**Do you need to take an exam to purchase a shotgun in CA.?**

PDA

nonbox
August 31, 2003, 05:41 PM
I'm planning to purchase a Benelli M1014. Do you need to take an exam to purchase a shotgun in CA.? Or does the written test only apply to handguns?

If you enjoyed reading about "**Do you need to take an exam to purchase a shotgun in CA.?**" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gunsnrovers
August 31, 2003, 05:52 PM
I bought a shotgun earlier this year (April I think). No issues. No new tests. No special info. No changes for long guns as I recall.

Jeff

nonbox
August 31, 2003, 07:20 PM
So there is no written test at all?

ocabj
August 31, 2003, 08:21 PM
For long guns, no. You just need to be 18 years of age or older, proof of residency (aside from a driver's license, ie: utility bill, auto registration, rental agreement; cell phone bills do not count), and be able to pass a background check. Testing only applies to obtaining a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) to purchase a handgun.

Here's the link to the Firearms Division of the California DOJ Website: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/. Every California gun owner needs to bookmark this page.

Skunkabilly
August 31, 2003, 11:05 PM
Be advised you MIGHT need to show proof of some California-happy safe or you will be required to purchase a lock of some sort. Bring an extra few bucks just in case.

nonbox
September 1, 2003, 03:57 AM
Do I have to buy a DOJ approved lock and present a receipt dated less than 30 days old the day I pick the shotgun up from the gun store?

Kevlarman
September 1, 2003, 04:44 AM
Yes.

Alternatively, you could purchase a lock when you go in to pick up the gun.

Or, you can sign the affadavit that says you own a DOJ approved gun safe.

Pretty simple, eh?

If you enjoyed reading about "**Do you need to take an exam to purchase a shotgun in CA.?**" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!