Using THR search - tips?

PDA

Owens
August 6, 2008, 10:10 AM
I was looking for the thread on the Boston, Mass. door to door gun search program. My little struggles and weak 'Search-Fu' got me wondering if there are any tips that someone might have to using the THR search. I finally found it, but if I had a better understanding of how to que a search, it would have been easier. (and yes, I know about the google thr). I was wanting to use the built in search.

How to search multiple words or short phrases? etc.?

Are words separated by a space, an '&' or other?

If you enjoyed reading about "Using THR search - tips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Exmasonite
August 7, 2008, 01:10 AM
my web-fu is novice at best but from past experience, i know the search function can be a little finicky.

there's been numerous mention of using Google and adding "site:www.thehighroad.org" to restrict the search to this site... i'm not 100% that's the exact way to do it but there is a way to restrict a google search to a certain website.

hopefully somebody more knowledgable can chime in.

ArfinGreebly
August 7, 2008, 01:50 AM
I did a regular search using this exact phrase (including the quotes) with the "Show Posts" button selected:
boston "door-to-door" gun search

I got 14 hits. The word "gun" was excluded from the search as being too common.

I also did a Google search using this phrase, exactly:
boston "door-to-door" gun search site:thehighroad.org
and got some of the same posts.

Try them both, see which one you like better.

Owens
August 7, 2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks Arfin. That is what I was looking for. I had tried using quotes but was getting no results. I wasn't sure what the search syntax was for THR.

I still think this would be a good place (thread) for those who are steeped deep in the search function to post pointers and tips.

Exmasonite
August 7, 2008, 03:16 AM
there is also a sticky at the top of this subforum about searching... might be helpful to users to post a "FAQ" (and save the mods' valuable time, too)

If you enjoyed reading about "Using THR search - tips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!