Massad Ayoob?

PDA

The_Sheriff
August 9, 2008, 01:25 AM
I was wandering what gun Massad Ayoob carries and how he carries it. Does anyone know? I have seen him in PD TV several times carrying a glock .45 but am not sure, as a matter of fact I remember they were filming the show in Prescott (where I live) :). Sorry to get off topic :p

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Massad Ayoob?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yeti
August 9, 2008, 01:30 AM
I always get the impression Mr. Ayoob is just your typical, hard core gun nut, and likes a little bit of everything. Some nice revolvers, a good 1911, and some of them new fangled wonder guns. Just a gun nut that get paid to indulge.;)

Bartkowski
August 9, 2008, 01:33 AM
Isn't he a member here? You could send him a PM.

bogie
August 9, 2008, 01:43 AM
Massad Ayoob carries whatever Massad Ayoob wants to carry.

Sometimes it's Jack Bauer, and sometimes it's Chuck Norris. Sometimes he carries both.

Bob R
August 9, 2008, 01:45 AM
If you don't get your answer here, he posted just the other day over at www.smith-wessonforum.com .

I know he pops in there every now and then.

bob

denfoote
August 9, 2008, 02:28 AM
I believe his duty pistol is a Ruger P97 or, at least, it used to be.

lookn4varmints
August 9, 2008, 02:29 AM
He's posted on here as recently as 7/6/08. His member name is his real name....."massad ayoob." Send him a PM and share with us, please.

divemedic
August 9, 2008, 08:18 AM
I saw him at an IDPA match, and he shoots "enhanced service pistol"

TonyB
August 9, 2008, 08:21 AM
Mas could carry a single shot 22 and still beat most of us.......I read a book on monday where he said he carried a glock.45 and a j frame as back up(ankle holster)but it was a couple of years old.

Mr White
August 9, 2008, 10:01 AM
Mr. "Booya" tells Chuck Norris what to carry.

yeti
August 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
Mr. "Booya" tells Chuck Norris what to carry.

Now that is funny. Funny because it's more then believable. even John Wayne would check in with Mas for his appropriate carry piece.(other than a SSA)

Atla
August 9, 2008, 04:45 PM
There was an article in a gun magazine a while back where he was asked that.

His response was that he usually carries whatever gun he is testing for the magazine.

SniperStraz
August 9, 2008, 04:50 PM
If I remember correctly I saw him once with a Glock 26 doing a class.

ruger_dude
August 9, 2008, 04:52 PM
I know he likes his ruger bisleys.

ArfinGreebly
August 9, 2008, 05:15 PM
Mas shoots a variety of stuff.

When I spoke to him last year, he mentioned Glock as a routine carry.

Seriously, though, you can put just about anything in his hand and he'll hit inner rings with it.

I had the pleasure of spending an hour or so with one of the people he's personally trained, and who is one of his trainers for the LFI course series. Bob Smith. Good guy. Also runs the mixed use range near here.

I watched Bob and Mas train shooters for most of day one on the LFI course (got some pix), and watched both of them, when necessary, take pistols the students were using and demonstrate technique. Didn't seem to matter what the gun was, Mas and Bob seemed right at home.

Later, I did a little shooting of my own. I was having trouble staying in the rings. Bob came over and watched for a bit. I handed him my pistol -- one he'd never seen or fired before -- a Taurus PT911 (9mm), and he proceeded to put almost all of a magazine into a two-inch circle at 15-20 yards, off-hand.

Well, okay, it clearly wasn't the gun.

My point is that, when you shoot enough, when you practice enough, when you achieve mastery of the art, you can use darn near anything and get the hits.

When it all goes down, I want him on my side. I know I can toss him whatever's in the bag and he'll be just fine.

jmr40
August 9, 2008, 06:33 PM
My favorite quote that he is credited with. He was once asked about his favorite $1500, 45. He supposedly answered. " A used Volkswagon with a Glock 30 in the glove box."

Leanwolf
August 9, 2008, 06:39 PM
YETI - " ... even John Wayne would check in with Mas for his appropriate carry piece.(other than a SSA)"

John Wayne wouldn't need anything else other than his trusty Colt's Single Action!! ;)

L.W.

Kind of Blued
August 10, 2008, 03:08 AM
I also remember him mentioning that he often carries whatever he is going to be writing about in an upcoming magazine article.

My favorite quote was something to the effect of "Now I'm not a big guy... Once you get all of the guns off of me I'm about ____ pounds."

bogie
August 10, 2008, 03:29 AM
Funny... I always picture John Wayne with either a rifle or a Mac-10...

If Mas is -really- smart, he's buying a lot of stock in some company right now, and tomorrow he'll tell us what he carries...

Sunray
August 10, 2008, 04:25 AM
"...wandering..." You were doing what?
"...Massad Ayoob..." Friendly guy. Unlike most of the high rollers. I still owe him an apology after he sat down with us two Canadian bozos at Second Chance, long ago, and tried to start a friendly conversation. If you read this, Mr. Ayoob, we were in awe. Please accept my apologies for our rudeness.

tinygnat219
August 10, 2008, 09:33 AM
Massad Ayoob is so tough that he:

Tells Chuck Norris what guns to use, and smacks him when he starts going back to the .22 revolvers.

Shows John Wayne the 1911. History is never the same again.

Smacks Jack Bauer around until Jack agrees that plastic pistols are "Ok" to use.

Tells Clint Eastwood that he's not man enough to use the .44 Magnum. Tells Clint to stop using .44SPL rounds and handle the recoil like a man.

Tells Charles Bronson that "shot placement is key" when shooting vigilantes with a nickel-plated .32.

Mentions to Lee Marvin that taking 12 military criminals on a suicide mission probably means he's not on the Colonel's List.

Tells Major Hogan in Stalag 13 to actually leave the camp since the series lasted longer than the war.

Shows up in Colorado for a nice hunting trip when some pesky Russians show up. Extremely peeved at them for messing up his vacation, he recruits some plucky teenagers and then successfully drives the Russians outside North America. A documentary called "Red Dawn" is made. Ayoob asks not to be credited.

Shows Arnold Schwarzenneger that guns actually run out of ammo. Strangely enough, Arnold's next movie is Twins, a comedy.

Mentions to Bruce Willis that when taking on several terrorists, it's a good thing to wear shoes.

Smacks some sense into John Connor and states that bad things tend to happen when plot devices, successfully used in the first 2 movies, tend to suck when an older actor is looking for a new vehicle. He then drives off the newly arrived Terminator machines.

Assists Kate Beckinsale when she is trying to shoot through the floor by hitting "pause" and actively sawing a circle out under her feet, and by secretly reloading her guns.

Shows Jude Law what a Mosin Nagant is.

massad ayoob
August 10, 2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks, tinygnat, for the morning chuckle. :)

As an instructor, I need to stay familiar with the different types students bring, so I generally change guns every training cycle: Glock, Beretta, 1911, SIG, DA revolver, etc. When working in uniform (rare now) I carry PD issue, Ruger P345. When testing a gun for a magazine, part of my testing protocol for defense handguns is finding out how they carry, so as one poster has noted a lot of the time I'm carrying a test pistol.

Guns ain't marriage; we're allowed to be promiscuous with them. There are too many good firearms today to limit yourself to just one.

Best wishes to all,
Mas

1911 guy
August 10, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ask a question and get it straight from the horses mouth. Of course after reading TinyGnats' post, I'm not sure I want to infer Mr. Ayoob is a horse...

silentpoet
August 10, 2008, 10:59 AM
Is that the equivalent of an Elvis or Bigfoot sighting?

Biker
August 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
I always thought that Mas should have his own cable television show focusing on self defense and legal matters.

Maybe call it "Ayoob Tube".

Biker

yeti
August 10, 2008, 11:20 AM
Maybe call it "Ayoob Tube":banghead::banghead:

:neener::D

Colt46
August 10, 2008, 11:36 AM
Thinks that with proper ammunition it's one of the best defensive options available.

pbearperry
August 10, 2008, 11:41 AM
I am not sure but I heard if Obama gets elected,he will offer the AG job to Massad Ayoob.

Mike J
August 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
Masaad Ayoob is way too competent for anyone in Goverment/Politics to offer him a job. He would probably try to do whats right. Goes completely against their principals.

Mrs. Armoredman
August 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
Mr. Ayoob, It's a pleasure to read the advice you have for other shooters. I have a question for you sir. Are you going to write another book?

Mike J, I agree totally. I doubt there is anyone in our Goverment/Politics thats honest.

massad ayoob
August 10, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hi, Mrs. Armoredman:

Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry should be out within the next few months.

best,

Mas

SCKimberFan
August 11, 2008, 08:04 PM
Looking forward to it Mr Ayoob. Keep us abreast of its release date.

GDDYUP
August 12, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hi Massad!

It's a good thing my wife loves your spots on PD TV... I finally talked her into going to Thomas Brown's NRA In Home course at Manchester in October. I told her it was absolutely worth it even just for the Mas video on the final day. That talked her into it! So I'll be taking it for the second time this year just so she has someone to go with! You can never get too much practice in the basics right? :)

massad ayoob
August 12, 2008, 07:03 AM
Hi GDDYUP:

Tom Brown is a fine instructor. I'm sure your wife will be glad she went.

Best wishes,
Mas

B964
August 12, 2008, 08:02 AM
Mr. Ayoob,

Any chance some of us may see you at an Appleseed shoot?

bharen
August 12, 2008, 08:42 AM
Perhaps the biggest favor Mr. Ayoob has done for me through the years is teach me that it is all right to not carry and devote my life to the 1911, that other designs/calibers work equally well in the real world and that things like magazine disconnect safeties actually have a useful purpose.

It's because of him that I carry a S&W 3913.

Thank you Mas!

massad ayoob
August 12, 2008, 10:11 AM
Glad the 3913 is working for you, Bharen. :)

B964: I've been wanting to attend an Appleseed event for a long time, am hoping I can coordinate the one in Hernando, FL after I shoot the IDPA Nationals in a couple of months.

Mrs. Armoredman
August 12, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thank you Mr. Ayoob. I look foward to reading it. Please let us know when the release date is expected.

Ric
August 12, 2008, 04:32 PM
Mr. Ayoob;
I love the proarms podcast thank you for doing it. Are you in Florida permanently (as in semi-retired)

Zeabed
August 12, 2008, 04:41 PM
Mr. Ayoob:

Your books on the SIG and Beretta pistols are the best and most thorough source of useful information on these guns that I've read. Question: Do you envisage writing a similar volume dedicated to the Glock pistols?

TStorm
August 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
I was standing in line for registration at the our State IDPA match. I turned around and said, "#@&^ me! Is that who I think it is? Here?"

Da man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRf_RLdA2qQ

Fun was had by all. It was a good day.

massad ayoob
August 13, 2008, 06:42 AM
Tstorm: They put on a good match at Anderson, didn't they? :)

Zeabed: The Beretta and SIG books were in the Krause series. My old friend Pat Sweeney did the Glock book for that series, and I thought he did a great job. If you haven't seen it, I think you'll enjoy it.

Ric: Am dividing my time between north & south. Instead of "bi-coastal," I'm kinda "bi-Mason-Dixonal." Closest I am to being re-tired is getting tired over and over again...

Mrs. Armoredman: Don't know the date off the top of my head, but it shouldn't be too long.

Best to all,
Mas

Picher
August 13, 2008, 07:12 AM
We were fortunate to have Massad come to a police match that I organized in Augusta, Maine in the early seventies. He whipped us good! I think I still have a picture of the two of us with one of his targets.

That was in the good "old" days, when about all of us used S&W or Colt revolvers with heavy match barrels. His was a tricked-out Smith, as I recall. Mine was a factory Colt Python with a do-it-yourself trigger job. I coulda/shouda had a Smith, but it wouldn't have made any difference that day.

Congratulations on your fine career(s) Massad!!

Picher

Mp7
August 13, 2008, 07:20 AM
Massad Ayoob carries whatever Massad Ayoob wants to carry.

Sometimes it's Jack Bauer, and sometimes it's Chuck Norris. Sometimes he carries both.

Mrs. Armoredman
August 13, 2008, 01:48 PM
Mr. Ayoob,

Thank you very much. I will be looking foward to it.

bogie
August 13, 2008, 02:11 PM
Mas, I gotta drag you over to the dark side, now that you're getting old and de-crepit...

Wanna try benchrest?

stevereno1
August 13, 2008, 04:05 PM
I know that at one time he carried glocks, several different models. I haven't heard anything that differs from that lately. He is a 1911, beretta, s&w snubby carrier as well. I don't think that he is on anyone's payroll, so that tells something about the guns that he carries.

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 13, 2008, 04:09 PM
stevereno1, perhaps you missed post #22 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4798256&postcount=22) where Mr. Ayoob graciously answered the question himself? ;)

KBintheSLC
August 13, 2008, 04:24 PM
I am not sure but I heard if Obama gets elected,he will offer the AG job to Massad Ayoob.

Well, as much as I don't believe in utopia... it is nice to dream. If only the world of modern politics had a place for good fellas like Mr. Ayoob... again, it is nice to dream.

Rachen
August 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hi Massad. You should post here much more often. You obviously have a lot of experience and insights.

massad ayoob
August 13, 2008, 09:35 PM
The kind words are appreciated.

Picher: Hope it ain't hit youyet, but I think I might be gettin' old. Last time I showed up on a police training range with a revolver on my hip, one of the young SWAT studs said, "Hey, aren't you supposed to have a powder horn with that?" :evil:

Mrs. Armoredman: You piqued my curiosity, and I emailed the publisher today. "Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" should hit the warehouse around the 25th of this month, which should put it on the shelves sometime in September. Thanks for the reminder. :)

By the way, you only need to call me "Mr." if you're cross-examining me. Here among peers, it's just "Mas." Rhymes with "brass." (Rhymes with something else, too, but I'd rather leave that alone.) :D

macadore
August 13, 2008, 10:21 PM
I always thought that Mas should have his own cable television show focusing on self defense and legal matters.

Or at least an HBO special. Seriously, think about it. We have experts discussing everything else on television, but no one of his caliber (no pun intended) discussing firearms. I think the ratings would be great.

sm
August 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
Mas,

How is that 28 gauge shotgun doing for CCW for you?

Mas and a 28 ga shotgun!!

Oh...you folks don't know about this do ya?
Well not everything is on the Internet you do realize?

I was standing there with Mas and others looking at this pistol shooting event.
Charging Figure 8 stage
Jerry Mickulek was using a revolver and in typical fashion was fast and had gone for the left target first.

Mas: I think I will go for left target first.
Shooters: Yes, we think we will go for left target first.
Mas: Steve, how would you play it?

Me: I would go for the right target first.
Mas: How come?
Me: Well, this dealie is to replicate being on the streets, correct?
Mas: Yes and what else?
Me: Well ya'll can use them pistols if'n ya want, I want a shotgun and I am going for right target first.

Mas: And...
Me: Look, I ain't you, Jerry M, none of you folks. If this dealie is like the streets, my skinny butt wants a shotgun, and I am going for right target, and using that wall for cover as I keep going right for safety.

Mas: And...
Me: I also see some pretty girls further on the right, and my skinny butt says shoot right, keep using cover on the right as I run to where the pretty girls are.

Did I mention mud?
You don't understand, we are speaking of MUD!

I mean pistols are fine and all, but a shotgun works a whole lot better as a walking staff than a danged old pistol.

*taps head* Smart huh?

Like I asked in the beginnning:

Mas,
How is that 28 gauge shotgun doing for CCW for you?

Yes I know, I am in soooo much trouble now...

Steve

LSU Fan
August 13, 2008, 10:26 PM
wow.. just placed and order for The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery.... guess I'll have to finish it before the 25th.... haha

massad ayoob
August 13, 2008, 11:12 PM
Well, Steve, I gotta tell ya...the 28 gauge chafed WAY worse in the ankle holster than you promised it would...

Just glad I went with the over/under and not that tricked out tactical thing with the drum magazine and all...:scrutiny:

sm
August 13, 2008, 11:45 PM
Mas,
I went with a similar gun you were using in some rain and mud later on...

Put it this way, scooting and shooting quickly became slippin' and slidin'.
If they ever start awarding style points, I gotta chance.

The boy can't shoot , but he sure does slip, slide and fall real nice !

Instead of speedloaders, I went with Speed Strips, with only 4 rounds.
(shoot, get rounds in gun, continue).
Speed Strips do not go "plunk" into mud as speedloaders will.
Then again Speed loaders do not run off with the water as easy as speed strips do either.

And folks wonder why I shoot single shot shotguns...*snicker*

Sending Best -

Steve

Loomis
August 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
To: tinygnat219, post #21

That's a funny list, some of it maybe even true. I'd like to add one...this one's true, honest!

You all may or may not have heard about chuck norris' secret birth defect. He's so tough, that under his beard, he actually has a small fist instead of a chin.

Well, rumor has it that ayoob once pinned chuck down, shaved his beard, and put a pocket pistol in that little fist and made him learn how to use it.

...'swhat I heard, I sure did.

Cacafuego
August 14, 2008, 01:01 AM
Massad Ayoob, in the flesh. (Well, in the... pixels? Keystrokes? Whatever.) Cool.

I have the 6th edition of the Gun Digest book, and will definitely pick up the new one. Mas (heh... cool) seems to write a bit looser, is freer with opinions, than in his magazine pieces.

I think Mas (heh) is the best WRITER of the current crop of gunwriters. Not appreciated enough in the gun press. I enjoy reading stuff by someone who knows how to use the language, whatever they're writing about.

Enough sucking up. I agree with Rachen; you should wander by THR (and Firing Line) more often.

Cool!:D

HuntAndFish
August 14, 2008, 02:25 AM
I think any tactic that lets you "run to where the pretty girls are" can't be all bad. :)

Mrs. Armoredman
August 14, 2008, 07:20 PM
By the way, you only need to call me "Mr." if you're cross-examining me. Here among peers, it's just "Mas." Rhymes with "brass." (Rhymes with something else, too, but I'd rather leave that alone

Ok Mas it is. Your welcome for the reminder. Thank you for answering my questions. I do appreciate it. :)

.38 Special
August 14, 2008, 07:33 PM
As long as we're not ever letting the poor fellow out of the thread, I'll just add that I've always enjoyed his revolver articles -- well, "Wheelwolf" was kind of silly :neener: -- and I hope he'll write as many as the editors will publish.

And how do you pronounce "Massad", anyway?

bogie
August 14, 2008, 08:56 PM
Carefully.

Mrs. Armoredman
August 14, 2008, 08:59 PM
Very carefully.

DrLaw
August 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
Guns ain't marriage; we're allowed to be promiscuous with them. There are too many good firearms today to limit yourself to just one.

Hmmmm, would you like explaining that theory to my wife? I get a gun, she wants something MAJOR! I think the $ to $ ratio here is something like 10 to 1 in her favor. :what:

The Doc, always the poorer for it, is out now. :cool:

massad ayoob
August 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for that, Doc.

Just read your post to my significant other, who replied (in that purry voice that I think they teach them at Women's School), "Awww...poor baby."

You'll get a little more sympathy from me, though.

I used to ascribe to the old advice, "Honey, I bought this Colt Python for you!

Bear in mind, however, they have memories like tape recorders, and will hold you to it. My ex-wife now owns a Swe-e-et Moran Custom Python...:o

Of course, you can always say, "Honey, I was about to run off to Las Vegas with my gorgeous young secretary...but, instead, I went to the gun shop and bought this cool Ed Brown Custom .45."

If you want to try it, Doc, feel free. In the immortal words of Shel Silverstein, however ... "I shall wait for you here." :)

Z-Michigan
August 14, 2008, 11:09 PM
Mas, thanks for dropping by!

Last time I showed up on a police training range with a revolver on my hip, one of the young SWAT studs said, "Hey, aren't you supposed to have a powder horn with that?"

So, did you then proceed to shoot a better score with your antique wheelgun than he did with an M4?

Larry Ashcraft
August 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
I used to ascribe to the old advice, "Honey, I bought this Colt Python for you!
Reminds me of the time I found a killer deal on a Browning A-Bolt in 22-250 with a Redfield 6-18 scope on it ($350).

Problem was, it was December, and we don't buy things we may want just before Christmas.

I walked into the house and said "Merry Christmas dear!".

She hasn't let me forget it. That Browning is her rifle. I'm allowed to clean it and reload for it. If I want to shoot it, I have to ask permission.

Mas, Sadie says "Hi! Grandma won't let me shoot her 28 ga yet, but soon!". ;)

massad ayoob
August 15, 2008, 12:12 AM
I wasn't there to shoot that day, Z...but puttin' a .357 against an M4 ain't nuthin' I'd be wantin' to do...:D

massad ayoob
August 15, 2008, 12:14 AM
Larry, tell Sadie to hang in there. Sometimes, it's just about waiting long enough...:evil:

camacho
August 15, 2008, 01:03 AM
"Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" should hit the warehouse around the 25th of this month, which should put it on the shelves sometime in September.

Glad to hear that, Mas! I will be looking for it in September!

bogie
August 15, 2008, 03:23 AM
Mas, handgun against rifle sometimes ain't that hard... A buddy picked himself up a new scope for a chicom SKS he had... Oooh, wonders...

So we went to the range. And since I didn't completely want to just stand around, I took my favorite 6" full heavy barrel Dan Wesson .357, with a few boxes of handloads ranging from 125 grainer "burn the house down" loads to some 180 grainers that, well, had pretty much the same effect... Just how much W296 is too much, anyway?

Wouldn't you know it, but it grouped better at 75 yards (where the target stands were...) than the newly scoped SKS? And was a LOT more fun to shoot.

Bogie ate well.

homeka45
August 15, 2008, 04:49 AM
Great to hear from a real professional. I just mentioned to the Mrs. this evening that before I retire from the FD I hope to make it to the mainland for Mas's LFI 1 course. I've read the Ayoob Files and the latest edition of Combat Handgunnery. Great to hear he's here as a member.

Japle
August 15, 2008, 11:21 AM
bogie, in answer to your question, "Just how much W296 is too much, anyway?", I don't think there's a limit.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Japle/Flash2.jpg

That was 20 grains with a Sierra 90 gr 9mm JHC sitting on top. I couldn't get any more in the case.
If you look real close, you can see the bullet.

Made you look!!

Also, don't make fun of Mas when he's got a revolver. Last time I squadded with him at an IDPA match, he had a TR .44 Special and kicked all our butts! Well, mine, anyway...

If you enjoyed reading about "Massad Ayoob?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!