Supressed .50BMG ... why?

PDA

Zundfolge
August 31, 2003, 04:25 PM
I saw this on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=11407976

So what would be the point of supressing a .50BMG? Its not going to make it all that quiet, and I don't see any "Subsonic" .50BMG ammo being sold out there.

Plus wouldn't removing the muzzle brake make that thing a beast to shoot?

Is there a non-dumb reason for a supressed .50BMG? or is this thing just a "Cool Factor" type of gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Supressed .50BMG ... why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CWL
August 31, 2003, 04:31 PM
Don't know how it works and I'm not an Operator either. But my guess would be that it may be useful for true SpecOps anti-material applications.

Taking out enemy aircraft on a runway, radar/communications stations, missle launch site from afar without alerting defenders?

Andrew Wyatt
August 31, 2003, 05:05 PM
it's mostly for blast. the suppressor makes the noise and blast levels about equivalent to a .30-06. this means you can shoot without raising a cloud of dust and dirt.

Hkmp5sd
August 31, 2003, 05:12 PM
By suppressing the rifle, the sonic crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier is the only sound heard (what noise, if any, that comes out the barrel will be masked). When firing a suppressed weapon, other people cannot identify your location. The sound of the crack will actually be heard at a 90 degree angle from the direction the shot was fired.

50 Shooter
August 31, 2003, 05:12 PM
Ask and ye shall receive http://www.ttiarmory.com/subsonic.htm

The suppressor would still cut down on the felt recoil. After standing down range at 1000 yards from a .50 I can tell you that a suppressor and subsonic ammo would help alot.

cool45auto
August 31, 2003, 06:32 PM
I was thumbing thru a police gun mag and they had an article in there about a suppressed 50. The guy said that when it went off it sounded like the rush of air from a big rig's air brakes.

Nightcrawler
August 31, 2003, 06:36 PM
Remember, the primary use for a suppressor on a rifle not using subsonic ammunition is NOT to "silence" the shot, but to make it much more difficult to pinpoint where the shot came from, especially if the person that's listening happens to be standing in a place with a lot of ambient background noise.

Badger Arms
August 31, 2003, 06:37 PM
I don't know, I like it. Where do I get one?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=465333

Taking out enemy aircraft on a runway, radar/communications stations, missle launch site from afar without alerting defenders?Without alerting defenders?? Maybe that should have read without alerting defenders TO YOUR LOCATION! I'd think that a 50 caliber round striking your missile might make a little noise and MIGHT alert you. :what:

EchoSixMike
August 31, 2003, 06:45 PM
http://opsinc.us/video.php

A supressor has much of the same recoil moderation as a brake, and it's much more pleasant to shoot. You're not going to always have time to put ear pro in when you need to use the SASR. One of my Marines didn't wear ear pro when we shot the SASR, and now I have to worry about him having permanent hearing damage!! S/F...Ken M

Kobun
August 31, 2003, 07:45 PM
Supressors:
-Reduce the recoil like a muzzle brake.
-Supress the sound from the burning propellant.
-Reduce dust/snow signature, unlike muzzle brakes that enhance them.
-Makes it harder for the opposite forces to locate your location.
-Is a lot more comfortable to shoot, as you don't get all the blast.
-You can have the spotter next to you, making comunication easier. (Try laying next to a muzzle brake once!)
-Saves your ears.

Supressors are a real plus when it comes to shooting before lunch:
-You can fry beacon on them by wrapping the can in beacon and then use some wire to fasten.
:cool:

Zundfolge
August 31, 2003, 08:36 PM
Thats what I love about this forum ... you learn something new every day :)

Before I saw the video that EchoSixMike linked, I wouldn't have thought that the Suppressor on a .50 would quiet it that much :eek:

Would have been cool if they would have recorded a video of two rifles side by side ... one suppressed, one not.

John Ross
August 31, 2003, 10:19 PM
I have a suppressed Ballard .50 BMG bullpup. 25" bbl, OAL of a M70 Winchester. Sounds like a .22LR with a big whooshing noise after the crack as the bullet goes downrange. You can shoot it without earplugs. Great fun.

JR

September 1, 2003, 05:17 AM
J R - whose brake are you using on your surpressed .50? I've been thinking about one for mine. Thanks. :D

mattd
September 1, 2003, 07:54 AM
You don't need to use subsonic ammo in suppressed weapons, some suppressors lower the bullets speed to sub sonic level any ways.

Nightcrawler
September 1, 2003, 08:04 AM
Mattd: The MP5SD's suppressor does that with standard ammo. They say you can't use subsonic ammo in it, so I'm guessing that standard 147 grain 9x19mm is verboten in the world's most expensive .380.

However, 9x19mm in it's typical loadings has a muzzle velocity of what, 1000-1200 feet per second?

.50BMG typically breaks 2800 feet per second at the muzzle. It'd be a real challenge to slow that down to subsonic speeds in the length of a typical suppressor.

Kobun
September 1, 2003, 11:49 AM
J R - whose brake are you using on your surpressed .50? I've been thinking about one for mine. Thanks
I don't think he has a brake AND a supressor.
A supressor does in fact reduce the recoil by itself. The gas pushes forward on the baffels in the supressor, the same way as gas pushes forward on the baffels in a brake.

mattd,
You don't need to use subsonic ammo in suppressed weapons, some suppressors lower the bullets speed to sub sonic level any ways.
If you are talking about the MP5SD (among others), it is NOT the supressor that lowers the speed.
In the MP5SD the barrel is perforated to bleed off gas to reduce the velocity. This is done before the bullet leaves the barrel and enters into the baffels of the supressor.
Only a supressor with rubber baffels, that touches the bullet would breake the bullet by friction.

Nightcrawler,
The MP5SD will work with 147gr bullets.
But it is produced to be used with super sonic 115 and 124gr bullets.
That is why the barrel bleads off gas, to reduce the velocity.
If you use the allready sub sonic 147gr loadings, you will get an even lower velocity.
The MP5SD is built this way to be able to use standard military ammo, without having to have a dedicated supply of its own special ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Supressed .50BMG ... why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!