Walmart + Box of 30-30= 40 minutes of waiting

PDA

Nero_Atrum
August 8, 2008, 07:12 PM
I had a very annoying experience in walmart this morning. I went to buy a box a 30-30, I get to the counter I buy a box. And then I notice its 30-06. I tell him this and I end up waiting for 40 minutes for a manager to come and help exchange it for a box of 30-30. Just a little venting. Its been a bad day...

If you enjoyed reading about "Walmart + Box of 30-30= 40 minutes of waiting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneshooter
August 8, 2008, 07:33 PM
Ya gotta love the "well trained, professional employees" of WallyWorld!! However you need to check the box BEFORE buying!:D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 8, 2008, 07:35 PM
What blows my mind is the fact people keep expecting great service from a big box discount retailer AND THEN POST ON THE DAMN GUN BOARD EVERY TIME THEY DON'T GET IT!

scrat
August 8, 2008, 07:36 PM
What blows my mind is the fact people keep expecting great service from a big box discount retailer AND THEN POST ON THE DAMN GUN BOARD EVERY TIME THEY DON'T GET IT!hahahaha thats what i was thinking

The_Sheriff
August 8, 2008, 07:39 PM
My dad and I stopped buying from Wal-Mart and switched to Cabelas after a similar situation happened when he bought a box of .40 and they gave him 9mm. Also just the other week I went to buy a knife while my mom was buying school supplies for my brothers and they refused to sell it to me becuase I am not 21, the funny part about it was that I had a 4" blade in my pocket and a 6" blade in my boot. I don't remember there being a law of such in AZ!!!

FCFC
August 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
What blows my mind is the fact people keep expecting great service from a big box discount retailer AND THEN POST ON THE DAMN GUN BOARD EVERYTIME THEY DON'T GET IT!
Hey....we're supposed to post in solidarity with our fellow gunny:

This is an OUTRAGE! Waiting for 40 MINUTES! :fire:

We must boycott Wal-Mart! Again!

Sam Walton must be spinning in his grave...

rainman500_0
August 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
What do you expect from THE HOME OF EVERYDAY LOW WAGES. I do feel sorry for the people that have to work there.

bogie
August 8, 2008, 07:43 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks it's silly to carry a 6" knife in one's boot?

SCKimberFan
August 8, 2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah, it should be at least 9"!!! He needs higher boots. :D

Drgong
August 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks it's silly to carry a 6" knife in one's boot?

I prefer 8' knife myself... :p

highlander 5
August 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
Years ago I purchased a Ruger 10/22 at Wal-Mart took about an hour and a half I complained and they knock off another $25
off the price but I admit I never went there to buy another rifle.
Ammo,never had a problem.

rich0372
August 8, 2008, 07:52 PM
What do you expect from THE HOME OF EVERYDAY LOW WAGES. I do feel sorry for the people that have to work there.

You hit the nail on the head there...plus they know nothing about guns or ammo one day I went there to buy .22's and some .45's when I went to ring out the employee asked me if the .22's were for a rifle or handgun so I said both...the employee looked at me like I said something in chinese. I told them a lot of ammo is for both rifle and pistol.

FCFC
August 8, 2008, 07:57 PM
...the employee looked at me like I said something in chinese.
I wonder how you would have looked at her if she expected you to know what a SKU or an endcap was?

Mot45acp
August 8, 2008, 08:02 PM
when I went to ring out the employee asked me if the .22's were for a rifle or handgun so I said both

The same happened to me for some 9mm. My reply was "Neither they are for my shotgun."

Lady's response: "Oh, okay."

Priceless.

RioShooter
August 8, 2008, 08:53 PM
I've been waiting many days to bash WalMart again. Thank you for starting this thread. I stopped buying ammo at WM because the sporting goods area is usually unattended.

I now reload most of my ammo, and the rest is purchased online or from Academy.

siglite
August 8, 2008, 09:03 PM
IBTL?

Doesn't a mod's signature say: "Thinking of starting a Walmart thread? Don't."

FCFC
August 8, 2008, 09:05 PM
I now reload most of my ammo, and the rest is purchased online or from Academy.

I dunno. I think there is a boycott on Academy. They don't treat gun folks too gently...

Academy sucks (open carry story)
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=382295

Bartkowski
August 8, 2008, 09:17 PM

Ya, low wages...are you kidding? There are places that pay worse than wal-mart. And why feel bad for those people, they chose their jobs. They don't "have" to work there like you said.

Please think before posting.

I usually have good experiences there, and just accept the poor service when it comes to ammunition. The only think that happens to me is some guy trying to sell me the wrong ammo.

Me: Could I have a box of the wincehster 150gr. 7mm rem mag ammo?
Worker: Sure you don't want 9mm instead?

That's about it.

Savage Shooter
August 8, 2008, 09:25 PM
I prefer 8' knife myself...
screw that 12" or nothin :neener:
If you can't cut down a small tree kill a bear and then go play rambo it's not even worth carrying.;)

FCFC
August 8, 2008, 09:33 PM
Me: Could I have a box of the wincehster 150gr. 7mm rem mag ammo?
Worker: Sure you don't want 9mm instead?

http://spankthegimp.tripod.com/icons/rotfl.gif

Poor East Texan
August 8, 2008, 09:41 PM
Just a week or so ago two buddies and I were in WallyWorld in Cleveland TX and the lady that helped us KNEW HER STUFF!

Just had to do a pro-Wally post.....

RacingJake
August 8, 2008, 09:44 PM
Where else can an 80 year old person get a job :what:

I like my knifes to be the same size as my 13 size boots :)

Nate C.
August 8, 2008, 09:45 PM
A. Every time that I am forced to go to Wal-Mart is an exercise in patience and endurance (both of which I am sorely lacking). Fortunately, I am an avid people-watcher, and the freakshow abounds at my local Wal-Mart.

As for the diminished capacity of the guy/gal in Sporting Goods, don't be so harsh. The guy in Automotive probably can't tell you how to rebuild a carburetor either. You get what you pay for. Want expertise? Go to a specialty store...and pay extra for it. Heck, at lost those folks are trying to earn a living.

B. I think a boot knife is pretty much silly regardless of the length. Unless you are Grizzly Adams, in which case it is kind of cool.

W.E.G.
August 8, 2008, 09:46 PM
Thank goodness somebody brought up WAL(red star symbol)MART.

I bet if we could import Chinese ammunition, we'd be shooting 10-cent center-fire ammo again.

Triphammer
August 8, 2008, 09:49 PM
{quote} "I had a 4" blade in my pocket and a 6" blade in my boot. I don't remember there being a law of such in AZ!!!" {quote}

!!!!!! OFF TOPIC WARNING to SHERIFF!!!!

A couple years ago Az re-wrote there weapon laws to include knives. they were never metioned in ARS but the definitions now inclide knives w/ the weapns & say that " a pocket knife in the pocket" is not concealed. Everything else must be open carried w/o a CCW.

jonmerritt
August 8, 2008, 10:00 PM
Well, I have had the local gun shop tell me they don't stock 380 acp. While I am standing there pointing at 9 brand new boxes, all pretty on the shelf. I just pointed and said " Then I'll just take those there then". And I didn't have my glasses on. He must have been fired from Walmart.

Marcus84
August 8, 2008, 10:08 PM
Off topic I know but does Walmart carry .25 acp and if so anyone know the count/price?

Guns and more
August 8, 2008, 10:51 PM
I pass up 3 wally worlds to go to one where the help has worked there more than two days. It's refreshing to ask for help and not only get it but they understood what you said!

Sunray
August 8, 2008, 11:04 PM
"..."well trained, professional employees"..." Paid minimum wage.
"...There are places that pay worse than Wal-Mart..." Name one.
"...The guy in Automotive..." Buddy of mine works in a Canadian Wally World auto shop. He's not a mechanic. Low pay for him too. No self-improvement incentives offered either.
Why would anybody pay for anything they didn't look at first is beyond me.

misANTHrope
August 8, 2008, 11:34 PM
I seem to recall an old saying about there being no such thing as a free lunch.

There's a reason Wal-Mart sells ammo cheaper than Cabela's/Sportsman's Warehouse/big box, which in turn are usually cheaper than your corner gun store. One reason is bulk buying; the other reason is that Wally World doesn't get picky about their sales staff.

The bottom line is this: If you decide to go to a place that sells stuff for cheaper to save money, your expectations should decrease as well. At Wal-Mart, I expect to have to guide the clerk to the proper ammo. This is the price I pay for getting cheap boxes of .40 ammo.

And there's no way I'd trust that the clerk grabbed the right box. I'd be double-checking that for sure, and that doesn't just apply at Wal-Mart.

Nero_Atrum
August 8, 2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah I should have double checked...

denfoote
August 8, 2008, 11:40 PM
All the guys manning the sporting goods counter at my local Wallyworld (# 3407 Buckeye, AZ) are shooters!!
Heck, I've shot with a couple of 'em!!
So, I don't know what the heck yer talking about!!

Valkman
August 8, 2008, 11:43 PM
Half of posts about WM are about how much we hate it and the other half are about how we all buy ammo there. One of those "THR thread inevitables".

Nero_Atrum
August 8, 2008, 11:45 PM
Then I am truly sorry for creating this thread...:o

Hardtarget
August 9, 2008, 12:02 AM
A friend brought his new pistol to the range. He fired six and expressed his disappointment with the accuracy as his group was a bit larger than normal.
I was about ten feet from him...glanced over...and asked if that was the ammo he used. Said he just bought it before coming out to the range.
My next question..."isn't your gun chambered .45 Colt ?" "Well...why are you shooting .44-40?" :D

We did give him a little grief over that...all in a friendly, rough sort of way.

He watches closer now.

Mark.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
August 9, 2008, 01:18 AM
I had a good experience with walmart a couple days ago. I bought a boresnake, 3 cans of CLP and 1 of Hoppes 9, then a box of 500 .22 lr.

Lady knew what she was doing (sorta) so I had no problems.

rocinante
August 9, 2008, 08:20 AM
I had pretty much the same experience as the OP a few weeks ago. Multi clerks would say they are looking for a key but nada nothing. After 40 minutes I got so frustrated I yelled as loud as I could "HELLO CUSTOMER NEEDS HELP IN SPORTINGS GOODS". That got some guys from automotive actively trying to find the dip with the keys. When one came back with the keys he said he told him 'Man there is some dude in sporting goods that wants to kick your ass'.

My wife thought I was nuts. Her technique for Wally World is to go to find the store manager and harass him until something happens.

MMCSRET
August 9, 2008, 08:27 AM
I bought a plastic toilet seat at WM one time, cost $5.00 , best in the house, never felt the need to go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MMMMMMMMMGOOD.

22-rimfire
August 9, 2008, 08:57 AM
It seems that everyone complains about Walmart but they keep going back. What can I say?

With regrad to their gun or ammo product knowledge, it is hit or miss. I don't expect much from them except price. I'm in a Walmart probably a couple times a week. I can't say that about any other store.

I'm surprised that they took the 30-06 ammo back. They have a no return policy on ammo. If they wouldn't accept a return in this case, it would really be funny since you never left the store. :)

Kentucky-roughrider
August 9, 2008, 09:55 AM
I heard the another reason their guns are so cheap is most a factory rebuils. The that are returned to factory under warrenttry. As anyone heard this or is just a rumor. Ethier way, Wally world only, very few caliber of ammo.

TexasRifleman
August 9, 2008, 10:00 AM
I heard the another reason their guns are so cheap is most a factory rebuils. The that are returned to factory under warrenttry. As anyone heard this or is just a rumor.

That's all BS. That's just one more Internet rumor to bash Wal Mart.

They are cheaper because Wal Mart negotiates some of the best wholesale prices on the planet.

As for this thread it's just stupid.

ANY retail outlet is going to have problems now and then.

I buy ammo at my local Wal Mart all the time. Never had a problem, they always have a good selection and good prices and there is always someone at the sporting goods counter.

These threads are just ridiculous.

Orthonym
August 9, 2008, 06:12 PM
Or, in other words, OhmyGod, not another Walmart thread!

At another board I belong to, Aspies for Freedom, Wal-mart threads get very short shrift from the owners and moderators, as they tend to descend to, as the phrase goes, "excessive random bitching."

I agree with the Auties/Aspies; Please, no Wal-Mart threads.

papajohn
August 9, 2008, 06:33 PM
You expect experience and knowledge from somebody who works at WM? Why? Do you expect gourmet food from McDonalds?

I was in WM twice this week. First time, at a store I have never been in before, I was sniffing around for some 22 Ammo. I see an open brick, but can't tell if there are any boxes missing. Sales clerk pulls it out of the display case, tilts it to show me the open end, and two 50-round boxes fall out. I managed to catch them both a few inches off the floor. She thought there were two long boxes in each carton, not ten , like it says on the package.

A few days later, I went to "my" WM store, where I know the female Sporting Goods clerks, both of whom are pretty sharp. I see the older of the two, late 40's or so, and mention that I'm looking for deals on 22 ammo. She steers me to a bargain on some Federal stuff I like, then knocks $5 off a box of .380 ball, because the box is crumpled a little. She knows I'm packing, and is glad of it. We've talked enough for me to know there's a loaded 9mm in her car, to keep her safe on the long ride home to "rural America". She also wears long metal pins in her hair for those times she can't go armed. I wouldn't mess with her, gun or not.

Now you know why this is "my" store. The best part is that it's in the middle of a flaming Liberal part of town, a mile or two from an Incredibly Liberal University. Oases are where you find them.

Papajohn

jnyork
August 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
Then I am truly sorry for creating this thread...

Well, I would hope so!!!:D:D:D

Judicator
August 9, 2008, 08:38 PM
We've got a store here in the Northwest called Bi-Mart, very similar to Wal-mart in some ways, except they actually have good service. I can walk up to the sporting goods counter, say, "I want a two boxes of that, a box of that, and two boxes of that," The clerk hands the ammo to me, and I carry it up to the check-out.

I chuckle sometimes when the blond teeny-bopper is ringing up the items, "chips, peanuts, snapple, 9mm, .357,....did you find everything you were looking for today?"

esmith
August 9, 2008, 11:27 PM

Uhm, excuse me, just what the hell are you talking about?

A little heads up, wal-mart employee's DON'T have to work there. And actually, there are people there making more money than just minimum wage, in fact, it's a little more than you probably think. When the Wal-Mart opened in my town, there were 15 people applying for every 1 position. So obviously, these people are willing to live with these supposed crappy wages you are talking about. Musn't be so bad after all huh?

And please, don't say that Wal-Mart is bad because it sells chinese junk, because i can get the same chinese crap for more at a mom and pop place in the center of my town.

Also, don't say that it's responsible for outsourcing jobs overseas. Even though it may outsource some jobs, the jobs it creates is phenominal. Think about it, all the truck drivers shipping goods to all the wal-marts, all the accountants for wal-mart, all the wal-mart workers themselves, i can go on and on.

rant=over

MICHAEL T
August 9, 2008, 11:49 PM
Maybe china mart should just close up America got along fine with out them. For a long long time.

aomagrat
August 10, 2008, 03:53 AM
Here's my anti Walmart contribution:

I was in the local gunsmith's shop having a gun looked at, when the phone rang. The smith answered the phone and the conversation went something like this:

"How may I help you?..."

"What's the gun doing?..."

"Bring it in and I'll look at it...."

"I need to see the gun to find out what's wrong with it...."

"Where did you buy it?...."

"Then get Walmart to fix it!..."

He slams down the phone and says to me, "Damn cheapskates buy guns from Walmart and then want me to fix them over the phone for free. F***'em."

TexasRifleman
August 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
Here's my anti Walmart contribution:

That's probably more of an anti brick and mortar gun store story.

That kind of thing is a perfect opportunity to help a guy out and show him why he should buy guns from a real gun store instead of a Wal Mart.

Hanging up on the guy pretty much guarantees he's lost a potential customer forever.

That's why gun stores are closing all over the country, they have no idea how to actually run a business.

Hanging up on the guy was a bonehead move and that attitude is why I don't use "gun stores" anymore.

Roadwild17
August 10, 2008, 10:39 AM
As far as I know there are 2 guys in the sporting good area. One knows his stuff and will talk about bullet weight and barrel twist. Te other guy, I have to play the one up, two to the left, yeah thats the one game with every time Im there.

mongocaver
August 10, 2008, 10:54 AM
About 28 years ago I worked in Sporting Goods for Woolco. Woolco was a national chain sort of like Walmart before Walmart became omnipotent. I gained a whole lot of knowledge about guns from the folks that came in. I suggest that you should take every opportunity to teach folks behind the counter when they ask you a question. Throwing out a superior attitude and a wrong answer do nothing to promote gun ownership or our other gun related causes. You might want to remember that those clerks have to deal with a lot of jerks, so when they meet a knowledgable, decent person who has a positive attiude about guns, that person really stands out to them. And might influence how they vote in the next election.

scrat
August 10, 2008, 11:35 AM
i guess the more i look at this thread the more i thinkg.You know 40 minutes of your life isnt that bad really. I mean by the time i get everything out. figure out what load im going to use. Then get all the components together. it will probably be about 40 minutes for me to make up a box of 30-30 rounds. After that though i would be making them like hot cakes.

surfinguru
August 10, 2008, 01:15 PM
I don't get it - I don'tt want to be rude, but YOU didn't verify the box pulled from the shelf ensuring you were given the proper product BEFORE paying your money? THEN after you've cashed out and realized YOU bought the wrong caliber, you post on an internet forum how WM screwed up? Um, ok then....

COMPNOR
August 10, 2008, 01:31 PM
Don't ya know, the customer is always right. :rolleyes:

I've been to several walmarts. If I ever have a problem, its trying to find someone to open up the case. Otherwise, I tell them what I want, and they get it.

Of course, you should verify yourself. And sometimes it can be an honest mistake. One of the walmarts I went to had .40S&W and 9mm mixed together, so if you're not paying attention you can easily get the wrong stuff.

Mal H
August 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
As Justin puts it in his signature:Are you thinking about starting a thread about Wal*Mart? Well, don't.
... and yet it couldn't be resisted?

Come on! Three pages griping about Wal-Mart in the Wal-Mart thread-du-jour is three pages too much. Give it up, people!

If you enjoyed reading about "Walmart + Box of 30-30= 40 minutes of waiting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!