Marking Threads as "Read" when they're not

PDA

Piney Woods
August 9, 2008, 02:06 AM
Why is it that if I browse a forum for too long, say, over 1/2 hour, threads in other forums are marked as "Read", even though I haven't even entered those forums?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marking Threads as "Read" when they're not" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Exmasonite
August 9, 2008, 10:36 AM
does it log you off and then you log back in?

Whenever i visit THR, the new threads show up in bold. when i come back, only the threads with posts from the last time I visited show up in bold.

Piney Woods
August 9, 2008, 08:16 PM
No, I don't log off.
For example: Let's say I last visited THR two days ago. I now return to THR at 10:00 and go into "General Gun Discussions". At 11:00 I return to the THR Index then onto another forum. None of the posts in that forum are shown in bold unless they're only a few minutes old. Everything up to about ten minutes ago is shown as "Read" (not bold), even though there may be several dozen that were posted since my last visit two days ago.

Mal H
August 9, 2008, 10:02 PM
There is a timeout of approximately 20 minutes after which thread titles (and thread icons) will change to the "No new posts" color if you have been idle for that timeout period. (Idle meaning not refreshing any THR screen or opening any new page.) The thread colors are not necessarily meant to indicate that you have read or not read any of the threads and posts, they are only indicators you can use when you login each time to see which threads have new posts. They are transient and will not necessarily retain the "new posts" color until you actually open each individual forum.

Personally, I've come to use the post timestamps as they are a much better indicator of whether I have seen a new post or not.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marking Threads as "Read" when they're not" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!