Beretta 96 Mec-Gar 40S&W 15rd Magís

PDA

mulletguter
August 5, 2008, 03:22 PM
Iím thinking of getting a couple of Mec-Gar 40S&W 15rd Magís for my 96 Centurion. Anyone have any experience with them. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 96 Mec-Gar 40S&W 15rd Magís" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jst1mr
August 5, 2008, 03:53 PM
Not exactly, but the 15rd Mec-Gar 9mm mags I have for my 92 run flawlessly...

NG VI
August 5, 2008, 04:31 PM
No personal experience, but if you are going to go over-capacity from what a gun's original mags were designed for, Mec-Gar is definitely the manufacturer to get.

Peter Gun
August 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
if you look at berettaforum.net you will see that there are some issues with these mags. I'm not sure if its a problem for the 96 as much as it is with the cx4 carbine.
In general, the mec gar mags are great. This particular mag is either mismarked from the factory or some sort of new design. I and many others had problems getting these mags to work at all. many complaints that it wont even feed one round. I was never able to get it to feed more than one.
I took mine apart and compared it to 2 11rnd beretta mags and 2 13 rnd mec gar mags. (all marked as for 96). The 15rnd mag has a narrower top than all the others. All other mags can interchange followers, the 15 rnd has a smaller follower and the others wont reach the top of the mag. When I compared the others and the 15 rnd w/ a round in it, it was easy to see that the narrower width of the lips did not allow the .40 round to protrude as far as the other mags. On my cx4, this caused the round to nosedive into the bottom of the feed ramp almost every time.
My personal theory is that either mec gar thought they could make a mag that would work for 9mm and .40 or they mismarked (my mag was clearly marked for 96) a batch at the factory that should have been for 92.
note: the 13rnd mec gar mags i was using were not just the same as the 15 rnd mag minus the +2 base. The body of the mag was different as well.

OFT
August 6, 2008, 03:40 PM
I can't say about the MegGars for a Beretta but I have used their mags in a Hi Power and certainly like them.

Prince Yamato
August 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
Mec-Gar is the manufacturer of Beretta's factory mags. So you're fine with them. You're basically getting an actual Beretta mag without the Beretta label.

mulletguter
August 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
if you look at berettaforum.net you will see that there are some issues with these mags.

Thanks Peter Iím going to pass on the 15 rounderís. I have 3 11rd that have worked flawlessly for years.

I was just looking to spend money on something I donít really need. :)

Peter Gun
August 7, 2008, 02:54 PM
mec gars are generally the best mag supplier, but this particular mag seem to have issues.
If you still want to try it, order it from topgunsupply.com and you can send it back when it doesnt work. I hate to do that to them, but I guess eventually they will send them back to Mec Gar when they cant get one to work with anyones gun

lechiffre
August 8, 2008, 02:11 AM
Mec-Gar is the manufacturer of Beretta's factory mags. So you're fine with them. You're basically getting an actual Beretta mag without the Beretta label.

beretta makes their own magazines.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 96 Mec-Gar 40S&W 15rd Magís" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!