CWP finally comes.

Skofnung
August 5, 2008, 12:03 AM
I work at an indoor range/gunshop and we have one for rent. Most everyone who has tried it likes it. I've not seen any failures to feed or eject even when quite dirty, and it is reasonably accurate.

I don't personally like DA/SA guns, but if I did, the Px4 would be on my short-list.

PhysicsGuy
August 5, 2008, 12:12 AM
Ive shot one in .45, it was alright. It reminded me alot of the G21 that I used to have, kind of floppy. But the truth is, a lot of polymer .45s feel that way. It was an okay gun overall tho.

ewayte
August 5, 2008, 12:37 AM
My local range has a 9mm Px4 for rent and after renting it twice, I bought one last Thursday! I plan on using it at an upcoming Bruce Gray defensive pistol class.

To me, the rotating barrel design makes the 9mm recoil like a .45. Instead of a flip, it's more of a rearward shove.

Marshall
August 5, 2008, 12:41 AM
I think the gun is an unsung hero. The one I shot, I loved. It'll be my next gun of it's class. (Or the FNP)

Olympus
August 5, 2008, 10:12 AM
That's what I'm saying too! It really is an unsung hero, or at least it's failed to catch on. It's in a class with Glocks and XDs and those owners are some of the most die hard I've ever seen. The PX4 just doesn't get it's due diligence. I bought mine because I wanted a polymer pistol that didn't look like a block of steel in your hand. I wanted something with some curves that wasn't just like everything else. And I think the rotating barrel doesn't get enough credit either. It really cuts down on some recoil. And not many guns come from the factory with night sights either!

px4storm
August 5, 2008, 10:16 AM
I have a px4 in 9mm and love it!

It's very accurate, very little recoil, and easy to take down for cleaning!

I carry it in a blade-tech paddle holster concealed with no problems. I have small hands so I changed out the back strap to the smallest one and it now fits my hand perfectly.

Ric
August 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
I have the 40 and like it a lot.
it is full size but very light.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/D-Ric902/IMG_0420.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/D-Ric902/IMG_0432.jpg

rino451
August 5, 2008, 12:11 PM
My wife has a PX4 and it's it indeed a good shooter. Not if only Big B would put the safety/decocker where it's supposed to be, I bet more people would warm up to it.

ETA As it stands it's a safe queen, big time.

Butter
August 5, 2008, 12:40 PM
I had one in .40. Good gun, mild recoil (and I don't usually like .40s for their snappiness) and pretty accurate. Easy to take down to boot. Why'd I sell it?

I have small hands and the double action trigger I had was a stretch. I always had to tilt my grip in order to access the trigger properly. That's despite the small backstrap, which really didn't make it that much smaller for my hands. Also, as mentioned, I hate slide mounted safeties...a Beretta Hallmark. Put 'em on the frame where my smallish thumb can better reach it. :)

SuperNaut
August 5, 2008, 12:40 PM
For me it is not the location of the safety as much as it is the direction.

LegalAlien
August 5, 2008, 12:45 PM
I have a PX4 9mm and am very happy with it. Typical Beretta accuracy and some of the most elegant lines on a modern handgun
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1378/005ue1.th.jpg (http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=005ue1.jpg)

Youngster
August 5, 2008, 02:09 PM
I've tried a rental and while I liked the feel and love rotating barrel actions in general, I found the trigger feel to be be mediocre. The safety/decock setup is awkward too, although if I owned one in that configuration I'd basically use it as decocker only considering the DA pull is long and heavy enough that I think I'd be overkill to keep the safety on for the most part.

Lonestar49
August 5, 2008, 03:48 PM

My NIB Px4 40 ran pure, including smooth DA pulls, and crisp SA breaks from day one, thru the first year with 6450 flawless rounds, and just got better in the accuracy dept.. ;)

For a dependable, reliable, accurate, and one of, if not, the easiest guns to disassemble, inspect, clean, and reassemble, out there, bar none, for 400 - 500 bucks NIB, it's a great investment IMO.

Ls

Bart Noir
August 5, 2008, 04:07 PM
Mine is in .40, and like the others above, I appreciate the lighter perceived recoil of the rotating barrel.

The DA and SA trigger pulls are better than the earlier Beretta designs. Lighter and smoother. And if you read the full manual (RTFM) you see they suggest carrying it in a half-cock position, which makes the DA pull even shorter.

Bart Noir
Who is still deciding about the holster. Maybe IWB, maybe not.

romeo212000
August 5, 2008, 04:08 PM
I have shot one and it seemed like a good gun. But comeon its a berretta. What do you expect?

gudel
August 6, 2008, 01:58 AM
it's a cute small-ish gun.

PX4 in 40 cal, with 17rd mags.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/gudel45/IMG_0456.jpg

Jason_G
August 6, 2008, 01:00 PM
They look like a garden hose nozzle, but I was very highly impressed with the .40 I shot. Very accurate, recoil was less than some 9mm pistols I've shot. I'd buy one if I needed another pistol.

Jason

doc2rn
August 6, 2008, 01:54 PM
Too big for my hands, but otherwise a great weapon.

sadp40
August 6, 2008, 04:24 PM
the slide finish flaking off? mine is flaking around the muzzle.

gudel
August 7, 2008, 12:08 AM
Too big for my hands, but otherwise a great weapon

Can you touch your pinky with your thumb around your wrist? :D

Sadp40, Take pics of your flaking muzzle, I don't have that issue.

Old School
August 7, 2008, 12:09 AM
I have the PX4 in 45 and it is the best shooting handgun I own. I just wish it was more concealable.

recondoc8427
January 20, 2010, 10:31 PM
I bought a PX4 Storm and although I have only taken it to the range once, I had a lot of problems. First magazine went fine, then, I had all kinds of malfunctions, jams, misfire, fire but did not eject round. I loved the way it shot. Very accurate. But I worry that the gun will continue to have these problems. I own two Beretta 92F (same gun I carried in the military) and have taken both to the range straight out of the box TRYING to make them fail by putting 1000 rounds through them of the lowest quality ammunition I could find, never once did they fail. Frankly, worried about the Storm. Any ideas or suggestions?

Boats
January 21, 2010, 12:36 AM
Did you thoroughly clean it prior to shooting it? You really need to examine the mating area between the locking block tooth and the groove in the barrel and make sure it is nicely slicked up.

How many rounds have you put through it?

Is it a 9mm or is it larger? How many different types of ammo have you shot through it?

Finally, did you fill out your warranty card? Gets you three years to sort it out rather than one.

Taurus_9mm
January 21, 2010, 05:23 AM
I think the PX4 Storm in .40 S&W will be my next purchase. I had the opportunity to hold one the other day at one of the two gun shops I visit and was impressed. I did end up getting a Glock 22 however as well as a Remington 870. Next time though. :)

group17
January 21, 2010, 01:11 PM
But have you seen the new PX4C that was featured at the shot show? Over all size is about an inch shorter height and length. A plastic cougar!
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58303

WRGADog
January 21, 2010, 07:04 PM
They are great guns, reliable, accurate, easy to maintain.

recondoc8427
January 21, 2010, 10:10 PM
Took my new gun to the range and the first magazine went fine, but then, I started to have problems. Misfires, jams, misfeeds, round would fire but not eject. Loved the recoil, loved the accuaracy, I got a very nice group at 7 yards. I have two Berreta 92 F (same as I carried in the military) and have gone out of my way to TRY and MAKE them fail, 1000 rounds each, in the rain, crappy ammo, flawless not one problem. This weapon though failed first time out. I reiterate that I loved the accuaracy and the way it shot. But, I seriously question the reliability at this point. I have since taken it home and given it a very detailed cleaning. I will try the range again this weekend. Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Recondoc8427
Semper Fi.

NAK
January 22, 2010, 12:45 AM
I don't own A PX4, I own TWO, both in 40 S&W.

After about 2000 rounds through the first one, I felt compelled to get a "spare". I did buy the model that is decocker only the 2nd time around. The first one had the little pin removed the first time I tore the slide all the way down for cleaning.

I used the PX$ in a defensive pistol course that ran about 1200 rounds of Blazer Brass through the gun in two days. Not a single failure.

I do, at times, carry it in a IWB holster. I is kinda big, but I am a big guy with lots of stuffing to hide it in.

Not a sign of any problems with the finish

HWood
January 22, 2010, 06:54 AM
Just got my PX4 (F) two weeks ago. I took it to the range after work last night and had 0 failures while running 100 of crappy Brown Bear FMJ and some nicer brass-cased RWS ball ammo (100 rds). It was cleaned twice prior to use. I do prefer the lateral girth of the Cougar grip, but I wanted a chin rail and mags that'll fit the CX4.

DERGLOCKINMEISTER
January 22, 2010, 03:35 PM
My son shoots his 9mm PX4 in our league competitions. The last 6 week session he beat me by 1 point ( 6 weeks ,8 targets per night , 12 rounds per target , 120 possible points per target ) 1 lousy point !!! I was alternately proud and pissed ! Naturally I credit his firearm and younger eyes for the win . He has had great luck with his Berreta and even prefers it to his Glock (no accounting for taste )

sillar68
January 22, 2010, 06:30 PM
I bought a type F 40S&W recently. In my experience, it's as or more accurate than its competitors, the recoil is slightly less than it's competitors for the same caliber, and it looks COOL.

The two things that seem to divide people the most on this gun are (1) The safety/decocker. The safety is activated on the Type F and stays on when you decock it. If that bothers you, get the Type G and you'll have a decocker only. (2) The aesthetic design seems to divide people a great deal. It's a very unique, modern design that stands out, and doesn't look like any of it's competitors. Some people call it a "Star Trek" gun, and I like that, as I wouldn't want to own a gun you might spot on a rerun of Mannix, Cannon or Matlock.

Some other controversial things you see come up include the rotating barrel, which I think is an advantage; the polymer portion of the feed ramp, which you should keep away from petroleum-based cleaners; and minor flaking on the slide (as another poster already mentioned).

If you search any of the competitors, you'll find problems with them as well - whether it be cracked slides, bad fit slide-to-frame, poor customer service, bad triggers, FTFs due to limp-wristing...and the list goes on.

atomd
January 22, 2010, 06:43 PM
I've been wanting to shoot one of these for a while. Something intrigues me about the design and the rotating barrel. It's not much to look at and I wouldn't buy one because the safety/decocker is in the wrong place but I wouldn't mind shooting one to see how it is. A lot of people seem to like them.

joe_security
January 22, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have a friend that owns a PX in .45ACP. He loves the gun. He sent the slide to Trijicon for night sights and remains very satisfied with it.

Jacky Treehorn
January 22, 2010, 10:58 PM
My brother has a PX4 in 9mm. It has been dead reliable after about 2000 rounds....I actually don't think he has EVER had a single jam with that thing. It is extremely accurate (he has managed some excellent groupings, very consistently) - and it is by far one of the softest shooting 9mm semi autos I've ever shot. I nearly got one instead of my CZ P01, so that says a lot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Berreta Px4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!