What mods do I need to do to my CZ's

PDA

SureThing
August 5, 2008, 12:01 AM
I have a P-01 and 75 stainless on the way. I love to tinker, so what should I do to it when I actually have them in hand?

Mainspring, recoil spring, mod for drop free mags, different sights, any spare parts to get, etc.....

If you enjoyed reading about "What mods do I need to do to my CZ's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PhysicsGuy
August 5, 2008, 12:08 AM
convert to SA maybe, if you dont have a need for DA. Maybe a fiber optic front sight, or a flat mag brake. It just depends on what you are gearing towards. Check out angus's site @

http://czcustom.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=f2343b6c50bac8aa615473ae31581b1d

they have great parts, and great services.

NG VI
August 5, 2008, 12:08 AM
15# mainsprings and competition hammers are what I hear most, I ordered a comp hammer and a three pack of mainsprings for the 40B I have coming in. Comp hammers cost $58 at ghost.

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 12:14 AM
comp hammer is practically a must with a 15 lb mainspring. wish i knew you were getting what you ordered, NG VI... i can honestly say the 13lb is only 97% reliable igniting primer, sometimes worse. switching to the 15lb fixed that.

someday i plan to make an "ultimate 40b answer thread" just for kicks.

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 12:16 AM
also, if you search the CZ forums, you'll find the at-home trigger job threads. those were the ones that got me started. it immediately got me a better trigger pull. just remember, measure twice, cut once, repeat in small increments. YMMV.

3 gun
August 5, 2008, 12:18 AM
Only things I'd do is make the drop free mag mod and a Wolff extra power extractor spring. Other than those get more mags, a CZ big stick, couple good holsters and ammo lots of ammo. It ain't getting cheaper.

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 12:21 AM
^^^ almost forgot. the $3 extra power extractor spring is a must since it's just $3 anyways. it's fun flinging brass 10 feet to the side and smacking the RO. :D

RPCVYemen
August 5, 2008, 12:55 AM
I decided to shoot mine (an AR 24) until I was shooting well enough that a specific feature of the weapon was preventing me from shootting any better - then I would investigate changing that feature. I am not there yet - my skills are the limiting factor. :)

Different strokes for different folks, but it does seem odd to me when folks start trying to figure out how to modify a weapon that they haven't even shot yet.

I am not trying to be offensive - its something I just don't understand. Most of the googahs people like to put on their weapons remind me of the various wings and spoilers that some folks like to put on the back of their cars - "I'm such a hot driver, I need a couple of hundred pounds of downdraft to keep this baby on the road!".

Maybe I am just an old codger, but I see folks at the range wtih 1911s that could win WW III single handed - and they are shooting big groups at 25 yards. Huh? :)

Mike "Just and Old Codger"

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 01:06 AM
i know what you mean. we get people who show up for our weekly fun shoots for uspsa and they've got fancy schmancy stuff and when they shoot a dozen mikes they cut excuses "oh the sights are new, haven't sighted it in yet" or "this is my first time out with this gun, my others are at home" or my favorite "i'm here every week, what about you". sorry, i just help score and set stages every week. goodbye. :D they make for good entertainment. every hobby has them.

retgarr
August 5, 2008, 03:53 AM
Well I've never considered the trigger to be the best, so that might be some good wok to get done.

Clean97GTI
August 5, 2008, 08:26 AM
I converted to drop free.

The only other mod you need to do is put a few thousands rounds through so they can do a trigger job on themselves. ;)

railroader
August 5, 2008, 09:52 AM
Get the tactical sights from ghost holster. Here's the rear, http://czcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=335&osCsid=5850053068d46e7dc6cfc46a9523f0c4. http://czcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=275&osCsid=5850053068d46e7dc6cfc46a9523f0c4 Get the 1.0 fiber optic front to go with it. I have the same sights but the competition version. The comp version is great but the corners are sharp so I had to round them a tad. Very good sight picture. Mark

]

eerw
August 5, 2008, 10:10 AM
get a holster and some mag pouches and go shoot some USPSA and IDPA..
get more mags..

I'd say shoot about 500 rounds through each before switching anything..

then if you still gotta tinker and you like switching parts..

This my basic setup for reliability and trigger for a USPSA production legal gun.

CZ comp hammer, Comp front sight or FO front front sight, tactical rear, modify the 13# hammer spring, mod the trigger spring, mod the FP spring, polish the FPB/recut the FPB lifter ( or pull it out all together) , drop free mag brake, bevel the mag well, flat aluminum grips. polish the trigger bar,
polish the underside of the ejector housing , recut the breech face, polish the underside slide rail. recut the ejector and change the recoil spring.

this will get you in the neighborhood of a 5#DA, 1.8#SA and reliable with all primers.

most of this does not have to be done..but if you like to tinker..

NG VI
August 5, 2008, 10:53 AM
comp hammer is practically a must with a 15 lb mainspring. wish i knew you were getting what you ordered, NG VI... i can honestly say the 13lb is only 97% reliable igniting primer, sometimes worse. switching to the 15lb fixed that.

The three pack is all 15# springs, I wouldn't want to go any lighter, but I have a PCR I'd like to lighten up just a little bit. How difficult is it to change mainsprings?

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
mainsprings - not hard, once you've done it before lol.

i thought you were referring to the calibration pack of 13, 15, and 16...

basically field strip and remove grips, um, then remove the hammer pin so the hammer comes up which makes working the mainspring easier.. then remove the mag brake pin and mag brake, then while pushing down on the plug, you drive out the mainspring pin... before you remove the punch make sure you can control the plug coming out.... then just put in the new mainspring. i think that's everything...

NG VI
August 5, 2008, 11:18 AM
Nah, no calibration pack, I know what I want already, and I've got more than one to add them to.

Sounds good, I am sort of limited in the tools department though, I do have a Glock punch, will that be acceptable or should I pick up something different?

burningsquirrels
August 5, 2008, 11:51 AM
beats me. i went to sears and got their chinese punches for $9. iirc they are 1/32, and 1/16 inch punches that i'm using. whatever fits the hole well, but not too small. too big you bang up the frame, too small and you just tighten the roll pin lol. don't ask me how i know. :banghead: :D :D :D

Deer Hunter
August 5, 2008, 11:59 AM
I added Hogue grips and bent the mainspring so my mags drop free, but that's it. I should send it off for work though.

atblis
August 5, 2008, 01:11 PM
Sounds good, I am sort of limited in the tools department though, I do have a Glock punch, will that be acceptable or should I pick up something different?
The Lyman stuff is cheap and has served me well
For roll pins get roll pin punches
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=191653
Regular
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=465902

FEG
August 6, 2008, 06:22 PM
I've owned over a dozen modern CZ pistols. I've never done anything to any of them, except change the occasional spring or put on some fancy wooden grips. There are enough variants that they ususally already make what I want anyway. (Except for a PCR with a manual safety...)

As others mentioned, shooting a thousand rounds through a 75/85 series pistol is enough of a trigger job for me.

burningsquirrels
August 6, 2008, 06:42 PM
shoot, i just want CZ to bring back the 40b and make a 9mm and 45 version. i like their original 75 frame, but i also am in love with the 40b's frame as well grip and ergo wise with the flat panels.

floydster
August 6, 2008, 07:03 PM
I wish they would make a 38 Super in a 75 B, I would jump on that like a wild cat!!!
Floydster

BlindJustice
August 6, 2008, 07:10 PM
I'll side with the guys saying shoot your new guns, at least 500 rounds
each. 1) it will expose any issue - probably none, but you'll also
familiarize yourself with the weapons, and 2) when you know you want something different/omproved then go for it.

I've put 715 rds through my 75B - I was getting so used to the
SA trigger pull, it took getting my 1911 back to know I want the
trigger job/15 lb mainspring and probably the hammer replacment from
Ghost as well as the drop free mag part.

Question: Does any aftermarket or CZ(?) offer a better shaped
Thumb Safety? I'd like one elongated like a stock 1911 - The BHP
had a similiar shape Thumb Safety as the CZ 75B - Cylinder & SLide
makes an improved one.

Randall

skers69
August 6, 2008, 08:16 PM
PCR with the safety and decocker would make me happy but I wonder if that is to many levers to mess with. Anyway, my PCR has only had trijicon nite sights added to made it almost perfect for me.

I have tinkered with the idea of polishing up the insides but as of now have not tried.

Average Joe
August 6, 2008, 09:13 PM
If I had extra money, the only thing I would do to my CZ. Is buy extra mags, and a lot of ammo, and just shoot it.

rbernie
August 6, 2008, 09:59 PM
I love to tinker, so what should I do to it when I actually have them in hand?Buy lots of ammo and shoot 'em.

They don't need new mainsprings. They don't need farkles. They need to be shot.

In my experiences, about the only 'upgrade' with any marginal utility for a CZ75B variant is installing a Wolff extractor spring.

Calhoun
August 6, 2008, 10:52 PM
Replace or adjust your magazine brake so your magazines fall free. Then just shoot them.

rbernie
August 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Replace or adjust your magazine brake so your magazines fall free.Ya know, I'd forgotten about that one. I've done it to each of my CZs, and it's a mod well worth doing.

Dang good catch. :)

pakmcc
August 7, 2008, 10:55 PM
I've had one of my oldest CZ for about four years now. and I was reading on the CZ forum about tirigger jobs.
I did my CZ75B in 40.(it's one of the most accurate .40;s I've every seen.) I'm not just talking about my gun, I've had and seen several other CZ75's in 40 and they are all very accurate.
A friend came over today and we did a trigger job on his new CZ75B in .40
Both guns came out fairly good, but mine was a little better, we had 16# hammer springs but no 15# springs.
NOw I want to do my CZ SP-01 now. I think I can get the amb. decocker out/off, but I'm not sure about the rest of the trigger block.
the SP-01 seems to be about as accurate as my 9mm Champion. (I"ll put them on a rest one of these days and see.
I"ve also got a TS in .40 that is interestingly accurate.
But there is a P-01 in my safe that could use a little work on the trigger(god! I love these guns.)
Maybe I should do the 75D first???
Pat

Litlman
August 8, 2008, 12:27 AM
I have 2 CZ's at this time an 85 combat & a compact 75. I sold my 75 BD to fund a S&W 6906. That being said, I got into CZ's because of a quality product at a fair price & no need to do any modifications. Bone stock. Mine just run and are balls out accurate right out of the box . I am very happy with them. If I could swing it I would get more!

Cliff47
August 13, 2008, 08:40 AM
I haven't done much to my CZ75B, some Hogue cocobolo grips, a set of tritium sights, and an EFK FireDragon dual-spring recoil reduction unit to replace the factory recoil spring. Then shoot the bejabbers (or try to) out of the pistol. The big thing is to get grips tailored to your hand size.

Disaster
August 13, 2008, 08:55 AM
I've read that CZ recoil springs are marginal. The one in mine is a goofy double wrapped affair.

The triggers can be all over the map but fortunately, take well to honing and polishing.

burningsquirrels
August 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
disaster - in the 40b? sig uses the same wound spring design iirc in their guns, or so sig people tell me.

schmeky
August 13, 2008, 10:35 AM
Disaster,

There were some marginal springs in CZ some time ago. I have not read anything recently about problems with CZ springs. The only reason to change them now is to lighten the DA/SA trigger.

As far a the double wrap spring in the 40B, this is an expensive spring to manufacture. I saw a old Sig 226 years ago with around 30k rounds through it with the original double wrap recoil spring still working.

Beagle-zebub
August 13, 2008, 11:03 AM
Personally, I'd get a fully-adjustable rear sight. I'm leary of fixed sights, perhaps beyond reason.

stevemis
August 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
So, wait a minute. You don't even have these pistols yet and you're already making a list of things to change? My free advice ... shoot the he-double-hockey sticks out of them and only consider changing things that bother you after you're familiar with the pistol.

SureThing
August 13, 2008, 05:11 PM
Actually, I now have the P01 and the Stainless. I have ordered MecGar mags, holster, mag pouches, and just ordered some wolf springs for them. I have a target rear sight on the way and have bought a giber optic front sight.

All guns, unless you spend 2K for them, have room to be improved for the range. Being that said, the PO1 will be left stock but the rociol spring.

After shooting pistols for about 10 years now, I know what I like.

Each gun has it's own "must do" list that many owners agree with.

So far, the CZ's from what I have read need.

A 14lb recoil spring, factory is only about 12lbs.

A lighter main spring, factory is 20 lbs. Even Beretta guys lower this spring in their guns to the Beretta D spring.

The Stainless will soon be modified to have drop free mags.

If I could not tinker, I would not enjoy guns as much :)

NG VI
August 13, 2008, 06:17 PM
I thought factory recoil springs were 16 pounds?

FEG
August 14, 2008, 11:44 AM
14 lbs. is the OEM recoil spring weight for a full size 9mm 75/85 series pistol.

16 lbs. is the OEM recoil spring weight for a compact 9mm 75/85 series pistol.

Add two lbs. for the .40 S&W versions.

NG VI
August 14, 2008, 12:01 PM
Aha! Thanks FEG, I have an extra power compact Wolf spring, would it hurt function or durability to use that instead of stock in my PCR?

USP40guy
October 5, 2008, 12:48 AM
I have had my SP-01Tac for 8 days and shot it 3 times for a total of 450 rounds. Plus dry-fired it about 500 times with Snap Caps. The trigger is already smoothing out.

Give yourself 500 or more rounds for the gun to break in as equipped before you make any judgements. You might just find out there is nothing you need to change.:D

1SOW
October 5, 2008, 01:38 AM
FOR THE 75B the trigger is usually pretty rough: As to "Shoot 500 rds to break it in"....Yes, that works.

OR- Do the the trigger job on the CZForum and have a good trigger before you blow through 500 rds/$100(+/-).

+ 15# hammer spring (This and the trigger job make a huge difference)
It needs to be noted that if you shoot heavy loads--like +P-- the slide spring might have to be increased a pound or two if you lighten the hammer spring to 15#. Both these springs affect the slide/recoil.

+ flatten the mag break (ballpeen and anvil) or buy a flat one from CZ (around $10) if you prefer drop-free mag releases.

* Sights are a personal thing. I really like my fiber-optic front/competition rear from Angus. I usually shoot outside in the sun---this combo is fast.

armoredman
October 5, 2008, 01:41 AM
Nothing. I changed grips only on mine, work perfectly.

If you enjoyed reading about "What mods do I need to do to my CZ's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!