Ruger SP-101 and GP100

PDA

Drgong
August 5, 2008, 10:15 AM
what are the differences between these two models? As I am strongly looking at picking up a Ruger for my self-defense and eventual carry weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SP-101 and GP100" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dadof3
August 5, 2008, 10:24 AM
SP is smaller and lighter, but is a 5 shot. The GP is like it's larger 6 shot brother. I have the 2 1/4 SP101 and love to carry it for my CCW.

Drgong
August 5, 2008, 10:26 AM
if you get the SP with the hammer, can you use it as a SA as well as a DA?

19-3Ben
August 5, 2008, 10:30 AM
That's right. If you pull back the hammer, then squeeze the trigger, it will have that nice SA crisp pull to it.

Drgong
August 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
thanks, just wanted to make sure, as I enjoy that option at the range and in a self defense situation if it allows it.

JohnL2
August 5, 2008, 11:22 AM
The SP101 is a pretty sweet pistol. And don't worry about not having enough rounds to get the job done because it is a revolver. If 5 shots of .357 magnum can not kill what you are shooting at, you might as well start running. With a little practice you can learn to reload pretty fast with a speedloader.
Go to the range and run through some reloading drills to at least get the 'muscle memory' down.
Only downside is that after a few drills the steel gets pretty toasty when you are cradling it while reloading.
The double-action trigger is not bad. The trick is to get the feel. I haul back on it just before I know where the 'break' is. Then I try to finesse it as if it were in single-action. As stated before, the trick is to develop that 'muscle memory' so you are not even thinking about it even under duress.

MortalWombat
August 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
If 5 shots of .357 magnum can not kill what you are shooting at, you might as well start running.That's the advantage of having the sixth round. Because if 5 won't stop what's coming at you, it leaves a sixth to do yourself in humanely as opposed to what a pissed off creature that got shot five times with a .357 would do to you.

Drgong
August 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the laugh Wombat

I think that if the it fits my hand in any way, I am looking at a ruger Revolver for myself.

longtooth
August 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
I own & carry both the SP101 & GP100.
They are both excellent carry guns.

The 101 is my Sunday carry.

W/ an HKS speed loader you can learn to reload quite fast. I know I can start a flame war here but I prefer the feel of a Ruger over a Smith, hands down. You cant go wrong.

As far as fit your hands. There are any # of grip makers that offer a different feel & one of them you will like.
I use factory grips on my GP100 & Pachmyre Grips on the 101.

rantingredneck
August 5, 2008, 02:21 PM
As others have already said, SP = smaller five shooter with 2 1/4 or 3 1/16 " barrel. GP = larger frame six shooter with 3, 4, or 6" barrel (I think some 5" ones were made too).

SP's have fixed sights unless you get one of the new .327 Mags or the older .32 HR mag. GP's usually have adjustable sights unless you go with the 3". Some of the 4" ones were made with fixed sights for LE.

I have a 2.25" SP101 and 2 4" GP100's. Couldn't be happier with them.

Youngster
August 5, 2008, 02:26 PM
I find the SP-101 awefully big for a 5 shooter, the GP-100 in a 3" fixed sight configuration is only marginally larger and difficulty to carry IMO.

MrBorland
August 5, 2008, 02:52 PM
I think that if the it fits my hand in any way, I am looking at a ruger Revolver for myself.

"Fit" is a funny thing. If you get a chance, try shooting it before you buy.

One can do all manner of on-line research, then even pick one up and hold it, but in the end, the litmus test is how it feels when you actually shoot it. I was ready to buy at least one gun I predetermined I would buy. It even felt good in my hand, but my heart sank when I actually shot it. The light was dimmer than in the brightly-lit sales floor, so only then did I notice it was hard to see the sights clearly. I also noticed for the 1st time the trigger radius dug into my finger, and it broke way too late for my taste. When the recoil repeatedly sent the cylinder latch into my thumb joint, I knew this one wasn't for me.

craig_o
August 6, 2008, 09:06 AM
love my 3" GP100. not an easy gun to conceal, but far from impossible.

rantingredneck
August 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
Here's a side by side shot of a 4" GP100 and 2.25" SP101 to give you an idea of the size comparison:

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/stainless%20wheelies/DSC00384.JPG

Hawk
August 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
...as I enjoy that option at the range and in a self defense situation if it allows it.

Somebody's going to post the link sooner or later so it might as well be me.
http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/the_case_for_dao.html

I'm no expert and can't say as I fully understand the rationale, but Cunningham is and does. I'm rather fascinated by the observation that LFI-1 covers the issue of single action in a defensive revolver - I'd like to attend just for that though I'm sure it's an excellent class for a number of other reasons as well.

Virginian
August 6, 2008, 01:54 PM
Unfortunately, they don't make one to fit the SP, but when it comes to speedloaders, Safariland is the name if SPEED is the game.

widgeon
August 7, 2008, 10:18 PM
While I respect Grant Cunningham, I have a friend who is an FBI agent, and taught firearms for the FBI for a number of years. He says that when the FBI issued service revolvers, exactly NONE of them were DAO, based on the idea that the SA option was much preferable for long shots with short barreled weapons. Incidentally, I have been to the range with my friend--he can put five shots from a snubbie into a half dollar sized group at 50 feet, offhand--SA slow fire.

Dr. Snubnose
August 7, 2008, 11:54 PM
I carry a pair of Sp101s daily for the past 13 years...one DAO (minus the hammer spur) and the other SA/DA model...Both are great guns...I couldn't think of a better EDC .357 mag I would want on my waist...both guns have more than 50,000 hot .357 mag load thru em and they basically shoot and look as good as the day I bought em....You can't go wrong, with a Sp101 for carry...Now for the house...the GP100 is a sweet gun....Doc:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SP-101 and GP100" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!