My Rossi 462 experience

PDA

Taurus92 in KyleTX
August 5, 2008, 06:52 PM
At the end of June, I took the ill-advised plunge, and bought a Rossi R462 .357mag revolver. I loved the look, the 6-shots of .357, and the price.

Cabela's was kind enough to price match a local competitor, which allowed me to also use my $20 off coupon and Cabela's Club points, ultimately, walking out the door with a $200 revolver.

I also purchased some snap caps to test out the trigger pull, and fell in love with it. The double action was rough and heavy, but the single was incredible.

With a 6-shot .357 snubby, I was excited to see whether it would garner nightstand duty.

Finally, at the end of last month, I found a chance to go to the range.

I started out with a couple of cylinders full of .38special, and was surprised at how little kick there was. (I'd only shot one revolver, and it was 2-3 years ago.)

I was terribly inaccurate with the DA, but did just fine with the SA.

Then, I loaded a cylinder with some .357. (this was my first time to shoot .357).

I took one shot-- "wow, nice kick". I took a second shot-- "hey, this too ain't bad". I took a third shot-- "that didn't feel right."

I took a... "wait, the trigger doesn't seem to work!"

Yes, the thing busted after 15 shots (12 of .38spl, 3 of .357). The hammer wouldn't travel all the way back whether by pulling the trigger or thumbing the hammer back.

Cabela's was kind enough to take it back, and issued a full refund, including the $20 and club points. I asked if they were going to give me credit or simply replace it, but the gunsmith strongly encouraged me like many posters on here have done to others-- get a used S&W or Ruger.

I really wanted to like this gun, and hope that it was just a lemon that I got. But, I'm definitely in no hurry to run out and get a new one (Rossi).

On the bright side, Cabela's was really awesome about the whole thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Rossi 462 experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
August 5, 2008, 07:24 PM
There are many happy 462 shooters. Never owned this model, but have owned 7 Rossis all of which were good shooters. Not sure what happened to your gun. Would like to know, though.

Elvishead
August 6, 2008, 09:59 AM
I still have the "new" Rossi (replacement gun from factory). I shot 300 .38s with no intention of shooting .357, but pick up a .357 round laying about shooting my other .357.

And BOOM! Rossi no shoot any more. It tossed the firing pin spring, after replacing it, the next .357 (#2), broke something that wouldn't let it be cocked.

Sent back ($50 on me!), got "New" gun. Lost faith, bought Ruger SP101. Now at close to $900 in both guns. Opppps! Go ahead, make there day!

Run, don't walk, I'm still in the Rossi prison, or I could sell you mine for a lose, for $300. :neener:

Taurus92 in KyleTX
August 6, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm curious to know, too. I REALLY liked everything about this gun... right until it stopped working. :(

As mentioned, Cabela's most definitely did me right.

Their prices aren't the cheapest, but I'm thrilled with their customer service on the backend, and it's my kids' favorite store.

Virginian
August 6, 2008, 02:14 PM
I have had very good experience with Rossi over the years. I sold several to happy custmers when I was a dealer. Then, some years ago, my daughter picked up a Rossi 68 with a 3" barrel at a gun show. She immediately liked it and the price was decent, so I got it. Well, it turns out she can shoot the devil out of that thing. Shooting baby food jar tops at 20 -25 yards. I could shoot it pretty good too. So could daughter #2. So she wanted one, too. That one shoots as good or better than the first one. A guy at work wanted to sell a (I think it was) Model 851, 38 with 4" vent rib barrel, so I bought it, and that was a really good gun, too. I sold it because I only bought it to help the guy out; I have 44 Special Taurus and a 357 self defense guns, and they are the only double action revolvers I really want or need. I NEED more SAs, and have them.

BattleChimp Potemkin
August 6, 2008, 02:28 PM
IMHO
.357 Snubs to me means they can take .38+p okay. 38+p "rated" snubs means standard pressure.

I had a Taurus .357 snub that was nothing but trouble with .357, but handled hot .38 no prob. But thats me :D.

XDKingslayer
August 6, 2008, 04:34 PM
I have a Rossi 462 also. I've had a few problems with it, mainly each and every last screw coming loose.

It's essentially a Taurus so what do you expect? If you want Smith & Wesson quality you buy a Smith & Wesson not a cheap imported copy.

Mine pretty much eats a steady diet of .357 and Loctite.

Taurus92 in KyleTX
August 6, 2008, 05:12 PM
It's essentially a Taurus so what do you expect? If you want Smith & Wesson quality you buy a Smith & Wesson not a cheap imported copy.

I've got two Taurus pistols (PT-92 and PT-111Pro) that I'm thrilled with, which is why I had faith in the Rossi.

Oh, well.

MCgunner
August 6, 2008, 07:24 PM
Run, don't walk, I'm still in the Rossi prison, or I could sell you mine for a lose, for $300.

Odd, since I can get a brand new one for 249 at Academy here.

Rossi is NOT Taurus. Rossi is owned by Taurus. They do their own thing. I to have three Taurus revolvers, two of 'em M66 .357 magnums. They are tough, reliable, and accurate.

Virginian, I have an old M68 bought in 1981 for my now deceased step-father so I could get my grandpa's S&W M10 back from him (which I still have). It's a 3". He passed away a few years ago and I got it back, little fired, just a home defense gun left in a drawer. Thing is WAY accurate, hard to believe! It's also the best built Rossi I've owned far as fit and finish. It's a very tight gun. I haven't owned a Smith any better, frankly. I've kept it and a little .22. I had a 971 .357 magnum 4" I liked. I did snap a firing pin on it, had to have it fixed. I traded it in on my .45 Colt stainless Blackhawk so I don't really miss it all that

If you enjoyed reading about "My Rossi 462 experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!