Which 9mm ammo would YOU buy?

PDA

Armueller2001
August 5, 2008, 07:47 PM
I'm going to buy 1,000 rounds in the near future for stockpiling purposes and am trying to decide between these two. I don't currently reload, but am thinking about getting into it in a few years if it's worth it. I shoot a M&P 9mm.

Option 1 - Armscor lead, w/ brass case $155/1k
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/a9mmarm.jpg

Option 2 - Brown bear, w/ steel case $155/1k
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/a9mmbb115.jpg

Is it worth the extra cleaning trouble of lead to get brass cases that I can pick up and reload eventually, or sell? If I remember correctly, 9mm can be reloaded 4-5 times. I may just set down a blanket when I shoot and try to pick up the shells easily that way.

Is one better to store for long periods of time?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 9mm ammo would YOU buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
August 5, 2008, 07:55 PM
Brass cased, even with a lead bullet, over steel cased for the same price, any day.

If I remember correctly, 9mm can be reloaded 4-5 times.Unless you hot rod it, you can get many more.

NG VI
August 5, 2008, 08:10 PM
Armscor!

Armueller2001
August 5, 2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the advice.. I think I'll get the Armscor and just pick up the brass. Do you guys usually put a blanket down or how do you make it easier on yourself?

.cheese.
August 5, 2008, 11:33 PM
sweep other people's ammo away from you first. Then pick up what's near you after your done. Usually you won't find it all.

Guns and more
August 5, 2008, 11:37 PM
Around here, a thousand rounds isn't a stockpile, it's a good start.

PhysicsGuy
August 5, 2008, 11:39 PM
where do they have armscor for 155?

Armueller2001
August 5, 2008, 11:41 PM
aimsurplus.com

PhysicsGuy
August 5, 2008, 11:47 PM
oh okay, I forgot they had some armscor

Bartkowski
August 5, 2008, 11:59 PM
Since they are the same price get the armscor. The brown bear would only get my vote if it were cheaper.

strat81
August 6, 2008, 01:26 PM
I hate cleaning lead.

I'd spend the extra $50 on this:
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=1000rds-9mm-sellier-bellot-115gr-fmj-ammo&cName=9mm-fmj-ammo

But given your two choices... Armscor.

Deer Hunter
August 6, 2008, 01:27 PM
Brown Bear.

I shoot S&B steel cased, Baurnal steel cased, and wolf steel cased in my CZ for IPSC. It works just fine.

romma
August 6, 2008, 01:33 PM
Brown Bear. I have a Kahr 9mm with the polyhexagonal rifling that recommends jacketing.

MCgunner
August 6, 2008, 03:06 PM
I shoot nothing but my own cast bullets for range practice, not a problem, and I can use the brass. So, buy the brass and send me your cases. :D My Kel Tec eats lead just fine and so does my Ruger, quite accurate in fact. I don't own guns that won't.

Hmm, another reason not to spend 200 bucks more on a Kahr......

Bartkowski
August 6, 2008, 03:08 PM
I only look at one site and found a better price on S&B 9mm from ammunitiontogo

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Sellier___Bellot_9mm_115grn_FMJ.html

There are probably even better deals out there.

FranklyTodd
August 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
Ok, I haven't shopped for awhile, but last check WWB at Walmart was about $16 per box of 100, wouldn't 1000 rounds of that.... carry the 1.... be about $160+tax, with no shipping?

What am I missing?

indie
August 6, 2008, 05:00 PM
wwb 9mm is now $20 per 100 + tax

strat81
August 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
For those playing along at home, the link Bartokowski posted is for steel-cased S&B. My link was for brass-cased. :)

putteral
August 6, 2008, 05:12 PM
I would go with the armscor. I have used the Brown Bear and it would not cycle my KP95. Had nothing but problems and ended up selling the ammo. I reload now and haven't had any problems with lead.

GTSteve03
August 6, 2008, 05:34 PM
The S&B that strat81 posted also has sealed primers which will make it even better for stockpiling for the eventual SHTF/zombie situation. :D

SureThing
August 6, 2008, 06:55 PM
I just bought 1k rounds of CCI Blazer from Natchez shooting supplies. I think it was $170 shipped.

gun4funtime
August 6, 2008, 07:29 PM
go with the brass cases.

If you are going to store for a long time, years and years, steel cases and fmj bullets can corrode together causing major pressure issues.

lead bullets will not cause that much more cleaning or fouling unless loaded to "hot". Just shoot a mag of jacketed bullets at the end of a box of lead, and fouling is minimal.

GRB
August 6, 2008, 07:45 PM
Go with this, go with that, as you please; but bear in mind you are thinking of lead bullets for your 9mm pistol. Will your 9mm pistol reliably cycle lead bullets?

All the best,
GB

bestseller92
August 6, 2008, 07:47 PM
Spend a few extra bucks, go to Wal Mart, and get either 10 boxes of Winchester white box FMJ (around $20 per box of 100) or 10 boxes of Remington 115 grain JHP (around $24 per box of 100).

Just my 2 cents.

tblt
August 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
Shop around some more and don't buy wolf for a pistol

hags
August 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
Steel cased ammo is harder on a firearm. Especially those that don't have chrome lined chambers. It's really hard on ejectors.

f4t9r
August 7, 2008, 10:04 PM
armscor would be my choice

Halo
August 7, 2008, 11:05 PM
Personally I would go with the S&B at the link from strat81.

You may have mentioned this already, but what kind of pistol are you going to fire it in? Lead bullets are generally not recommended if your barrel has polygonal rifling.

possum
August 8, 2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the advice.. I think I'll get the Armscor and just pick up the brass. Do you guys usually put a blanket down or how do you make it easier on yourself?
no blanket for me, i normally pick up all of my brass and all the othere brass that is around too.

velobard
August 11, 2008, 11:26 PM
Whatever you buy, first buy a box or two to test in your gun. You won't be happy if you find that you just bought 1000 rounds that don't agree with your gun.

cookekdjr
August 11, 2008, 11:48 PM
Well, I would either:
1. Buy a CZ handgun that is made for steel cased ammo, or
2. Find cheap brass-cased fmj ammo.
Just look a little harder.
-David

rbernie
August 18, 2008, 02:56 PM
FYI - I took delivery of 1000rds of the Armscor last week. On Saturday, I shot a box of 50 thru my CZ85B.

It seemed to shoot OK, but it leaded the barrel REALLY BADLY. I was very surprised at how badly the barrel looked, especially since this pistol does really well with my 125gr cast lead handloads. It took a lot of scrubbing to get all the lead out; dunno if that much work is worth the price savings.

YMMV.

wally
August 18, 2008, 04:00 PM
rbernie's experience seems to have proved what I'd have guessed from the photo -- the Armscor lead bullet is swaged soft lead and will lead very badly unless loaded below about 800 fps.

I had this same bad experience when I first started reloading. Then I learned about "hard cast lead" and have been shooting happy and cheaply ever since.

Haven't had a leaded bore since until the Remington Thunderbolt switched to some kind of polymer "lube" -- took way to long to get all the lead out to be worth ever buying again.

OTOH, if the gun still shoots accurately the lead is just cosmetic, but usually it quickly causes accuracy to disappear. After about 200 rounds of the Thunderbolt, my Ruger 22/45 literally couldn't hit a 10" paper plate at 10 yards!

You can reload 9mm brass a lot more than 4 or 5 times if you don't lose it unless you are shooting max loads which IMHO should only be done in virgin brass or verifiable once fired brass.

--wally.

burningsquirrels
August 18, 2008, 07:16 PM
armscor will work fine. as with any lead bullet, watch for leading.

and fwiw, 22lr thunderbolts are ridiculously retarded. just 25 rounds through my p22 and i had a hard time passing a jag through the barrel. same goes with my 22 rifles after 50 rounds. i almost lost a jag in there. seriously, *** is remington thinking? i haven't heard any good stories about thunderbolts.

Lazarus40
August 20, 2008, 04:46 AM
Price wise - for just 'shootin' ammo - I would look for Sellier & Bellot or Fiocchi ball in the 115 gr. weight. Boxer-primed, good quality brass, and cheaper than most. In defense ammo, both companies also make 115 gr HPs of good quality although I personally prefer The Hornady Gold Dots......to me price is not AS important when my hide is on the line...

powwowell
August 20, 2008, 08:04 AM
burningsquirells said
"armscor will work fine. as with any lead bullet, watch for leading.

and fwiw, 22lr thunderbolts are ridiculously retarded. just 25 rounds through my p22 and i had a hard time passing a jag through the barrel. same goes with my 22 rifles after 50 rounds. i almost lost a jag in there. seriously, *** is remington thinking? i haven't heard any good stories about thunderbolts."

Over on the rifle forum I asked about leading problems with uncoated (copper clad) .22 ammo. I was assured that there was no leading problems with modern .22 ammo. For instance, Thunderbolts were wax coated. Do I shoot up my supply of Thunderbolts or not?

Larry

burningsquirrels
August 20, 2008, 09:33 AM
i bought a 500 brick and was stuck with it. i beat them up in my p22 and i just ran a couple patches through it every hundred rounds. every time i ran it through, i removes chunks of lead from the barrel and ran patches every 50 instead. good thing lead is soft.

i only ran about 25 through my rifle and it wasn't as bad as the pistol, but given the pistol results and how much more effort it takes to clean the rifle, i didn't use them in there.

i just use the cheap federal $12 bricks from now on. if i have to be match accurate, i use CCI mini-mags instead.

eley is expensive, and used by olympic teams. worth the money? i don't think i'll ever pay to find out lol.

Freshgrease
August 20, 2008, 09:38 AM
Pow - I've had problems with them, but I've shot them for ages because I didn't know any better. I have an old semi-auto Winchester from the early 30's that has been gunked up and leaded by these rounds after less than a 100 or so rounds. I clean my guns often and carefully, and the fact that the thing is a heirloom of my family I give it much love.

Do the Federals do that much better?

rbernie
August 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
Do the Federals do that much better?Yes.

burningsquirrels
August 20, 2008, 09:59 AM
IMO the law enforcement folks have done all the important testing that needs to be done. they have the money to try most anything out there, and to try it in bulk testing if it's good enough for them it should be good enough for us if the ammo works fine in our guns.

Guns and more
August 20, 2008, 10:01 AM
I just bought 1k rounds of CCI Blazer from Natchez shooting supplies. I think it was $170 shipped.
Not now. CCI blazer is $10/50 Might as well stop at Wal-Mart.
They did have a good price on S&B 115gr. FMJ at $9.39/50 but when I added the $20 to ship 1000 rnds I was back to Wal-Mart price for WWB.
I keep waiting for the great deal, but it never turns out that way.

onebigelf
August 20, 2008, 10:12 AM
I actually have stopped stockpiling 9mm ball for anything but target practice. Much smaller amounts. Here was my thinking. If you are stockpiling due to concerns about a SHTF scenario, is ball ammo what you are really going to want in your M&P? I keep about 400 to 500 rounds of ball for practice shooting, but I'm reloading XTP and Golden Sabre for stockpiling.

John

wg8170
August 20, 2008, 11:11 AM
...but I'm reloading XTP and Golden Sabre for stockpiling.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but would you mind sharing your approx. per-round cost vs. premanufactued Golden Sabres? Also, where are you buying your GS slugs?

-wg

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 9mm ammo would YOU buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!