Suppressor recommendations? 9mm, .45, .308

PDA

FourTeeFive
August 5, 2008, 11:43 AM
I'm looking for suppressor recommendations for the following:

9mm (carbine and pistol)

.45 (carbine and pistol)

.308 (bolt-action rifle)

I'm not worried about keeping the suppressors small in size.

Any comments from current owners appreciated. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Suppressor recommendations? 9mm, .45, .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LiquidTension
August 7, 2008, 04:29 PM
9mm - SWR Trident or AAC Evolution. Trident is cheaper. Both have multiple mounting options.

.45 - SWR HEMS-II comes highly recommended.

.308 - AAC 7.62SD if you want a QD, Cyclone if you want threaded.

AAC is hosting a silencer shoot in September in Red Hill, GA. All of these cans and more will be available for demo.

FourTeeFive
August 7, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thank you very much for the info! Wish I could check that out in Georgia, but it is a long ways away...

taliv
August 7, 2008, 07:22 PM
best bang for the buck is the YHM suppressors, which are dirt cheap and not bad. of course, they're not as good as other brands either. (where good = quieter, more durable, better QD, lighter/smaller, etc)

FourTeeFive
August 7, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'm looking for the best overall in each category. I don't want to waste money, but I don't mind at all paying for quality.

taliv
August 7, 2008, 10:54 PM
I have SEI/Fisher, KAC, YHM, AWC cans and have played a good bit with gemtech and AAC. If you get around to asking specific questions...

I'd really like to get my hands on a surefire and an Ops Inc, but have not yet. They seem to have a great rep. Also, for bolt guns, Jet seems to get paired with some high dollar guns quite a bit. might be worth checking out.

also, check with Zak's Thunderbeast.

FourTeeFive
August 7, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for mentioning Jet; just checked that out and will investigate further.

Unfortunately I have little suppressor experience so I'm hoping those with more experience will mention their favorites in those calibers.

Dan Forrester
August 8, 2008, 05:09 PM
9mm: AAC Evolution 9 or SWR Trident. Trident is bigger but supposedly quieter. I personally own a Gemtech Trinity and have compaired it side by side with the other two cans and the Evolution 9 was the quietest with the Trident almost exactly the same but just slightly louder. The Gemtech was twice as loud as the other two and required hearing protection.

Suppposedly SWR has a newer revamped version of their Trident out now which is from all accounts (even AAC I believe) quieter. However the Evolution 9 is substantially smaller. I like the Evolution 9 the best for a hand gun application.

I would avoid Gemtech since they recently screwed over all suppressor owners by complaining to the ATF over other manufacturers re-manufacturing their suppressors into newer models. Unfortunately before their complaint any manufacturer could completely rebuild from scratch any manufacturerís suppressor including the tube without paying the 200 dollars. We now refer to this as the Gemtax. Besides their suppressors arenít the best out there anyway. I personally own three of their suppressors so am somewhat familiar with them.

I would recommend SWR, AAC, Ops Inc.

I have no experience with .45 or .308 suppressors so really can comment except for the fact that it doesnít seem any .45 cans are really that quiet dry.

I would also recommend going to the Silencer Shoot. If it stops you form one wrong purchase the trip already paid for itís self. After hearing a suppressor in person you might decide you just donít want to purchase one. They really arenít that quiet unless your suppressing a .22 rimfire or a .38 spl lever action or something like that.

Dan

Riss
August 8, 2008, 05:44 PM
Any of the big names will do. Gemtech, SWR, AAC, AWC are all good. Main decider would be how it is threaded, full auto capable, can it be adapted to other weapons or can they be adapted to it. Easy to go with a 308 can for instance and also use it on a 223 if you get it, the gun, rethreaded or get an adapter. Wet or dry use. Do not necessarily want one that is really good wet, and only so so without water or lube. Get one that will fit 45 pistol. Adapt or otherwise use for 45 pistol and carbine, and 9mm pistol and carbine. And a 308 can for 30 cals and 223 also. Have shot them all. All the big names make quality stuff. Figure if you want pistol size, will not holster. If you want quick connect like on mp-5 3 lug, ala Gemtech, or a thread on muzzle can. Or a muzzle can that uses 3 lug connect and put different connectors on all of the guns that will use it.

Riss
August 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
Will absolutely agree that most 45 cans that use lube/water like the AAC are ok when dry. And are amazingly movie quiet when you use water. But water only lasts for about a mag full.

Tarvis
August 8, 2008, 06:12 PM
I ordered a Gemtech Blackside for .45 acp, afterwards a gunsmith friend of mine told me they are the best manufacturer. Like most advice in the firearms world, it has some opinion mixed in, but I guess my gunsmith knows the owner and knows his products.

Edit: The blackside in 45acp can also be used for .40 cal, so I'm told.

FourTeeFive
August 13, 2008, 11:04 PM
Get one that will fit 45 pistol. Adapt or otherwise use for 45 pistol and carbine, and 9mm pistol and carbine. And a 308 can for 30 cals and 223 also.

Does this work that well? Is the performance of a .45 suppressor on a 9mm pistol about the same as that of a 9mm suppressor?

If you enjoyed reading about "Suppressor recommendations? 9mm, .45, .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!